IGNORED

Steel grate, grating

AnotherLee

AnotherLee

I recently crossed a bridge with a steel grating .8 mi long. The grate likes to take your front wheel to some funny places. With the wind blowing me toward oncoming traffic it was a bit scary.

Any advice on how to ride a steel grating?

Here's info on the bridge I crossed: ***Link: Hood River Bridge***

DaveTheAffable

Relax.. sing a favorite song. (yup.. keeps you from holding your breath and being tense).

Keep a somewhat loose grip on the handlebars, don't try to "fight" it.

Look ahead at where you want to be, not down onto the road directly in front of the bike.

Keep a gentle but firm grip on the bike with your knees/legs so that your weight adds to the vertical stability of the bike.

Don't speed up, don't coast... just... cruise.

You WILL come out on the other side.

:wave:

Relax.. sing a favorite song. (yup.. keeps you from holding your breath and being tense).

Keep a somewhat loose grip on the handlebars, don't try to "fight" it.

Look ahead at where you want to be, not down onto the road directly in front of the bike.

Keep a gentle but firm grip on the bike with your knees/legs so that your weight adds to the vertical stability of the bike.

Don't speed up, don't coast... just... cruise.

You WILL come out on the other side.

:wave:

Couldn't have said it better.

Some grates are worse than others, but it's the same principal with all of them.

DaveTheAffable

I posted late last night, well early this am. I forgot one thing... SYMPATHY! (even though it was about grates, not fear)

Yeah! It is a little unnerving. I have my pilots license, although I am not current. Flying has never scared me. But the first time I went over the Forrest Hill Bridge in California on my RT... I had the heebie jeebies big time, and it didn't even have any steel grates as I remember....lol. 730 ft above the river below. One of the tallest in the states.

sie6AF9AA8032956770A.jpg

I'd rather fly under that bridge strapped to an ICBM rather than ride across it on a motorcycle. Can't explain it, but Kathy knows exactly what I mean...

Yes, Brother Jake, I do indeed. :eek: I can ride a steel grate, but if I have to look ahead off a cliff I'm cooked.

biometrics

+1 on the steel grate issue...Almost as bad as steel grates on bridges are newly scrubbed (grooved asphalt pavement) that is prepped to be re-paved.

Not only is it irregulary grooved, but there is always residual gravel that multiplies the effect.

The first time I even encountered it, my front wheel felt like the handle bars were not even connected to the wheel... Once I made it to the other side, I had to pull over and collect my self before proceeding.

I would ride significant extra miles to avoid such a grooved road or grated bridge if I avoiding it was an option.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like them with knobbies on the adventure tourer. I think the advice above is spot on. I'd add, and it might differ depending on bike and tires, about 40 mph works for me.

Archived