IGNORED

2014 R1200RT Issues besides...

Roadglide33

Roadglide33

I put a deposit down on a new R1200RT the day of the recall... I am interested in opinions of the new bike from all you owners on how you have liked the bike so far... Besides the recall on the shock of course... Interested especially in some the opinions of guys who have been lucky enough to put some miles on one before the recall... Have you had any issues with the bike at all? Thanks and hope this is all resolved soon...

Not a lot of miles yet, but so far I love it. It has a very RT-like feel. Anyone who has ridden any model of RT can tell you the bikes have a great balance of comfort, light weight, power, and handling that is hard to beat. It is my 3rd RT (1150 and 1200 before) and the best of the 3. It sucks that BMW had this problem with them, but I am about 90% certain that I am sticking with it.

A tic over three thousand miles and no problems except, oh, you've heard. :grin: I did bend my front rim on a poorly maintained I 84 westbound but, probably can't blame the bike for that one. I had an 1150 & a previous gen. 1200 and this bike is a major improvement over both.

The shock issue is really gonna suck if they can't get parts for three months, I'll be making a phone call tomorrow to see what options are on the table.

It's truly been an amazing motorcycle so far. If you can wait till they get this problem sorted, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Pat

This is my third RT as well (06,11). I had my 2014 for 23 hours before the stop ride call came in but I was able to put 1036km on her before they hauled her away.

I think Jeff summed it up very well. Best RT so far.

Good luck,

Len

about 2500 miles on mine I think.....I don't like the seat for long rides. I am planning on a seat upgrade if I can get any of those guys to call me or write me back...So far nothing from Laam, BMS, or RMS. Only other minor issue is the horn is a single horn instead of the dual horn on my 1150. The 1150RT was very good. The 2014...average.

I'm going to wait now to see what happens on the shock. I am hoping a quick fix. If the fix is October I am going to have BMW buy back and I will buy a 2015 model. If the fix is July-August...I will keep my bike as I have already farkled a bit and I really like the bike.

Test rode a 2014 R1200RT.

80 miles

Mostly highway...a little city

The transmission shift quality from 1st to 2nd and second to third is not good....sounds like it's gonna grenade.

It shouldn't be this unpleasant and challenging just to change gears.

Disappointing.

Many folks over at ADVRider are also gripping about clunky transmissions on their GSs.

On the bright side, my 2008 K1200GT, which also shifts poorly during the same changes, looks better to me now.

Overall, the bike seem pretty nice, as a prior post says.. very RT like.

Light, maneuverable...purrs along nicely on the freeway.

The windshield is insufficient for my purposes...

The flat OEM screens from BMW are not good IMO.. Need a flip at the top to direct air over your helmet without raising it too high, like an Aeroflow or Cee Baileys.

Smooth air, but too much wind noise.

The radio is useless to me... maybe for some the communication functions are worthy.. I don't care about that.

I'd like to test a new Yamaha FJRe, 5 grand less and they have cruise control now, ABS, ESA, heated grips, electronic screen, adjustable bars....

Wonder how their trannys are??? Fine I bet.

I posted this once b-4, something very similar anyway, moderators moved it... said it wasn't a wrenching topic....

hmmmmm

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=885467&page=1

d'milan

I really like my R1200RT and will keep it after the fix. I've rode a 2014 FJR and there is no comparison between the two in my opinion. The FJR has a very bad riding position and feels too small to me.....everyone has their opinion but I wouldn't want a FJR at any price. I just can't ride it.....

80 miles

The transmission shift quality from 1st to 2nd and second to third is not good....sounds like it's gonna grenade.

Disappointing.

Many folks over at ADVRider are also gripping about clunky transmissions on their GSs.

On the bright side, my 2008 K1200GT, which also shifts poorly during the same changes, looks better to me now.

The flat OEM screens from BMW are not good IMO.. Need a flip at the top to direct air over your helmet without raising it too high, like an Aeroflow or Cee Baileys.

