IGNORED

R1200RT..Good For Tall Rider?

RobertS

I'm 66 and have ridden for 40 +/- years. Getting ready to buy, what will in all likely be, my last motorcycle.The nearest dealer is 100 miles away so I would like some info before making the trek. My question is simply: I am 6'4" tall. Will I be comfortable on the R1200RT? What adjustments or changes have tall riders made to their RT to be more accommodating. Thank You

The Russell Day-Long is probably the most comfortable seat ever made for a BMW motorcycle and with your height, you're automatically allowed into that club. ;)

Sept_2010_BMW_R1200RT.jpg

Welcome! :wave:

Pat

I am 6'2" and in addition to running my Rich's seat in the highest position, I also have dropped the footpegs 1". With these 2 adjustments, my legs are stretched enough to never be the limiting factor as far as long days are concerned.

I am 6'4" and have been riding an RT for a long time. I have the peg lowering kit and bar risers with a Corbin seat. The Russell would probably be better. I have an 07 and an 011. You mentioned dealer and if you are talking an 014 I think they are not as good for a tall guy. My opinion only. I am down to riding an 013 or older as I cannot see owning the new bike.

I have sat on other brands of sport touring bikes and they all feel too small.

Ron

I'm 6’5".

Have a CeeBailey +2 screen (keeps the buffeting to almost nil) and a pair of GS mirrors with Wunderlich extenders.

Don't have Russel Day Long seats over here, and not a fan of peg lower kits from my ST1300 days when I used to scrape my boots on cornering.

I'd like a replacement seat, but not happy to pay the silly money to get a US one over here, we seem to pay the US dollar equivalent in pounds, and second hand Sargent seats sell for as much or even more than new ones !

Lovely bike I have 2013 RT SE, and you will enjoy it (like the rest of us)

Depends.

Long legs, or long torso?

Until you sit on the bike it is difficult to assure you it will fit.

Shin clearance might come into play.

What have you been riding?

The RT is a sit up and beg (esp. for tall long limbed riders)

position. Some even find that uncomfortable with weight on their tailbones.

Custom saddles vary, as do opinions.

Peg lowering can help.

Read MYRP.

One hundred miles is a short trip to get some demo ride opportunities.

Best wishes.

34" Inseam, so pretty even inseam to torso. I have been riding a V Strom and Harley Road King. Just sold both of them. I'll head down to a dealer this week and check things out. My concern is always the angle of the knee when riding. I like a more "straight-up" riding position, rather than a lean forward or back riding set-up.

I really appreciate the responses and helpful information.

Was in your neck of the woods Saturday.

Too bad you didn't some over to the Blackwater Inn as you could've bench raced several options.

With our heat, and forest roads, the GS would be my choice before the RT, but the RT is a wonderful ride.

If you're staying on road, taking long rides/trips out of area, the RT may be better but the GS can go anywhere.

With a 34" inseam you should be fine on the RT wrt fitment.

The RT will be pretty much the ergo you want and can be farkled to adjust feet/bars.

Best wishes.

I'm 66 and have ridden for 40 +/- years. Getting ready to buy, what will in all likely be, my last motorcycle.The nearest dealer is 100 miles away so I would like some info before making the trek. My question is simply: I am 6'4" tall. Will I be comfortable on the R1200RT? What adjustments or changes have tall riders made to their RT to be more accommodating. Thank You

In my opinion it is really hard to say if someone will be comfortable on a specific bike or not since comfort and fit on a specific bike is very personal. That being said IMHO the RT is for the most part a tall guy's bike or taller than most. I am 6'3" tall and ride both a RT and as GSA. The GSA has more let room but both are very comfortable for me. Yes an aftermarket seat as many have suggested really helped ... I am running a Sargent and love it.

I'm 6'4" tall with a 36" inseam. My 2012 RT is fine with lowered foot pegs and a Russell seat. If you test ride one at a dealer be aware they probably have a low seat on it because most riders are shorter than us. Don't let that fool you into thinking that it is too cramped.

Archived