IGNORED

'14 RT Prices Post Fix

kltk165

I was told that in CA, any RT's bought back by BMW will have a "branded" title. That doesn't mean a Salvage title, but the title will always say that BMW bought the bike back from the original owner. How this will affect the price at the dealer level on the few bikes bought back remains to be seen. However, it can't imagine it bodes well for downstream re-sales of the bike. Current buyers should probably take that into account. Still, I doubt dealers will have any problem selling the bikes.

I was told that in CA, any RT's bought back by BMW will have a "branded" title. That doesn't mean a Salvage title, but the title will always say that BMW bought the bike back from the original owner. How this will affect the price at the dealer level on the few bikes bought back remains to be seen. However, it can't imagine it bodes well for downstream re-sales of the bike. Current buyers should probably take that into account. Still, I doubt dealers will have any problem selling the bikes.

Really? Is this a change in DMV policy?

I always understood "branding" here in CA as a vehicle that was essentially a total loss and unrecoverable financially...(as in lemon)

Enlighten me. Perhaps I'm behind the times.

MB>

FWIW, BMW is having a record sales year.

GS, GSA's leading the way.

Don't know how hta will influence discounts for RT's (3rd in sales numbers), just something to consider.

There may more than a few ready to move on the 14's ASAP.

???

Can't disagree with this. Seems like there's A LOT of folks looking to quickly hop on good '14 opportunities. Will watch and see what happens over the next couple months

Over here they sell like hot potatoes.

I didn't know until I took mine in and spoke to the mechanic as there was another 1200RT-LC which I thought was the original demo model I took for a test ride.

It wasn't.

It was the "third" bike and not the 2nd, as I thought that mine was the only one sold so far.

This was a demo that was never ridden and already sold. The new owner was waiting for the new shock to take delivery of his new bike for over a months.

And my dealer is having a hard time to get his hands on another demo.

How is that significant?

This is a small dealer ship in a town, which also sells another 2 brands of bikes.

Potential Customers don't care over here if the shock has been replaced or not. Nor are they lining up for the "2015" model.

He has got two customers lined up for a demo ride that want to trade in their K1600's due to those bikes being too heavy to lug around town areas and looking at the 1200RT-LC as the perfect compromise.

So the shock issue might have been a big thing in the USA and UK (at least in appearance on the forums), but in other countries like Australia and Germany, it's caused very little fuzz.

Well, I was wrong..

Thought BMW could manage buying the bikes back without any issue with the Lemon Laws. Either they are not trying to or they cannot. I won't name the dealer this is at, but on the showroom they have a buyback with about 1800 miles. They cannot sell it, plainly listed on the paper attached to the windscreen that it is a BMW owned vehicle and will be sold at auction. In the trunk is what looks like a very official Texas tag indication it is a Lemon Law vehicle.

Will that mean a salvage title? If so that means no ordinary financing, maybe no warranty, and issues with getting anything more than liability insurance. Don't know about all that yet. I was interested in one of these. Now I don't think I would pay 10K for one. We'll see what happens.

Lemon_zps88805ae7.jpg

Not sure what the state of play is in the US but in the UK I think there will a glut of 2nd hand bikes come September,.

I don't think there will be a glut of secondhand bikes in the UK.

Not enough were mover (per dealer) to warrant this sort of 'problem'. Shame really, as I may have jumped for one!

Has anyone been quoted a price on a buyback yet? I've contacted several dealers who said their buybacks are repaired and ready to roll...just no pricing guidance from BMW. I'm sure it's complicated with mileage differences, state law variance, etc. Just wondering if anyone has been given a price.

I don't understand the lemon law issue. This was a recall not a lemon issue. Multiple attempts weren't made. A single solution designed and applied. In NC it met the time requirement but not the multiple attempt to fix criteria.

The Raleigh NC dealer has a repaired buy back selling for 19,000

It's listed on their site for $19,995. No Nav unit included. Warranty clock started the day it first rolled out of the dealership last April.

For that matter has anyone gotten pricing for a new '14 that is discounted off MSRP? 3 local dealers know I am interested in an ebony RT and not one has offered to price one. I know they don't have the shocks for them yet, but that shouldn't keep them from wanting to sell them now that the fix is happening.

