IGNORED

137,000 miles on a K bike

UberXY

I'm stunned, no other way to put it. The amount of money he has spent on parts, maintenance, and the amount billed to warranty is (IMHO) totally ridiculous The 100,000/107,000 mile mark is treated like it is half a million miles.

Shaping my opinion is the fact that I do all the work on everything I own unless it involves super special tools or skills.

I was not ready for all the positive posts telling the guy how he's the man!

Its his bike.

He put the miles on it.

He has enjoyed all of those.

What difference does it make if he wrenched or paid for wrenching?

That I don't get.

Not everyone wants to or has the time.

While the maintenance may be something you want and like to do,

this rider may and seemingly does feel differntly.

The positive replies I took as recognition of putting fairly high miles on his bike.

Like I said in my reply to him, its about the miles and smiles, not the $$$.

You may not agree, but that doesn't make his choice ridiculous, merely different than yours.

Best wishes.

What difference does it make if he wrenched or paid for wrenching?

None, I never said it did.

That I don't get.

Not everyone wants to or has the time.

I never said anything about what other people should do.

While the maintenance may be something you want and like to do,

this rider may and seemingly does feel differntly.

Again, I never said anything about this guy doing his own maintenance.

The positive replies I took as recognition of putting fairly high miles on his bike.

My surprise is that only one person mentioned the amount of money for labor, parts, and warranty (over $30,000).

You may not agree, but that doesn't make his choice ridiculous, merely different than yours.

One more time, I didn't say his choice was ridiculous. I said the amount of money was ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a riding buddy that bought a 85 k100RS new in 84. He has had it serviced by BMW shops since new, over 200'000 thousand on it and has never had the motor apart. Normal upkeep and replaced the drive shaft once. Point is that he has probably spent several times the purchase price in upkeep but it has never left him stranded and will still run at 100mph as smooth as when new. Burns very little or no oil and still shows good compression.

Dennis Andress
I have a riding buddy that bought a 85 k100RS new in 84. He has had it serviced by BMW shops since new, over 200'000 thousand on ...

There was an 85 K100 RS in Tucson that was parked at around 436,000 miles. I forget why he parked it, but it would still start and idle...

Probably rode it like a girl...

:rofl:

howdy you guys.

:wave:

Personal knowledge of owner w/over 320,000 on K100.

Yes it had service done.

Archived