IGNORED

rear brake abs pressure modulator

Talbotte

here in New Brunswick Canada feeling angry. 04 1150 RT reaer brake ABS pressure modulator needs to be replaced.

Part coming from Germany $ 3190.00 plus taxes and installation

WTF will never buy another BMW again.

how can the justify a part that cost $3200.

unbelievable

I think i will park in in the drive with the key and hope someone steels it.

2001 r1150rt

Did you try bmwboneyard.com or the bmw market place for a previously experienced one?

Another option is to pull the ABS altogether and go old school.

ABS isn't cheap, just had to replace the one in my truck.

Morning Talbotte

Welcome to BMW ownership.

BMW motorcycle parts are expensive.

The muffler/cat on your bike cost $1250.00 plus installation.

The transmission is $3500.00 plus installation.

The final drive is $1600.00 plus installation.

I see you just bought your 2004RT so your failed brake controller could just as easily be from past owner lack of proper maintenance as from a BMW issue.

The thing you need to keep in mind is: you are on this board saying you will never buy another BMW motorcycle & there is a guy on a Harley board saying he will never buy another Harley product that will buy that BMW you aren't buying & a guy on a Honda board somewhere saying he will never buy a Honda product but will buy that BMW you don't want or buy that Harley the other guy doesn't want.

Maybe you should be saying you will never buy another motorcycle from the guy/shop that you bought your current 2004 from.

• Thanks 1

If you really have to have the iABS functional, there is a bit of a cheaper alternative at the moment - a company in Germany called RH Electronics will repair individual units (link here; you have to ship it to them). I have no experience with them so I am unable to comment on the quality of their work.

And possibly within the next several months, an outfit in Moscow, ID called Module Master will supposedly be offering rebuild services for the iABS units. Again, you would have to yank it out and ship it to them.

That's got to be a record. Revitalized on June 9th to WTF on the 14th.

Hoping after the brakes are fixed you can put a few hundred miles on it to begin the healing.

A 10 year old used car or motorcycle carries an expected amount of risk. No matter if it's a HD, a BMW or a Honda.

My old '99 for me, is the best motorcycle I've ever owned. And I've been riding for over 40 years. Ironically, it's my first BMW too. Bought it in '05, used.

My old '99 for me, is the best motorcycle I've ever owned. ... Ironically, it's my first BMW too.

+1 for that statement! I don't plan to upgrade my '99 RT... I think most of the "improvements" to the boxer bikes in later models while newer technology, have also made servicing and diagnosis more difficult for the owner. I am glad I don't have to take my bike to a dealer and PAY them just to get a CODE reset.

Check out Module Master in Moscow, Idaho. They repaired the ABS module from my 2000 R1100RT for $350 plus shipping both ways. Turned out to cost around $450 total. They have a 5 year warranty.

Check out Module Master in Moscow, Idaho. They repaired the ABS module from my 2000 R1100RT for $350 plus shipping both ways. Turned out to cost around $450 total. They have a 5 year warranty.

Unfortunately we are talking about an 1150 which has a totally different system and I can't find info on it.

For sure it would be worth contacting them, but don't hold your breath.

• 6 years later...
Brian Scott

Does anyone have updated info on one of these? Looks like I am screwed even if I wanted a new part (as of 5/20/21 the dealer says he cannot even order one from BMW). My RT in the span of 24 hours went from my "all time best investment to fun ratio" to "all time repair horror story." Hell, I've owned Porsches, several, for 25 years and sum total haven't spent this much on repairs. Unbelievable.

Oldrider51
On 6/14/2014 at 4:08 AM, Talbotte said:

here in New Brunswick Canada feeling angry. 04 1150 RT reaer brake ABS pressure modulator needs to be replaced.

Part coming from Germany $ 3190.00 plus taxes and installation

WTF will never buy another BMW again.

how can the justify a part that cost $3200.

unbelievable

I think i will park in in the drive with the key and hope someone steels it.

Check in the Classifieds under parts, JustMikehas an abs unit from a 2003 R1150. Maybe it will work.

Brian Scott

@Oldrider51 I am tremendously thankful for your reply alerting me to the part elsewhere on this forum! I am brand new to this, my RT having been utterly bulletproof for 18 years (and I have a fleet of vehicles plus traveled for work thus rarely got involved from an enthusiast perspective). Really grateful for your gesture! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

On 6/18/2014 at 9:37 PM, tpfeffer said:

I tried Module Master last fall for my 03, they said call back in January to get on a waiting list, i called in January , they said call back in June to get on waiting list $700  to repair. I just removed system, pretty easy job and brakes feel great. 

Really love the bike . Have put 114,00 on it . Plant o do that again.

Brian Scott

I appreciate that tip Joeb, however their website says they’re not accepting people to their waitlist even, and to “keep checking” their site for openings. 

Brian Scott
8 minutes ago, joeb said:

I tried Module Master last fall for my 03, they said call back in January to get on a waiting list, i called in January , they said call back in June to get on waiting list $700  to repair. I just removed system, pretty easy job and brakes feel great. 

Really love the bike . Have put 114,00 on it . Plant o do that again.

Oldrider51
56 minutes ago, Brian Scott said:

@Oldrider51 I am tremendously thankful for your reply alerting me to the part elsewhere on this forum! I am brand new to this, my RT having been utterly bulletproof for 18 years (and I have a fleet of vehicles plus traveled for work thus rarely got involved from an enthusiast perspective). Really grateful for your gesture! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Your welcome, hope it works out.

On 5/21/2021 at 8:50 AM, Brian Scott said:

I appreciate that tip Joeb, however their website says they’re not accepting people to their waitlist even, and to “keep checking” their site for openings. 

