IGNORED

'14 RT Prices Post Fix

kltk165

I realize this topic could be opening up an oil thread, but, here goes anyway.

Spoke to my salesman briefly today about the possibility of picking up a returned '14 RT after the fix has been applied. He indicated to date none of their RT buyers have chosen the buy back option. However, he has several in stock and won't know what pricing will look like until after the fix is applied to their in-stock units. As I've been following the other threads regarding the recall, it seems that many are gun shy about the '14 model year because of the problem with the shock. Having said all that, what are your thought's on how the recall is going to effect '14 model prices?

Not sure what the state of play is in the US but in the UK I think there will a glut of 2nd hand bikes come September, not just 2014 RTs. I know of a few people who ordered their bikes but were yet to receive them when the stop-ride came so are still riding the bikes they will be part-exing. Also a number of people are riding loaners which will also be returned in Aug/Sept. Since the autumn is a slack time for sales normally I think there will be a glut of 2nd hand BMW of various models and that there may well be some deals to be had.

Not written in stone or on paper for that matter but I was hearing figures like 2500 from BMW and the dealership may match that. This would put you in the 17K ballpark. Now this would be for a previously titled bike, not new stock.

Pat

I had one dealer tell me there won't be any incentive from BMW on the buyback bikes and another that thinks there will be. Sucks not knowing. I would be interested in a new leftover 2014 but the dealer with the best deals only has Callisto gray in fully loaded option. Much prefer the blue or Ebony.

I've been scouring the internet and found two buy-backs with miles on them between 1000-2000. They were listed for $2200 and $2400 less than MSRP.

Guarantee there will be great deals, compared to original sales MSRPricing.

Has to be, the '15's will be coming down the pipe.

Most likely the '14's will fly off the shelves.

Sort of like when the R1100S $3000 EOY incentive back in the day...

As I've been following the other threads regarding the recall, it seems that many are gun shy about the '14 model year because of the problem with the shock.

As long as the rear shock has been replaced with the upgraded part I don't see why the value of a new bike would be affected. As Tim notes the only real reason for a '14 to be discounted is simply because the '15 models will soon be on their way, but that happens every year to every bike.

I’m inclined to agree with smiller. For instance, BMW Motorcycles of Riverside CA lists all of their new RT’s as well as their buy-back as “SALE PENDING”. Pandora’s European Motorsports of Chattanooga TN has three new ones listed at MSRP and their buy-back as “SALE PENDING”. Not all but some of the dealerships are gearing up to sell immediately after the imminent fix. I’m sure hoping for some great end-of-year deals but I’m not seeing any good indicators.

It seems there would have to be at least a 15% price difference between a used '14 and a new '15, depending on mileage and condition. Maybe more. If BMW extends the '14 warranties because they were parked so long, that might make a difference. In the end, the '14s will sell, but how much will the dealers lose.

A possibly more complex issue may be loaner '14 K16s out there that are all coming back and what their value might be compared to a new '15 K16. Were the loaners ever titled or are they considered dealer demos?

I tend to agree that prices likely wont be that much lower than what they'd normally sell for. Unless BMW finds itself with a bunch of '14's on the floor with 15's flying out the door. I doubt that is likely to happen though.

All buy back bikes will be used.

They will have to sell for much lower than new MSRP.

The loaner bikes may or may not be sold as "new" if never titled.

But they will fall in the demo category and be priced accrodingly.

All in all, plenty of good deals (wrt price) on various models

will be out there and the closer it gets to EOY the better

the price will be.

Depending on consumer response BMWNA may even provide additional

incentives to dealerships to move on and put this behind them.

All in all, may end up with a record sales year.

We'll see...

Don't forget that BMW may hold off production and delivery of 2015 RT's till the 2014 inventory is back under control. Quite common in the automotive industry.

I really feel for the BMW dealers. One of the biggest headaches is moving last years inventory when the time comes. Now, not only did they not sell when the market was hot they have excess inventory on the floor.

I will be watching what happens closely. I may be riding a wet RT in the future!