The radio is useless to me... maybe for some the communication functions are worthy.. I don't care about that.

I'd like to test a new Yamaha FJRe, 5 grand less and they have cruise control now, ABS, ESA, heated grips, electronic screen, adjustable bars....

I posted this once b-4, something very similar anyway, moderators moved it... said it wasn't a wrenching topic....

hmmmmm

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=885467&page=1

d'milan

80 miles

Disappointing.

hmmmmm

d'milan

Basically a usless post. Eighty mile test ride is hardly enough miles to form a useful observation. I have almost 2K on mine. Seat sucks as all BMWs. I have a Bill Myer replacement. Shift is a little clunky from first to second but nothing worse than othe bikes I have riden. I don't like the feel on the new clutch, very little friction zone. I am in love with shift assist. I have a R1200R for a loaner. It is so much easier to shift. I have to learn over again, no shift assist. I guess it depends on where you sit, the windshield works fine for me. Over all I love this RT compared to the older ones. Checked out the FJR but bike didn't compare, granted very little time to compare so can't really say. I also thought about upgrading to a K1600. I don't need any more power and I like the RT better around town than a bigger bike. I had two Ultra Classics. So I think I will keep what I have and enjoy the hell out of it.
Guest Kakugo

I am also very interested in hearing about this... especially considered the local dealer's demo bike has been stopped as well so no test rides for a while! :P

I'd especially like to hear from who made the transition from a Hexhead.

Very interested in hearing about how the bike compares in the tank range (quite crucial to me), wind protection and seat comfort departments.

My dealer also told me servicing costs are lower than Hexhead and Camhead... true? Sales spin?

Thanks!

I posted this some time ago. Worth repeating.

Hello all.

I have been an unabashed BMW hater for years. I have ridden various RT and GS models and come away deeply unimpressed. They didn't offer any decent level of performance, the gearbox was tractor-like, the drive train full of slop and the boxer twin was just downright weird. I clearly didn't “get it”.

A bit about me – 53 yo, 41 years on 2 wheels, with a predilection for rockets. Among others, I have owned a GSX-R1000, a Blackbird, a FJR1300, a ZX14, a B-King and a Busa. I like the rush of an i4.

I currently ride a Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer and a Triumph Street Triple R.

The Tiger Explorer is nice, but I am over the whole adventure-bike-on-stilts thing. The Tiger has a great engine, but the CoG is high, and this makes slow speed work a pain.

I’m in the market for a pure road bike tourer.

Said tourer must be relatively light (under 300 kg), handle well, have good weather protection and (of course) good performance.

I have been very seriously considering the new FJR. I always had a soft spot for my 2006 FJR, and the new one looks good. Kind of like coming back to an old girlfriend after a few years away...

That old girlfriend does have a few blemishes in the harsh light of day, though…the FJR seating position is canted forward somewhat, and the slow speed handing is still as heavy as I remember.

Browsing the net the other day, I came across a picture of the new RT. The looks grabbed me straight away, particularly the nose section. I felt a little bit dirty and uncomfortable…. tongue

As one does, I then dug around various web reviews and owner web sites. Of course, all the reviews have been universally positive. Yeah, yeah, typical Bring More Wallet fan boys, I thought… smile

What the hell – give it a shot, let’s see what all the fuss is about…. So, I spent an hour on a demo bike today. The weather was typical Australian late summer – 28 deg C and sunny.

Unfortunately, most of the hour was stuck in peak hour traffic, so I have extensive experience of how the bike commutes…..!

The seating position is nice and neutral for my 5 foot ten inch, averaged proportioned body. It was strange having a large dash full of dials and lights in front of you initially, and the big boxer lumps tended to restrict foot movement. However, after the first 20 minutes, I got used to it.

The bike is very easy to ride. The clutch and throttle are light and the brakes work well. The controls do indeed “fall easily to hand”. The levers are particularly good.