I won't be paying MSRP, with or without the GPS, for a 2014 this late in the year.

Really? Is this a change in DMV policy?

I always understood "branding" here in CA as a vehicle that was essentially a total loss and unrecoverable financially...(as in lemon)

Enlighten me. Perhaps I'm behind the times.

MB>

I've been told that "Branded" will basically be a lemon law buy back. So the title will be the same as if it was a lemon law vehicle. How accurate that is, I'm not sure. That's why I started my original post, as well as this one, with "I was told." IOW, I'm passing along someone else's information, so take it with a grain of salt.

Is a new 14 with an msrp of $22,195 be a good deal at $19,800 without the bmw Nav?

Figuring the BMW Nav is probably around $800.....

I would buy a new RT at that price. I think that is a good price all things considered. I assume that bike probably has the premium package, remote locking and alarm?

Don't forget the "hidden" cost of depreciation. The '15's are out, so the '14's are now one model year old, taking a $1-2K (or more) bite out of their resale value.

If you are not planning to keep the bike long, a '15 at a higher price *may* be the least-cost option, even if its out-the-door price today is higher. If you plan on keeping the bike more than a decade, depreciation becomes a non-issue, so the lowest price today (where the '14 and '15 are virtually identical) would be the better deal.

No -- but if they are not in the warehouse in NJ, they're most likely on a ship in the Atlantic. Late September/early October is usually when the next year's bikes start showing up at dealers in the U.S., and the supply pipe is already getting the 2015 bikes BMW starts producing after the mid-/late-summer model change-over break.

I wasn't intending to split hairs here -- the point was the 2015 model year is (ok, effectively) already here, so the 2014's are one year old bikes. Obviously, the 2014s' value isn't going to magically stay up at current-model-year levels right up to the day before the first 2015 actually arrives in a showroom.

No -- but if they are not in the warehouse in NJ, they're most likely on a ship in the Atlantic. Late September/early October is usually when the next year's bikes start showing up at dealers in the U.S., and the supply pipe is already getting the 2015 bikes BMW starts producing after the mid-/late-summer model change-over break.

I wasn't intending to split hairs here -- the point was the 2015 model year is (ok, effectively) already here, so the 2014's are one year old bikes. Obviously, the 2014s' value isn't going to magically stay up at current-model-year levels right up to the day before the first 2015 actually arrives in a showroom.

I'm buying a 14 and the price is going to be retail with the free nav and the warranty extended for six months. I went to two different dealers and both told me that the 15's are delayed until the spring due to the 14's being available. 2014/2015 really makes no difference to me. I really don't care about the depreciation

My understanding is that new vehicle years start September 1.

As I understand the U.S. DOT regulations, a vehicle can be sold in the U.S. as far back as January 1 of the year before its "model year" as long as it is built to that model year's specs, e.g., a 2015 model could start being sold on January 1, 2014. Thus, there is no "official" model year start time in September, that's just when most companies release.

I went to two different dealers and both told me that the 15's are delayed until the spring due to the 14's being available.

Interesting! First time I've heard that -- I'll have to ask my dealer about it.

As I understand the U.S. DOT regulations, a vehicle can be sold in the U.S. as far back as January 1 of the year before its "model year" as long as it is built to that model year's specs, e.g., a 2015 model could start being sold on January 1, 2014. Thus, there is no "official" model year start time in September, that's just when most companies release.

I went to two different dealers and both told me that the 15's are delayed until the spring due to the 14's being available.

There sure isn't much RT inventory right now in the Washington DC area.

Is that a new or used 2014 that the dealer is extending the warranty for six months? Not sure why they would extend the warranty beyond the 3 years on a new bike.

It has nothing to do with the DOT. It has to do with what dealers agree to, to set used pricing. Jerry Reynolds of the Car Pro Show explained it that come Sept 1, all cars are considered a year older. I imagine that motorcycles work on a similar system as NADA/KBB/Edmunds must work off the same rules when assessing a vehicles value and it doesn't matter if you buy a 2015 on september 1 of the current year or August 31 of the following year.

