IGNORED

RT is out for 3 months, time for. GS?

Kenbike

I was getting a new RT and they get locked down the day I was picking up.

Currently riding a 2012 Yamaha Tenere, before that a 2007 KTM 990 adv.

Wanted to try a RT for more confront and features. So it will be in the shop for 90 days so thinking of going back to a GS. Advantages is it can off road and lighter. How comfortable do you guys find on the highway say holding 75 mph with cruise control?

Does stock windscreen work and does not create helmet buffeting for a 6 ft guy?

How is the stock seat?

If I get i GS it will be loaded with premium package, spokes.

Do you think it will hold its own against an RT in the twistys?

Thanks for your help!

I found on a demo ride the stock 14 GS windscreen was too small for me. As far as riding a GS in the twisties, keep street tires on it and you can rail it around corners, probably spank an RT or two while doing it. ;) I'd consider the GSA if I was looking for a more touring based adventure bike.

Pat

I drive on the Autobahn for 30 miles of my daily 45 mile commute and am usually in excess of 90mph. I find the 14 GS is quite comfortable at that speed and more. I'm 5'8" so the stock shield creates enough of a bubble to keep it comfortable for all except ludicrous speeds. It's no RT for wind protection but it's close.

Comparing it to my '06 RT I can say that I feel I'm just as quick on the GS in the twisties.

I can't offer an "apples to apples" opinion, as I don't have quite the correct comparison set, but had the chance to recently compare the 14 GS to my 03 RT.

Among other thoughts (saved for a different thread), I was truly surprised as how well the GS performed on the road. Not that I expected it to be bad, though I suppose looking bad i kind of did expect it to be mediocre at best. Not the case of course, and the improved stock suspension, and that nicely improved powerplant combine with a nice ergonomic and handling (for me) to really pleasantly surprise me, primarily in regard to its road manners. (Still not loving a bike that big off-road, but thats to be expected.)

FWIW, i'm 6'3", and with what i believe was the Z-Technic windscreen on my rental GS was ALMOST great, but not quite (it had a "V" shape at the top... i don't think thats stock?). If i slouched a little, it was perfect, but sitting normally got me some buffet on top of my head. Presumably some adjustment, or a new windscreen would address that, but not 100% sure on that at this point.

A couple of times on the highway I messed around with placing my hand here and there to attempt to gauge wind protection as compared to my RT. My RT is better for wind protection, but the difference was much smaller than I had assumed it would be. Even without the big GSA tank I was surprised to find calm air around most of my legs and body, like I'd have on the RT. The difference for me was the shoulders, which were clearly not as protected as on my larger windscreen RT.

I'd take that 14 GS over my 03 RT in "road race" even in the twisties, though in fairness its largely thanks to that powerplant, which would be more-or-less the same on the new RT, which i have not ridden.

In short, the newest GS was great on the road for me, both in the corners as well as on the higher speed straights. Its got me thinking real seriously about wasting the money on getting one...

But again, i have NOT ridden the newest RT, which i assume is also great.

Thanks for the input on the GS. I trying to get a test ride on GS and GSA.

Really don't need the extra fuel capacity and weight of a GSA but it is cool!

I should stick to my goals and get the GS and keep the weight off of it and skip crash plates and bars.

Like the 1200 Multistrada and 1190 KTM but just not going with their dealers and support in my area.

I will report back after a test ride is complete.

Hey Kenbike, what part of the world are you in? If you can't get to a dealer, I'm willing to bet that there might be a member here who'd let you do a few miles on their GS to help spread that particular "contagion."

:wave:

Hey Kenbike, what part of the world are you in? If you can't get to a dealer, I'm willing to bet that there might be a member here who'd let you do a few miles on their GS to help spread that particular "contagion."

Here he goes again. Pay no attention to this man. He's known for hanging around high schools & Harley rallies trying to recruit the naive into the GS lifestyle. He's also been seen riding a chopper ATTGATT!

I'll admit he's had a good bit of success. He's mind melged quite a few into his way of life. I know him well & I still don't trust him. Nevermind that I currently have a 12GSA, but that was my choice. Mine, see! :/

Here he goes again. Pay no attention to this man. He's known for hanging around high schools & Harley rallies trying to recruit the naive into the GS lifestyle. He's also been seen riding a chopper ATTGATT!

I'll admit he's had a good bit of success. He's mind melged quite a few into his way of life. I know him well & I still don't trust him. Nevermind that I currently have a 12GSA, but that was my choice. Mine, see! :/

:rofl::rofl:

I'm a bad man....

chopper-M.jpg

Among all the bikes I've had were a K1100LT, an 1150RT, and an 1200RT. Also an R100GSPD Classic (never should have sold that one), an 1150GS, and two 1200GS's. For me, and I emphasize the "me" part, the 1200GS's have been the most competent and the best all-around bikes I've ever owned. Hands-down. Period. I took a 6,000 mile tour last summer on the 1200GS and did not find it lacking at all when compared to both RT's. I would say there are three main reasons I like the GS over the RT: (1) It's easier to service; (2) It's cooler to ride. In Georgia, the RT was just too hot for much of the year; (3) It will definitely spank an RT in the twisties. Again - - for me. I'm sure there are RT riders who can spank a GS any day of the week. I'm just not one of them.

Among all the bikes I've had were a K1100LT, an 1150RT, and an 1200RT. Also an R100GSPD Classic (never should have sold that one), an 1150GS, and two 1200GS's. For me, and I emphasize the "me" part, the 1200GS's have been the most competent and the best all-around bikes I've ever owned. Hands-down. Period. I took a 6,000 mile tour last summer on the 1200GS and did not find it lacking at all when compared to both RT's. I would say there are three main reasons I like the GS over the RT: (1) It's easier to service; (2) It's cooler to ride. In Georgia, the RT was just too hot for much of the year; (3) It will definitely spank an RT in the twisties. Again - - for me. I'm sure there are RT riders who can spank a GS any day of the week. I'm just not one of them.

+1

Decided on a GSA for my next bike. When I checked the GS and GSA I felt I wanted to ride the tank!

Hopefully have by Saturday .

Decided on a GSA for my next bike. When I checked the GS and GSA I felt I wanted to ride the tank!

Hopefully have by Saturday .

:thumbsup:

Can't wait for pictures and the ride impressions

lawnchairboy

I have both an RT and a GS, neither a wasser boxer. Where I live, I love the RT in the winter. I love the RT for longer Tarmac trips simply for the cruise. There is no question in my mind that the GS is definitely more nimble, even with my incompetent a$$ piloting it. I have to remind myself mentally which bike I am on, invariably, after not being on the GS for a while, I early apex the first several corners til I remember what bike I'm on....

I have both an RT and a GS, neither a wasser boxer. Where I live, I love the RT in the winter. I love the RT for longer Tarmac trips simply for the cruise. There is no question in my mind that the GS is definitely more nimble, even with my incompetent a$$ piloting it. I have to remind myself mentally which bike I am on, invariably, after not being on the GS for a while, I early apex the first several corners til I remember what bike I'm on....

Ridesmart anyone? I'm sure this hasn't been mentioned before. :Cool:

Archived