Slow speed steering and manoeuvrability are excellent – much better than an FJR or a Concours.

To be very nit picky, the throttle response off idle can be a bit snatchy in ROAD mode, and the clutch take up point is a fair way out, but these issues are easily ridden around by any competent motorcyclist. Part of the legendary “character” I have read so much about I suppose.

I was surprised by the engine. It is the smoothest boxer I have ridden. There is a very slight amount of vibration at idle – you can see the screen shake slightly. None of the violent lateral shake I was used to from earlier boxers, though…

Once moving, the engine smooths out and goes well. There is plenty of grunt off idle and midrange is excellent. Yes, it doesn’t have the legs of an i4, but, as other reviews have said, the abundant torque makes it pleasant to dawdle about on.

There is more than ample shove if you get enthusiastic. It is on par with my Explorer for performance. Dynamic mode makes the engine quite lively, at the expense of some snatch off idle.

The gearbox and drive train are very refined (for a BMW… smile ). There is a small clunk going into first, but shifts up and down the box were smooth, glitch free and very un-boxer-like. Not quite Suzuki standard, but certainly better than my Triumph.

I’m quite experienced with quickshifters, having had one on my Street Triple R since new. I thought that a quickshifter on a tourer would be about as useful as a coffee cup holder on a sport bike…but, no.

The quickshifter works well, surprisingly well for a boxer. As with all of these shift assist devices, you need to be in the right rev range with the right engine load – but if you are, it is very good.

Dynamic mode and the quickshifter make for some excitement….all performance is relative, but for what it is, the new watercooled boxer gets up and goes very well. OK, it isn’t a Busa, but it will pull hard if you ask it to…

Similarly, the clutchless downshifts are an interesting feature – provided you completely close the throttle. The bike gives a nice little automatic blip of the throttle if you get it right... Not something that I would use all the time, but good fun now and again.

Hill assist function? Why would an experienced motorcyclist need such a numpty device? It was almost embarrassing thinking about it…! wink

Well, I’m a convert. Being able to take your hand/foot off the brake when stopped on an incline is just wonderful. Of course, you need to use more throttle and slip the clutch when you take off…..otherwise you stall it….as I found out….twice….

I’m an unabashed airflow pedant – I fiddled with my Explorer for weeks to get a calm bubble of air behind the screen. Well, those crafty Germans have got the RT airflow management spot on. With the screen all the way down, you get a cooling blast of air right at your visor. Push the button, and the airflow moves over your helmet. That’s it.

The suspension felt plush, but I didn’t exceed 60 km/hr (30 MPH) much on the first ride, so I can’t really comment.

Fit and finish is excellent. The RT is one of those bikes you always turn and look at after you park it….

The electronics are intuitive and simple to use. I like the dedicated buttons for the ride mode and the windscreen. The radio was interesting, not that I had much time to use it. Similarly, traffic was too heavy for the cruise control.

I want to get another ride on open roads, so I can throw the bike about a bit more, test the airflow at higher speeds and verify cruise control operation.

Edit - took another demo for a 2 hour freeway ride. The windscreen, cruise control and handling are excellent.

I’m a convert….I’m spun out..….

Very interested in hearing about how the bike compares in the tank range (quite crucial to me), wind protection and seat comfort departments.

I've learned that seat comfort and BMW should not be used in the same sentence. Apparently they line up all the engineers and whack them in the butt with a 2x4. Whoever says "That felt nice" gets to design the seat.

I am also very interested in hearing about this... especially considered the local dealer's demo bike has been stopped as well so no test rides for a while! :P

That's me, massive change/step up. More power right across the range which is "very noticable". More agile, far superior suspension, ASC + ABS work exceptionally well..already tested..arghhhhh

Fuel range is the same as my 2005 Hexhead, but I also have been riding the bike in a spirited way through backroads/mountain ranges/sweepers predominantly to give it optimum brake-in. So fuel usage during this period would have been slightly higher in that period anyway.