Hate to be a Debbie Downer but the 14 RTW will take a bigger hit than you guys are talking about. Day one when this stop ride came out I tried to trade my 2 month fully loaded RTW with 2500 miles back to the dealer because of up coming planned trips. Best offer on Trade-in was $17,375.00 ... Shock and Awe. As of now 4 of the 5 RTW sold by my dealer have been returned on the by-back or returned on trade, the 5th has not decided.

It will be a buyer market ... Good Thing ... But if you own a 14 RTW the depreciation will be steep ... Not so Good.

In 2010 BMW delayed the intro of the 2010 CamHead due to poor sales in 2009 due to the economy. They had over 200 unsold RT's, they finally released the 2010 in March, I bought a Brand new 2009 RT for 16100 more than 1400 less than people were asking for used 2009's. Dealer threw in a new Helmet and a nice cover, this whole RTW thing seem to be very similar to me.

Titles will be branded a lemon-law buyback, at least in Ohio. The bikes will go directly to auction.

I completed my buyback today and received my check. Time to move on.

Titles will be branded a lemon-law buyback,..

I haven't ever heard of "lemon-law buy back" title, salvage yes, but these bikes clearly aren't insurance salvage vehicles.

And they aren't "lemon law buy back" bikes either. The buy-back option that BMW is offering is totally voluntary. And so it the recall, btw.

It's really amazing how well BMW is handling this situation.

No cover-up, no denial, letting customers decide between $2500 cash-back and zero-cost buy-back, free loaner bikes...

Jeez, when's the last time Chevy or Toyota offered that!

Not sure about other states but in Texas, BMW repurchased my bike "subject to the Lemon Law" (per BMW) which allowed for a mileage/use deduction.

That being said, the buyback payout was more then fair & BMW NA acted in good faith throughout the process.

At least, after communication was established. :)

I am pleased with how things turned out & have ordered a 2015 GSA.

The term "salvage title" means a tainted vehicle. Does NOT mean crash damage. Can be a stolen recovery with no damage for instance.

Don't know if Ohio has specific legislature on Lemon Laws that other states don't, but if BMW buys the bike from the owner with no Lemon Law proceedings started it is NOT a Lemon Law case. Therefore no title labeled salvage or lemon law.

Not uncommon for motor vehicle manufacturers to "buy back" a vehicle without it going to Lemon law proceedings. If they know they cannot win, it is better for everyone to do a buyout up front.

Firefight911

I haven't ever heard of "lemon-law buy back" title, salvage yes, but these bikes clearly aren't insurance salvage vehicles.

And they aren't "lemon law buy back" bikes either. The buy-back option that BMW is offering is totally voluntary. And so it the recall, btw.

No cover-up, no denial, letting customers decide between $2500 cash-back and zero-cost buy-back, free loaner bikes...

In California, a vehicle bought back as a lemon law has a disclosure requirement to the next purchaser. No, it will not have a salvage title. There is just a disclosure requirement. A voluntary buyback by BMW would require no such disclosure and would be sold just as any other used vehicle would.

Firefight911

In California, a vehicle bought back as a lemon law has a disclosure requirement to the next purchaser. No, it will not have a salvage title. There is just a disclosure requirement. A voluntary buyback by BMW would require no such disclosure and would be sold just as any other used vehicle would.

Forgot to add, the "workaround" on this California disclosure is to transport the bike to another state and sell it there. No disclosure necessary.

Flynn,

Check the lemon law. Out of service for at least 30 consecutive days. Lemon Law in Ohio.

Title Will be branded Lemon Law-Buyback.

Informed buyers will know it was only the rear shock but the value should take a hit.

Flynn,

Check the lemon law. Out of service for at least 30 consecutive days. Lemon Law in Ohio.

Title Will be branded Lemon Law-Buyback.

Informed buyers will know it was only the rear shock but the value should take a hit.

Lemon Law does NOT apply if Lemon Law proceedings were not started. In any state. Yes, the basis for a claim is there and quite clear. But if BMW decides to buy back the bike before any claim of Lemon Law is filed by the owner, it is simply a bike purchased by BMW to do with what they please.

