IGNORED

S1000rr Front End Vibration

dukearnyj

Newbie here.

Because you will never know unless you ask, though I'd do just that....

My friend has a 2011 s1000rr. Ever since he had it he has experienced front end vibration through the bars at around 4000rpm.

Above or below that, little problem. Having ridden it (fantastic machine btw and a bit quicker than my RT) I also felt the same mild vibration holding 4000rpm. Ride in that rev range around town and before long the right hand starts to ache (even allowing for the lower bars compared to my R1200)

BMW main dealer could find nothing wrong. Changed front tyre, still there. Removed bar weights, better but still resonates. Could it simply be that such a precision instrument comes 'as standard' with a bit of front end chatter?

Anyone else ever come across or heard of anything similar on this bike?

My best guess is a driveline vibration that is being felt through the clip ons. Nothing is dampened on the S bikes, so everything is felt. A little harmonic resonance is not at all unusual on road legal race bike.

Hope that helps...

Guest Kakugo

It's a well known issue: roughly half the S1000RR riders have reported such vibrations around the 4000-4500 rpm zone.

While it's obviously a problem of harmonics, nobody has figured out what causes it. Theories vary wildly, from crankshaft balance to poor airbox assembly to a batch of substandard wheel bearings but none has been confirmed as the definitive cause.

People have thrown lots of money and ingenuity at the issue but it remains unsolved.

• 3 weeks later...

Some have had success with heavier bar-end weights. Suggest he try the S100RR forum. The wights are available from motivation.com.

Thanks for all your helpful comments. I shall pass these on.

My friend suffers from carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands so all suggestions here will be taken seriously

Archived