Seat comfort is improved, but that depends on your specific rear end :grin:

Windshield protection is slightly improved to my 2005 1200RT Hexhead, but not a major change. I am 6"2 tall. Didn't have anything to complain before and nothing to complain about it now.

One major improvement: Zero oil usage and the reading of the oil level is now a "none" issue. None of the oil dance anymore. Just park it on center stand and check in five minutes. You will see no difference between putting it on the sidestand first or straight away on the centerstand. The days of oil dance are now in the past.

My dealer also told me servicing costs are lower than Hexhead and Camhead... true? Sales spin?

Thanks!

In Australia this is definitely the case.

First service is about the same, consequent services are either basically the same or cheaper.

My dealer is good and he showed me directly on the computer, so I could see for myself.

Thanks!

I transitioned from Hexhead (R1200ST) to Camhead (R1200RT) to Wethead (R1200RT), power no comparison, the electronic throttle control on the new wethead is wonderful. Tank range would be very similar, in my limited fill ups before the enforced layup I have gone down from 5.2l/100km to now currently sitting on 4.9l/100km. My camhead long term used to average anywhere from 4.6//100km best to 6.0l/100km worst.

The hexhead on my ST never really went much below 5.0l/100km and used to average around 5.5l/100km. Considering the RT looks like a bulky bike it is actually very economical for it's size!

Seat comfort again very similar, for me at least I reckon the new RT is a little more comfortable.

I was never happy with the weather protection on the ST despite a change of windshield, the RT was fantastic in winter but very sweaty in our hot Aussie summers. I have not ridden the new RT in hot weather yet but I think it will offer a little less protection and maybe a bit cooler in summer.

Thanks for your post Troppo you have reminded me of what I am missing makes me sad..

No matter the dealer told me 3 months yesterday, now where is that loan bike to lessen the pain!

Teddy

I've learned that seat comfort and BMW should not be used in the same sentence. Apparently they line up all the engineers and whack them in the butt with a 2x4. Whoever says "That felt nice" gets to design the seat.

Now that made me chuckle on this cold frosty morning!

Thanks,

Teddy

Hell I know they had a formula, good one

Jay

te] Basically a usless post. Eighty mile test ride is hardly enough miles to form a useful observation. I have almost 2K on mine. Seat sucks as all BMWs. I have a Bill Myer replacement. Shift is a little clunky from first to second but nothing worse than othe bikes I have riden. I don't like the feel on the new clutch, very little friction zone. I am in love with shift assist. I have a R1200R for a loaner. It is so much easier to shift. I have to learn over again, no shift assist. I guess it depends on where you sit, the windshield works fine for me. Over all I love this RT compared to the older ones. Checked out the FJR but bike didn't compare, granted very little time to compare so can't really say. I also thought about upgrading to a K1600. I don't need any more power and I like the RT better around town than a bigger bike. I had two Ultra Classics. So I think I will keep what I have and enjoy the hell out of it.

A useless post...why I oughtta..

I'll clarify then

1. The tranny sounds cheap., Clunking from first to second and second to third. 80 miles was more that enough to learn that's how it is, and that's how it will be. Shifts easy, sounds poor.

My 2008 K1200GT is similar.. always an irritant.

I've had plenty of bikes that don't do this.

2. The windscreen design does not lift the air flow high enough for my purposes without raising it to the point where I have to look through it. If I were to buy an RTLC, I'd either add a spoiler to the top of the OEM screen or try to find a suitable aftermarket that has some sort of flip on the top. Too loud. Smooth airflow, too loud.

Both my 2003 K1200GT and my 2008 K1200GT are quieter than the RTLC. Both have Laminar Lips on OEM tall screens.

It took me about 5 miles on the freeway to realize this.

d'milan

now where is that loan bike to lessen the pain!

Teddy

Are you getting one, mate?

I have requested one, but no guarantees eh?