Hmmm. OK I guess in the end it wont be a salvage title.

Buyback, auction, whatever is on the title I dont care.

BMW ruined my summer on a 24k bike I could not ride.

I have my check and will be on my way on another brand.

Actually, the folks who made the defective shock are responsible, IMO.

Understand your frustration.

Good luck with the new bike.

TracerBullet

I thInk BMW did everything right with this. I have been reading through the boards and am coming back to the marque. BMW did not make the shock.

To put things into perspective my buddy bought a 14 RoadKing and the bike was in the shop 24 days of the first 30 he owned it. Eventually it needed a new engine and transmisson, a brand new bike. He could not get MoCo to do anything with an extended warranty, buy back etc.

This can happen to any brand. Hope you find what you are looking for as you move on.

I thInk BMW did everything right with this. I have been reading through the boards and am coming back to the marque. BMW did not make the shock.

To put things into perspective my buddy bought a 14 RoadKing and the bike was in the shop 24 days of the first 30 he owned it. Eventually it needed a new engine and transmission, a brand new bike. He could not get MoCo to do anything with an extended warranty, buy back etc.

This can happen to any brand. Hope you find what you are looking for as you move on.

An extended warranty wouldn't come into play with a new bike. That said, They are replacing the engine and transmission. If he has the same problems again, he may be able to do the lemon law if your state has one.

LOL, this is getting funny. I was at my dealer on Friday and they told me all bikes being bought back were going back to BMW and would be put up for auction. Looks like we're not gonna know EXACTLY what they're gonna until it's happening.

Unfortunately, closed to the public. Auction is for dealers only. At least that's what I was informed. I wanted in on that action too. Unless I get a stupid deal on a '14, I'll likely go for a '15 this time next year.

TracerBullet

And for me...on Saturday I signed the paperwork on what, I believe, is a buy back. Maybe the dealer bought it back and not BMW. They did not specifically say it was a buy back but given the story of someone loading it on a trailer and leaving only to bring it back........

I have a VIN number on the paperwork. I wonder if there is a way to look it up

I'm glad to hear that you've signed paperwork. With what I've read regarding auctioning off the buy-backs, I'm fearing a call from the dealer that goes something like "Sir, about that bike you put a down payment on. We regret to inform you..."

On the bright side, it sure is nice to see all the posts of folks getting their bikes back. Exciting times for them after seeing their bikes sit for so long (well, not everyone let them sit).

And for me...on Saturday I signed the paperwork on what, I believe, is a buy back.

I am waiting for my dealer to get pricing identified. Then I plan to look at buying a buy back unit as well. Were you able to identify a price? Would you please share how much the buy back 14RTW cost?

Snowy.

TracerBullet
And for me...on Saturday I signed the paperwork on what, I believe, is a buy back.

I am waiting for my dealer to get pricing identified. Then I plan to look at buying a buy back unit as well. Were you able to identify a price? Would you please share how much the buy back 14RTW cost?

Snowy.

At the signing the dealer did not know what the discount would be. They expect some type of information form BMW as to what they could sell it for. The paperwork was written up as if the bike was new. My deposit is refundable but I am waiting on actual pricing. If it does not work out I will just apply the deposit to a 15.

Who knows, I may end up getting the call as referenced in one of the previous posts. No biggie.....a 15 it will be.

mountainmann

In the USA:

There were about 1000 RTs sold in the USA that were affected by the recall. From what I've read, most people kept the bike and waited for the repair. So maybe there were about 300 or fewer RTs bought back. There are 139 BMW bike dealers in the USA, so that is about 2 buy back bikes per dealer.

I estimate that were as many as 500 to 600 new bikes in: dealer inventory, in shipping and being finished at the factory when the recall hit and production stopped. All new RTs produced after that date will be 2015 models. So that is another 4 new 2014 bikes per dealer. That's not a lot of bikes.

There is going to be some amount of pent up demand for RTs when the 2014s are again available for sale. I'm in that group. Some people who took the buy back hope to buy their old bike back back at a discount and pocket the $2500 plus discount. The used ones will have to be offered at a demo type discount to move them.

