IGNORED

Brake Pad Wear Indicators and Passenger Heated Seat - 07RT

Dean Wirsing

Dean Wirsing

I have 20k miles on my 07 RT, I use it mostly for commuting.

I'm trying to check the front break pad wear lines. In my owners manual, it shows 3 or 4 lines on each pad. When I try to check my pads, I can see only 1 line, and that is on both of the outboard pads. On the inboard pads, I don't see any. But that might be because it is very awkward to view them. I don't have a lift.

Is it time to change my pads? Or is there an easier way to check them? I cannot see the rotor disk through the holes in the rear pads, so I guess I'm okay there.

Also, owners manual shows that the passenger seat heat switch is somewhere below the seat. The arrow points to a location behind the saddlebag. Can anybody give me a clue as to where that is? I can't find any switch, other than the one on the right handlebar.

It would sure help if they'd print these owners manuals in color!

Thanks,

Dean

Guest Kakugo

You don't ride enough. By now you should be able to spot when the pads are worn.

Just kidding obviously. :grin:

Use a 1mm feeler gauge between the lip of the pad and the rotor. If it goes through, your pads are still good, otherwise it's time to replace them.

As per heated seat the switch should be on the left side, near the grab rail base, but someone with that option will surely be along shortly to help you.

Dean Wirsing

I know! And I wish I did ride more! Bought it used just 2 years ago with only 10K on it, so I've at least doubled the previous miles! Still have young kids, so family time takes precedence over "me" time.

Dean

Afternoon Dean

That rear seat heater switch should be on the R/H side of the rear seat pad, on the bottom part that is just outside the plastic panel. (about straight up from the tip of the folded rear foot peg)

The switch is embedded in the seat IIRC (haven't looked at it in a couple/few years). It's not a switch on the bike itself. I think it was on the right side near the front of the rear seat. If it's on the bike, put your hand on the seat and wrap your fingers under the edge - slide your hand forward. It should be just to the rear of where the seats join. It's a 3 position rocker switch (hi/lo/off). If it's off the bike just flip it over - it's on the front edge.

I know! And I wish I did ride more! Bought it used just 2 years ago with only 10K on it, so I've at least doubled the previous miles! Still have young kids, so family time takes precedence over "me" time.

Dean

Dean - if your bike didn't come with an owner's manual (the info on the seat heater switch location is in there), you can download the manual as a PDF from here.

FWIW, sounds like you have your priorities set properly. Too quickly, all of a sudden the kids don't need you any more, or so they think...

JayJay

Guest Kakugo

Dean

That's the most beautiful "excuse" I can think of. :)

There's also a wiring harness that plugs into the underside of the seat. (make sure it's plugged in.I leave mine unplugged to facilitate seat removal)

Its not likely you need front brakes in 20K- most get double that or even more. Rears go out fastest, by a factor of 2-4 for most.

BMW allows wear down to 1mm of pad material. I neverlet it get that far- pad performance fals of when they get too thin and too baked. I generally change out at 2-3 mm depending on how they feel. You don't need to measure anything, just look at the INSIDE pad material thickness- generally insides wear fastest up front and they always wear faster at the rear becasue the inside pad is thinner by design in the back.

I had to replace my front brake pads around 17K miles several times.

Also keep in mind for one reason or another, the inside pads wear faster then the outboard pads. I ride a 2007 R12RT.

The only way to know for sure is to remove the pads and clean the grooves and measure the actual thickness of the pad material.

Dean Wirsing

Thanks for all the good advice. I have the owner's manual, and I have found the heat button. I'll probably pull the pads and examine them soon.

Thanks,

Dean

Archived