Teddy

d'milan

So, don't buy the bloody thing, then.

Next?

Teddy

Teddy

Keep us posted how you get on, mate.

Teddy

Teddy

Same, but so far no call from my dealer that my loaner is ready to be picked up and he does have a GS-LC demo sitting there.

d'milan

Next?

I'm thinking that I won't.

Until they change the transmission anyway.

O-P requested opinions and experiences....

Should be open to good and bad...then you make your choice and deal with the reality.

unless this is just a feelgood love fest...in which case I defer...

d'milan

Approx 5k on the bike when told to park it. Issues? You bet. There are too few hours in the day to ride it. Bugs willingly sacrifice themselves to it. And lastly it's a serious babe magnet, the gals at the local convalescent care center always wave when I ride by.

My prior BMWs were RTs, a 96 and an 06. This rendition is far and away the best in all aspects less one. The prior two models had a great amount of storage, not much on this scoot. The saddle, a personal issue for each rider, was rebuilt by Rich's Custom Seats to accommodate by long legs and skinny @ss.

Cheers,

Guest Kakugo

Thanks everybody for chiming in.

As I said before and as planned I will consider the purchase in early 2016, when you beta testers have finished ironing out the issues! :rofl:

d'milan

You must have had a lemon. The boxes on the 2 I rode were very good....

d'milan

Next?

I'm thinking that I won't.

Until they change the transmission anyway.

O-P requested opinions and experiences....

Should be open to good and bad...then you make your choice and deal with the reality.

d'milan

You are right, DMilan, the OP did ask for opinions, and you are entitled to yours.

We ask that some of the newer peeps, Troppo, remember the User Agreement:

Our goal has always been to foster a community that is informative, helpful, kind, humorous and ultimately human.

We encourage spirited discussion but won't tolerate argument for its own sake.

Thanks Kathy.

I have been following this and other forums for...well, long time now. I have always been impressed with this site conducts itself for controlling us with more volatile opinions.

I come away from others who allow such behaviour feeling much more inflamed.

I really believe that the bible passage - Proverbs 15:1 is true:

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger".

Forum members, keep up the good work.

I am more than happy to be "kind", but what is the point of posting an entirely negative opinion based on a short exposure?

An opinion that is clearly at variance with the overall view of the bike.

Coming on a forum dedicated to a specific bike, and saying that you don't like it and won't be buying it....

On any other forum, the responses would be rather more pointed than mine.

However, I promise to be "nice" and "kind" from now on....

:)

I am more than happy to be "kind", but what is the point of posting an entirely negative opinion based on a short exposure?

Coming on a forum dedicated to a specific bike, and saying that you don't like it and won't be buying it....

You are new here, and we've all given you some slack, Troppo, on this and other threads. If you want to discuss further PM me.

/hyjack over, with apologies to the OP.

You are new here, and we've all given you some slack, Troppo, on this and other threads. If you want to discuss further PM me.

/hyjack over, with apologies to the OP.

As far as I am concerned, the issue is resolved.

I think the RT is a great bike. When I was looking to replace my 2006 ST1300 I looked at a lot of bikes and the RT fit the bill with almost everything I wanted in a bike. Now as I have been looking at possible buying a bike for the time while the RT is out it sucks because the RT is what I want to ride. And after droping $23k on it the funds are limited for another bike. I am still hopeful that BMW will get loaners to those who want them, and something that is comparable like a GS, GT, or a 2013 RT.

Alan

I put a little over 600 miles on mine before the stop ride. I previously owned a 2005 RT and a 2008 GS. It is a great riding bike, and I thought the windscreen was a big improvement over the 05. Power was great and I think the gearbox is fine, including the shift assist option. The only issue I had was that the Nav V is intermittent in the connection to the cradle. There is a new cradle on order.

Hi Roadglide,

I posted this write-up in another forum. Its a comparison between my new RT and the K16 loaner I've been given. It may give you some insight into the bike. Hope you find it useful.