But, it makes sense to me that BMW will wait to see how the new 2014s sell before it starts offering a sales incentive. We know of no changes between the 2014s and the 2015s, other than keyless ignition being a 2015 option. The lighter blue color is being replaced by the brighter blue color. The gray and black colors continue to be available in 2015. The blue color and keyless ignition are the only two technical reasons to wait for a 2015. In 3 years, there won't be much of a price difference between a 2014 and a 2015. Both will have 3 year warranties.

Someone who wants a bike now will likely just opt for a 2014 rather than ordering a 2015 and waiting 2-3 months for it to arrive as Winter is then beginning. They will likely have to pay full price to get one of the limited number of new bikes that are going to be available. The light blue ones will go very fast, since that color is not being offered in 2015.

I wouldn't look for BMW to offer any incentive for at least a month after the new 2014s are again available. And at that point, if the 2014s are selling well, there may not be any incentive.

"There is going to be some amount of pent up demand for RTs when the 2014s are again available for sale. I'm in that group. Some people who took the buy back hope to buy their old bike back back at a discount and pocket the $2500 plus discount. The used ones will have to be offered at a demo type discount to move them."

The $2500 was only for the ones who kept their bike. The others got less money and it wasn't cash.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a call today from my dealer. They now have shocks for their new and buyback 2014 units. Going to stop by tonight to learn how much brass tax is.

Snowy.

Got a call today from my dealer. They now have shocks for their new and buyback 2014 units. Going to stop by tonight to learn how much brass tax is.

Snowy.

I called a dealer today and got the same story. He said they will have them ready to roll next week. He didn't know about the "free" nav unit with the new bikes. Still no word from my dealer on buyback pricing.

Dealer in my area said new leftovers would be $500 off of msrp and a free Nav V. They also had a traded in(not a buyback) fully loaded with 400 miles for $19,500 and no Nav being offered.

I found a dealer who had a new leftover fully loaded in blue. Since I already had the Nav V they offered me the bike for $19,800 without the Nav and free first service(no other fees except tax). Not sure how good that is but I felt like the color choices are going to go quick with only the gray available. Hope I end up liking the blue better than the Ebony.

Thats a great price. A fully loaded bike lists for 22,135.

Do you know if all dealers are offering a 500 discount, plus either the Nav or 800 credit?

Spoke with my dealer today and he didn't say anything about the $500 discount - just the credit for Nav.

Just my opinion but I'm thinking you should be able to get $1000 off plus free Nav... Just have to be patient... Going to be alot of bikes to be had...

Mike the Ghoul

My dealer called (340 miles away) today and said the Calisto Grey I have been looking at is ready. I have a crazy schedule this next weekend and week so I don't know that I'll get to test it anytime soon. I haven't tested one yet, the stop ride hit the day before I was scheduled to go for a test ride.

I asked about discounts but he said he just got back from vacation and hasn't talked to the owner of the dealership yet so couldn't say anything, He's been good during this and will not tell me something he cannot confirm.

So, I too will wait and see what happens. If I get a good deal I'd consider a 2014, assuming the test ride confirms all that I have heard. But if its not a good deal, I may as well wait till 2015s come out and do it in the spring. I can use what I have for whatever riding I do between now and then. I'd be interested in knowing what kind of deals everyone is getting. A free GPS is not enough to make up my mind.

I am getting a 14 that was trailered from the lot and trailered back three days later, zero miles. I talked to the dealer yesterday and as of right now no discount on price but the free nav.

The sales guy is trying to get an answer to what I may get off but nothing yet. I am getting accessories so I may be able to get a discount on those.

The bottom line is I want the bike and with zero miles if it is impossible to get a discounted price I am going to go with it. There really is no difference on the next model to make me wait except a small price increase

FWIW, BMW is having a record sales year.

GS, GSA's leading the way.

Don't know how hta will influence discounts for RT's (3rd in sales numbers), just something to consider.

There may more than a few ready to move on the 14's ASAP.

???

Archived