I'm buying a 14 and the price is going to be retail with the free nav and the warranty extended for six months. I went to two different dealers and both told me that the 15's are delayed until the spring due to the 14's being available. 2014/2015 really makes no difference to me. I really don't care about the depreciation

The dealers are wrong. I have a '15 that is arriving in New Jersey on the 20th of this month and I should have it about 2 weeks later. I know of one other person who said he had a '15 on the same ship.

Sounds like dealers are putting anything out there to get people to gobble up '14 models now instead of waiting for 2015's.

Can't disagree with what was said earlier about depreciation. If you're the type to trade up every 5 years or so a 2015 might be a better trade in value bike. However, if you're a long term owner, it really isn't gonna matter what the resale value will be down the road and you might as well save the money now. Just my .02 cents.

Is that a new or used 2014 that the dealer is extending the warranty for six months? Not sure why they would extend the warranty beyond the 3 years on a new bike.

Technically the bike is used but it has zero miles.

Owner trailered it home, was advised of the do not ride and trailered it back the next day

My dealer has four 14's with two more coming... Cycletrader is flooded with 14's and more to come after dealer auctions... I'm waiting; BMW is going to have to give more than just the NAV... K1600GTs have $1,500 rebates I'm thimnking 14's will have same...

I passed on the Nav and bought a new leftover 14, fully loaded with MSRP of $22,195 for $19,800. So I guess that means I paid $20,600 since the Nav is $800. I think $1600 off msrp is pretty good.

As of Friday the two dealerships I was working with still could not get pricing info from BMW on their buybacks. However, they both had deals on trade-in bikes from RT owners that chose that option. I picked up a fully loaded Quartz Blue RT with 1200 miles, top case w/brake light, and the Garmin Nav unit. The top case was painted Quartz Blue to match. The price I paid was in the 20% off MSRP range. Maybe paid too much according to opinions on other posts but I am very pleased with the deal.

Under $18K? No. BMW Website calculates the MSRP at $25,158 for what I described: premium package + SAP + Anti-theft + central locking + Nav + top case w/brake light. Not sure what it cost the previous owner to have the top case painted but that was worth something to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up my 14 R1200 RT, 300 mile repurchased unit for $18,945. Best price I found and the dealer said the price was circumvented by BMW. FYI

So my 2015 model RT LE with all the extras is due in to dealer next week in the UK.

It has keyless, and is in Calisto Grey.

I had a 'special reduction' of approx US$2300 applied and a buy back of my 2013 RT.

Hopefully a worthwhile discount!

My dealer told me the 15's will be essentiall the same mechanical 14's and not start produciton till 2015 due to unsold 2014 inventory. ???

That's rubbish as already multiple customers have their 2015 model right now.

multiple customers have their 2015 model right now.

Are you sure about that?

I have heard people 'promised' them but not heard about actual possession taking place!

multiple customers have their 2015 model right now.

Are you sure about that?

I have heard people 'promised' them but not heard about actual possession taking place!

My dealer told me the same as an earlier poster, regarding delay of 15's. I have not heard of anyone in the US actually I receiving a 15. I have read that some indicated their ride was on the boat or in a warehouse but ......

Interesting. It is strange we have not seen anything from around the world on these hallowed pages. Looking forward to seeing what people will do with that new 'unfinished' front end on the blue bike.

BMW used to have a production plan and run certain model then switch, best I can recall.

Can't see them switching that up for the shock recall.

• 2 weeks later...
Mike the Ghoul

Sorry to resurrect this oldie. But, I am picking up my new 2014 this Friday. I think I got a good price, I'm happy with it. It includes the Nav 5, I decided to take it rather than the cash. But, when I checked the BMW web site yesterday I noticed that they are listing the Nav unit under promotions and also listing a 800 rebate as a promotion. Does anyone know if they both apply? I will talk to my dealer when I pick up the bike.

I put my down payment on it last week before the beginning of October, but have not signed any paperwork yet.

The "value" of the free GPS promotion is $799 or $800. I believe you can get the cash instead of the GPS, but not both. If you can stand for the BMW site to load, it doesn't say the offers can be combined.

Archived