K1600 vs R1200RT

My first experience with a K16 was when I had one as a loaner during my RT's first service. When I sat on it for the first time and fired up the engine my first thought was "damn I bought the wrong bike".

Because of the RT recall I've now had the opportunity to ride both bikes back to back over an extended period. I rode my RT for 800 miles before the stop ride. Now I've ridden 400 miles on the K16. The experience has really helped me to feel the differences between the two bikes. As a result my initial thought after that first K16 experience has changed.

The running-in period on the two bikes provided noticeably different experiences. The RT's brakes were fierce and effective from the start. The K16's took a lot of effort to begin with and needed a couple of hundred miles to get into their stride. The RT's engine never felt tight. It went through a vibey period around 250 miles but that's all I noticed. The K16's engine became noticeably freer and better after about 200 miles.

The first thing you notice coming from the RT to the K16 (after the smoothness of the engine and the comfier seat) is the K16's clackety-clack gearbox and noisy drivetrain backlash. It really doesn't affect power delivery to the back wheel but it is noisy and detracts from the ride experience.

The differences in power delivery were also unexpected. It's great fun rolling-on the power in the K16 but difficult to tell a real improvement in initial acceleration over the RT. However on the K16 the power just keeps on coming. It's also very noticeable that everything happens at much lower revs on the K16. In fact my overriding impression so far has been that I am continually surprised when I look down after a burst of acceleration to see how little of the rev range I've used. Just as I'm starting to chicken out the K16 is just getting into its stride.

But this, of course, leaves me wondering what you do with all this power. The K16 will certainly get you up to a 100 + mph cruise quicker than the RT but at real world speeds in real world situations a hard acceleration up to 70-80 isn't that much different between the big K and the RT. (I didn't even notice that the K16 had been set to Dynamic until I had done my first 100 miles).

The K16 is very heavy and the weight is still noticeable at speed in the twisties. It turns-in fine but there's definitely a sense of more inertia and just that bit more effort to follow a series of bends. So, despite all its power, it doesn't provide the effortless sporting experience of the RT. Whereas i just seem to think 'bend' and the RT obliges, the K requires a bit more thought, planning and care and attention.

Yes, the K16 is 'turbine smooth' but the engine on the 14 RT can't remotely be described as vibey. What little vibes there are seem characterful and pleasant. Ultimately the preference for engines will probably come down to personal subjective perceptions. At high revs the K16 howls like a pack of wolves, the RT roars like a bear on heat. Take your pick!

The other big difference is that there is comparatively little retardation from engine braking on the K16 which means that you need to use the brakes more. Stopping requires more effort than the RT. Quite a firm squeeze is required to slow it quickly from high speed. The front brake on the RT is razor sharp requiring two fingers at most. Furthermore, The RT's engine braking is so good that you can control speed into most turns with no brake at all. All in all I feel more in precise control of speed on the RT.

The K16's seat is more comfortable but the cockpit doesn't feel as involving as the RT. The RT feels land looks like a 2014 product with more 2014 styling. The K16 looks and feels just a tiny bit more dated. Also the K16 offers little wind protection for the hands. In summer gloves, mine got cold at night despite having the heated grips turned up. Worst of all the K16's screen produces substantial back pressure which I found uncomfortable, cold and disconcerting. Wind protection is much better on the RT. However, the K16 is noticeably smoother than the RT with Soft suspension set.

At night there are other differences of note. The main instruments are much better lit on the RT. The K16s adaptive headlight is great but not such a wow feature that I'd have to buy the bike for that reason alone. Both bikes could do with backlighting the array of bar mounted switches.

Accessorising. The GPS mounting in the K16 is far better than the RT's. I love not having to remove the unit every time I leave the bike.

