IGNORED

Putting 1200RT on center stand

awagnon

I just had a right total shoulder replacement following an accident. I was told that in the future I shouldn't be lifting more than 30 pounds with that arm. I'm worried I won't be able to put my 1200RT onto the center stand which I do use especially when washing and working on the bike. So, does anyone know about how much lifting pounds it takes to put the RT on the center stand when using all the usual leverage of rocking the bike back, etc. I thought about getting a smaller bike, but my F650 thumper was even harder to put on it's center stand. BTW, being grounded this time of year sucks.

Al

duckbubbles

My guess is that it is more than 30#. Reducing the distance below the rear tire and floor will help, too. You get it close enough and minimal lifting with your shoulder is the result. A properly sized board below the rear wheel and you can lift with just your foot and use your shoulder to steady the bike.

Frank

A properly sized board below the rear wheel and you can lift with just your foot and use your shoulder to steady the bike.

Frank

That's what I did with me F650GS single. In fact, I still have the board sitting in the garage. Maybe when I'm healed I'll have a friend try it first to get a feel for the lifting force before I try it.

duckbubbles

I would suggest starting with the bike on the center stand. Choose the "shim" to just barely clear the tire and go from there. You may just have to lift 1/4 inch or so.

Frank

CoarsegoldKid

Put a heavy boot down on the centerstand lever and push it to the earth. Just guide the bike rear ward with your hands. No lifting necessary.

You me me curious. I was not sure what 30lbs felt like, so I dug out some old barbells for comparison, and headed out to the garage. My first attempt at getting the bike on the center stand definitely felt like more than 30lbs. Then I realized I'd left the bike in first gear. :dopeslap: Standing still in neutral, or with the clutch pulled in, I'd say I'm pulling up on my right arm with 10 to 15lbs of force. I am concentrating on pressing down on the stand lever with as much weight as I can, which is about 215lbs in riding gear. If I roll the bike backward about a foot and then step on the lever, the momentum will pop the bike up on the stand with no upward pull. This is easier than I realized and certainly beats carrying a board with you.

Last year I had rotator cuff surgery on my shoulder, not quite as bad as a total reconstruction but bad enough. I was very hesitant for a long time shifting the RT onto the centrestand.

It really is very easy, the trick is to use your body weight on the centrestand foot, the right arm is just used to steady the bike.

I don't lift the bike onto the centrestand at all.

See something like this

Then again it took me many months before I was game to try this.

I suggest when you do have a friend close by to assist if you don't feel confident.

The rehabilitation from shoulder surgery takes a long time and I didn't ride for nearly 6 months, after hydrotherapy, physiotherapy and some gym strengthening exercises it is no longer a problem.

Good luck with the rehab.

Teddy

and I didn't ride for nearly 6 months, after hydrotherapy, physiotherapy and some gym strengthening exercises it is no longer a problem.

Thanks everyone for the helpful information, especially Teddy who has been through this. I went back for my two-week post-op visit today to have the staples out. The surgeon thought I'd be able to ride locally in about three months and then another month before any real distance. He also said the 30# restriction is for repeated movement and I could lift more than that if I just do it occasionally. So, I'm encouraged, but very impatient.

Al

So, I'm encouraged, but very impatient.

Al

Yes I was impatient too, but try not to be (easier said than done) the surgeon warned me you don't want to rip the tendon off the bone again do you? I said no well he said follow all the advice and if it hurts bad stop, a little pain and soreness is normal.

Try going out on a push-bike first and see how you go then move up to the RT and once you gain confidence, you will build that strength up.

I delayed riding my RT as long as I possibly could but Spring had sprung and I was dying to take it out for a spin so just took it round the block, it felt good so before long I was doing those 2-300km rides easy.

Teddy

I've had Rotator cuff and Labrum repair surgeries on both of my shoulders, the right being worse with a total upper bicep tear thrown in as well. Take your time, rehab it EXACTLY like they tell you. Listen to the Physical Therapists and do your rehab exercises precisely and religiously every day.

Don't get ahead of yourself and start pushing it more than they tell you to. I've seen many guys re injure themselves and go through it all again.

I am a couple of years away from my last surgical repair and while I have no real issues riding ( As long as I take periodic breaks to stretch and get the blood moving through my shoulders,) I am still very careful putting it up on the stand.

At 160 lbs. I just don't generate enough leverage to get it on the stand without a bit of lifting with my right arm and pulling rearward with my left. I can stand on that pedal and nothing is going to happen without a bit of lift.

The best advice I can give you is take it slow, when you're ready to ride, leave it on the side stand for awhile and soon enough you'll start to be able to put her back up on the center stand. I started riding again as soon as I was able to comfortably put on my helmet without contorting my body into it more than lifting it over my head. My bike didn't seem to suffer mechanically from being left on the side stand either so I wouldn't worry about that too much regardless of what people will tell you.

Get well soon, and I hope you're back out there quickly!

Thanks, Firenailer, for the advice. It's hard not to be impatient. I hadn't considered the difficulty in putting on a helmet. I hope that isn't a problem.

Al

I had an FJR which was way more difficult for me to get up on the center stand. A big part of this is that arthritis had limited my range of movement. This range of movement was made worse because the lift "handle" on the FJR was parallel to the bike's length and not at 90 degree like my R1100RT.

My solution, which I would guess can be applied to your RT, was to add a length of pipe to the foot arm on the center stand. It made the job super easy even in flip flops. I never carried this with me, only using it at home, but it could be carried if you felt it was necessary.

