IGNORED

Pain in the posterior - litterally

Mustang Guy

Mustang Guy

Although I have been riding for a long time on dirt bikes and short trips, I am a bit new to extended trips. I am finding that the bottom is a bit sore, and it limits me to about 60 miles per rest. The R1200GSW does feel like a dirt bike in many ways, but on a dirt bike I am on my footpegs much of the time, so it is kind of like resting. I am over 50, and not in the best shape (205 lbs and 5'11" flat footed). I ski about 12 days in the winter so I sort of keep my lower body in shape for that. Otherwise, I work all the time, but that does not offer much lower body conditioning.

Do any of you have any tips that might extend my rest needs? Any advise except selling my bike will be greatly appreciated. I LOVE my new BMW!

Get a new seat. The stock seats on BMW's tend to be compared to a medevil torture device

With the stock seat on my GS, I started squirming at about 45 min, then pain at about 2 hours, then terrible pain by 3 hours. I did one 600 mile day on it and decided "Never again!". I put an aftermarket seat on it and have done many 600-900 mile days since. No complaints (except from my wife about how poor the stock pillion seat is)

As far as what seat to buy, there are many options......unfortunatly, none are really cheap. Sargeant is probably the easiest/cheapest and a lot of people like them. There is also Corbin, Russell Day Long, Rich Maund, and a host of others. Any will be better than the stock seat. I got lucky and bought a used Rich Maund seat off the classified ads on ADV and it fit me almost perfectly.

I had a sargeant on my RT until it basically wore out, and then I replaced it with a used Corbin that I liked even better. All were lightyears ahead in comfort compared to what came on the bike stock.

+1 on the torture device. My stock GS seat is the opening act the torture hall of fame!

Get another seat, Sargent, Corbin and my personal favorite a Russell Day long. Any of them are better than the stock seat.

Alan

Mustang Guy

Thanks Keith and Alan! I researched all the seats you mentioned, and eventually pulled the trigger on the Corbin. The only bad thing is the wait. I have no idea how long it will take. Hopefully I will get to try it out before the season comes to an end. My cost for the seat is $528, but there is a note that shipping is calculated later. I didn't think that was too bad of a price if it makes my bike more usable on trips.

Craig from WV

Archived