There are things on the RT that I really miss, starting with the quick shifter. This is a massive help during hard accelerations, giving incredibly smooth slickness to gear changes. The kind of slickness that really ought to be present on the more expensive K16. Same with downshifting. The down shifter combined with powerful engine braking makes for superb speed control on the RT. It feels so much better than having to use big squeezes of brake.

I also really miss the RT's hill start control. You quickly get used to using this facility. I found it a real pain to go back to the one foot/hand on the brake mularkey.

At a stop, the sheer weight of the K16 becomes a real burden. No doubt it's much easier for tall guys but at a measly 5' 6" with a 29" inseam I'm struggling with this bike on anything other than level surfaces. If you are short and don't have easy, large tarmac access to a big garage at home then this could become a deal breaker.

So, did I buy the wrong bike, as I first thought?

The two bikes are designed to do different things. The K16 is a sport tourer with the emphasis more on tour. But it does have the potential to get really crazy. The RT is a sport tourer with the emphasis more on sport but probably runs out of performance at 120 mph.

But having fun at road legal speeds is easier on the RT.

Overall the RT is a better executed implementation of the bike it is trying to be. I'm happy with my purchase decision.

The K16 has the most wonderful engine. It's so good that the bike ought to provide a Rolls Royce like experience. But it doesn't because of its clackety gearbox and drivetrain. The K16 ought to be the bike of choice for a coast-to-coast ride but I'm not even sure of that now because its wind protection is poor compared to the RT.

If BMW were to sort this out, smooth out the gearbox and add a quickshifter then there would be much more daylight between the two bikes. The K16 would be an unchallenged uber tourer and the RT would be the tourer that you took into the mountains.

I'm left with the impression that the K16 probably felt like an outstanding bike when it was compared with the pre 2014 RTs. But now that the RT has advanced so much the differences are less marked. It's like when you redecorate one room in your house. As soon as it's done all the other rooms look shabby - even though they seemed perfectly OK before! This 2014 RT has certainly been given all the decoration I need.

TarTripper,

Thanks for that excellent RT vs K bike review. I believe you've saved me a lot of soul searching for which bike I'll get "in the future".

At the time of the RT recall, I had just under 10,000 miles on mine. I did find that it was a much nicer bike than my 2006 RT in comfort of the seat (stock), overall performance and overall ride.

Although mine came loaded, as almost all of the new bikes did, I really don't use the radio/Bluetooth/Satellite stuff so can't really comment on those things. I'm still amazed that with all of the things they did put on the bike, that a simple "Audio Out" jack wasn't one of them.

The fuel reading now show the "real" fuel and not what I had on the 2006 where when it read "zero" miles left, I actually had 65 miles in reserve (and used 50 of them on a few occasions.)

The wind protection is better and as somebody else stated, checking the oil is a single look and you're done.

For some reason, having to turn the key in the fuel lock to the "right" just seems wrong for some reason. I naturally want to twist it to the left, but that could just be me.

Anyway, just wanted to comment on your review of the K1600 vs the R1200RT. My main reason for the RT purchases all these years is strictly because of the engine. I had enjoyed the boxer engines since my first one in 1965. The K bikes are smoother, stronger and have more low end grunt, but I just like the Boxer motor!

My last RT (and the other Boxer twins) went 100,000 miles each and then some. I have no doubts this one will have no problems making the grade too.

AD

AD, you must have been on that thing everyday then some. 10K, wow! :thumbsup: Any valve movement?

Pat

Pat,

Not that I would be aware of. I did an oil change in Texas at the 6000 mile mark and that's all I've really done to it.

Oh yeah, had to replace the low beam already. Arrrrrrrgh.

AD

AD, you must have been on that thing everyday then some. 10K, wow! :thumbsup: Any valve movement?

Pat

Pat,

Not that I would be aware of. I did an oil change in Texas at the 6000 mile mark and that's all I've really done to it.

Oh yeah, had to replace the low beam already. Arrrrrrrgh.

AD

The valve check is at 12,000 sMiles

Jay

Archived