Here is a video of the extension in action.

Thanks, Firenailer, for the advice. It's hard not to be impatient. I hadn't considered the difficulty in putting on a helmet. I hope that isn't a problem.

Al

Yes it is amazing the flexibility in a shoulder that is required when putting a helmet on. How could I forget that?

I got new glasses frames just 2 months after surgery and went through the do these frames fit under the helmet? Are they strong enough for repeated insertion past the ears etc.. I had my partner assist me as she could see I was having difficulty.

Thinking about your RT, At the end of the day you can always leave the bike on the sidestand and just move it up when you are ready, no rush..

That pipe idea to give you leverage is a beauty though!

Teddy

I have in my garage 2 @2'x4' 5/8 thick boards spaced say 3 or so feet apart. When I ride the back back in, the front wheel and rear wheel are on the boards. This makes getting bike on the center stand much easier.

I too, have a total biceps tear on my right arm (which I did trying to lift my RT improperly, after the rear end slid out on some wet grass -D'OH!) which I choose not to have repaired, so I've lost quite a bit of strength in my right arm. I use all body weight and get it on the center stand w ease. Pulling the bike forward to get it off the center stand uses more muscles, though...

Man, this getting old stuff ain't for sissies! These torn muscles really stink don't they?

I might try that trick using 2 pieces of 3/4 plywood. Being somewhat vertically challenged and shoulder impaired, I straddle the bike when I push it off the center stand.

Thanks for the tip!

Danny caddyshack Noonan

You could put the bike on sidestand, board next to the rear tire, push the rear end up in the air from the right side and slip the board under the tire before setting back down.

The alternative is to do what the AZ copper does I was told of by an RTP trainer. Dude stands up....still on the bike and can put it up on the centerstand without getting off of it. Probably has 2% body fat too. I have the other 98%.

Put a heavy boot down on the centerstand lever and push it to the earth. Just guide the bike rear ward with your hands. No lifting necessary.

So the bike is still new to me and I have never owned a one with a center stand. I started reading this thread about "lifting" and I also experienced the same issue so I just gave up. Then I read CoarsegoKid's post and thought.... hhmmm maybe that center stand lever actually is there for something more than just dropping the stand down to the earth. Sure enough, I went out to the garage in just sneakers, I pushed the lever down to the ground and this time with my right hand on the passenger grab rail instead of lifting I just held on and kept the bike secure...... I stepped with all my weight (190lbs) on the one foot and the bike went straight up.... no lifting at all.

...With that said..... what are you guys doing trying to lift the darn motorcycle??

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of different ways to do this I suppose. I put 100% of my weight (200lbs) on the center stand pad, requiring very little 'lift' from my upper body. Some guys seem to prefer the opposite approach.. I'm just not strong enough for that.

I've learned to take the bags off to both decrease weight and it allows me to get closer to e bike to put more weight on the center stand. I also had a rotator cuff and bicep repair last March. I didn't get cleared to ride until the middle of June.

One thing I've noticed when putting my 1150RT on the center stand (assuming the 1200RT is similar) is that a very slight gradient either uphill or downhill (not even really noticeable) makes a pretty big difference in the effort it takes.

Like many, I put the bike on the center stand when getting gas. The pump pad looks pretty flat, but it does drain in one direction or the other. Usually when under the pump canopy, point the bike at the building, its uphill. Usually.

When working in the garage, I ride the bike straight in, instead of backing it in. Most garages are, or should be, sloped toward the door.

I never could get the hang of putting my R bike on its center stand. Finally figured out how to stand on center stand tab while sitting on the bike and jerking it back. Sometime having to mash hand brake and finish. always wondered if i was damaging brake hydrolics.

With your bad shoulder i would consider a bike jack stand. Sears has on $84.

Thank you for the instructions on using the center stand. I'm 5'10" 210 and with sneakers no force just standing on the right part of the stand it came right up onto the center stand. I feel like I can rule the world now or at least perform other tasks on my BMW that require me to have it on the center stand.

I'm the original poster of this thread. I'm now seven weeks out from my right total shoulder replacement. Today I took off the bags of the 12RT and put the bike up on the center stand. Like I said earlier, I weigh 155 pounds. Even with all of my weight on the center stand tang and pulling back with my left hand, I still had to lift with my bionic arm. I made it a point to limit my effort to 5 pounds or less on doctor's orders. However I suspect I ended up lifting more than 5 pounds, but did get the bike up. On the other hand, I don't think it was thirty pounds which will be my eventual lifting limit. I'm sure I shouldn't have tried this soon after surgery, but I'm getting restless watching riding season pass me by. ( besides, I'm a physician and we make lousy patients ) I should be released to ride after the 12th week if I don't screw up before then.

• 1 year later...

What's the problem? I weight 200 lbs and have put all my bikes on the center stand with little effort. I have a new to me 2010 RT that just won't go up. I took off all the bags and it still feels like trying to raise 500 lbs?? The bike seems to set low, since I can flat foot both sides, but it has ESA set normal with one helmet and luggage. When I step on the center stand it appears to touch the ground well before the feet look in the right position to do a lift.

Maybe the previous owner lowered the bike by shortening the shocks but did not shorten the center stand? You might need to compare with another bike to determine the differences.

Possible. I will take some measurements. I guess I can live without ever putting it on the center stand. Might have the wife check the site glass for oil level while I balance it vertically. A shorter center stand might be the solution if simple enough to replace.

Archived