IGNORED

ABS saved me.

Bud

Last week in Missouri, there were signs showing construction ahead and flagger ahead. Rode for about 5 miles over freshly patched areas. This was on a single letter road, West of highway 19, in the Round Springs area.

Then came around a corner and had TWO MDOT trucks facing me head on, one in each lane. Full braking!!!!! ABS doing it's thing. Trying to get stopped and straightened up before doing a face plant on a truck radiator.

Once the panic subsided, I realized that there was no one holding a stop sign anywhere in front of the work area.

Pulled over to where 5 MDOT employees were standing around chatting. They seemed to be unfazed when I expressed my frustration with their lack of concern for the safety of motorists. Perhaps my NSFW language was something they hadn't heard before and thought I was from another country and didn't speak English???????? The situation was so bad that my ridding buddy, who never says anything to anyone, told me that if I hadn't stopped, he was going to stop and explain to them how the outcome could have been very different because of their actions.

This is a very rare situation. Almost 100% of the time, when a highway maintenance crew will be blocking both lanes, there is someone standing in advance with a stop sign and radio, stopping traffic when both lanes are blocked.

I practice using ABS every time I come home. The road just north of our house allows me to speed up and practice stopping as fast as I can. When the ABS kicks in, I know to keep on the brakes and not be alarmed.

If you haven't done so, now is the time to start. It may save your life.

I have only had them activate once. Quick stop at a fast changing traffic light in the rain. They work great. Glad you and your riding buddy came through your incident unscathed... :)

You should write a letter to the head of MDOT detailing your experience and get your riding buddy to do the same, or at least have him add his signature to your letter. Maybe add a cc: to local news organizations, just so MDOT pays attention. Otherwise that sort of unsafe work practice will continue until someone is hurt.

I have had more than one experience where the flagman was standing in a nice shady spot. Understand that for their comfort standing in the shade seems like a good thing, but on a bright sunny day I never saw the stop sign until a few feet away. Bad practice.

Archived