I'm glad I removed ABS. I've already put a few hundred miles on bike this week as opposed to sitting waiting on repairs

• 2 weeks later...
Brian Scott

Hi Joeb, I'm really in a pickle now. Before that however, "JustMike" has been the consummate gentleman and his treatment toward me has absolutely uplifted my faith in humans, seriously. That said, I knew going into this that the part he had might work, might not. There was conflicting information and ultimately the bike's computer will not recognize the new ABS module, so says the dealership that has my bike.

Are you saying that you successfully have bypassed the ABS system? I would think that this would cause computer issues; the dealer is telling me that the new ABS Sensor cannot be recognized and "the bike has shut itself down." If I can circumvent the ABS system I would do that (I've ridden bikes for nearly a half century that didn't have ABS).  

Please let me know what/how you resolved your issue. I am not averse to buying a new ABS Sensor even, but they are not available anywhere, even brand-new. The rebuilders (e.g. Module Master) are not accepting orders that I can surmise either.

Thoughts?  Thanks,  Brian

26 minutes ago, Brian Scott said:

Hi Joeb, I'm really in a pickle now. Before that however, "JustMike" has been the consummate gentleman and his treatment toward me has absolutely uplifted my faith in humans, seriously. That said, I knew going into this that the part he had might work, might not. There was conflicting information and ultimately the bike's computer will not recognize the new ABS module, so says the dealership that has my bike.

Are you saying that you successfully have bypassed the ABS system? I would think that this would cause computer issues; the dealer is telling me that the new ABS Sensor cannot be recognized and "the bike has shut itself down." If I can circumvent the ABS system I would do that (I've ridden bikes for nearly a half century that didn't have ABS).  

Please let me know what/how you resolved your issue. I am not averse to buying a new ABS Sensor even, but they are not available anywhere, even brand-new. The rebuilders (e.g. Module Master) are not accepting orders that I can surmise either.

Thoughts?  Thanks,  Brian

Afternoon   Brian Scott

Exactly what year & model BMW are you working with? 

It sounded like you have an 1150 of some sort or other?

If you have an 1150 then the motorcycle fueling computer has nothing to do with the ABS module, it can't shut the engine down  due to the ABS module as it doesn't interface in any way with the  I-ABS module. 

On the 1150 motorcycle your fueling computer has no interaction with, from, or to the ABS module so if you have an 1150 motorcycle you probably need to find another dealer that  has a Tec on staff that understands the BMW 1150 I-ABS system. 

Now if you have a BMW 1200 all bets are off but that would be difficult if you have owned it for 18 years. 

Brian Scott

Thanks Dirtrider. I concur with what you say, it makes no sense what the dealer said (or perhaps what I understood that they said). Ultimately the ABS system won’t work with the new controller (for an ‘03 RS) that I installed on my ‘03 RT. Given the unavailability of the ABS module and the risks associated with a used part (been there) I am going to remove the ABS controller entirely and have conventional brakes, just like the rest of my bikes except for a late model GS. I found someone locally who is familiar with the issue and we’re getting together in a few days to remedy this. Mainly I just don’t want to have to bin my otherwise perfect low mileage RT that has a crazy custom paint job (the builder had more money than brains). Wish me luck!

33B222FD-6598-4C7E-BB09-DBBF5E9F3A6D.jpeg

8 hours ago, Brian Scott said:

Thanks Dirtrider. I concur with what you say, it makes no sense what the dealer said (or perhaps what I understood that they said). Ultimately the ABS system won’t work with the new controller (for an ‘03 RS) that I installed on my ‘03 RT. Given the unavailability of the ABS module and the risks associated with a used part (been there) I am going to remove the ABS controller entirely and have conventional brakes, just like the rest of my bikes except for a late model GS. I found someone locally who is familiar with the issue and we’re getting together in a few days to remedy this. Mainly I just don’t want to have to bin my otherwise perfect low mileage RT that has a crazy custom paint job (the builder had more money than brains). Wish me luck!

Morning Brian

Removing the ABS system will leave you with great feeling conventional brakes, just be very careful in doing brake work around painted panels or plastic dash parts as brake fluid can quickly ruin paint or discolor plastic dash parts.

You can use your existing ABS relay to operate the brake lights (with a little re-wiring). The front brake hoses & "Y" block can be re-purposed so you won't need anything new for the front. The rear brake hose can be used by running it directly to the rear master cylinder but that puts an unnatural bend in the hose so I usually make up a new (short) rear brake pipe that runs from the rear master cylinder to the existing rear hose front attachment bracket. Some just use a GS rear hose as that is a little longer.

When you are done with the conversion  you might find the rear brake a bit too aggressive, if you do find that is a problem then just switch to organic rear brake pads as that tames the rear brake down considerably.

If you are going to keep that motorcycle then it might also be a good time to replace the rubber brake hoses with aftermarket as your original brake hoses are probably getting pretty soft inside. 

• 2 weeks later...
Brian Scott

Hi Dirtrider, as luck would have it, a former national trainer for Motorrad lives 10 miles from me and he remedied the problem right quick. He wasn’t too impressed with the factory servo setup, and now I have really good, reliable, conventional brakes. Works for me. I appreciate the guidance from everyone here! 

Brian Scott,

As Dirtrider said, "it might also be a good time to replace the rubber brake hoses with aftermarket as your original brake hoses are probably getting pretty soft inside."

DOT4 brake fluid eats (attacks) paint, plastic, and eventually the OEM "rubber" brakelines.  It's a known issue with bikes of this era.  The lines fail by either bursting like an aneurism or chunks of the brakeline work their way down into the calipers where they act as a check valve letting brake fluid into but not out of the pistons which will lockup the wheel.  That happened to me on my '99 R1100S.  

The solution is the aftermarket lines Dirtrider refers to.  Spiegler and Galfer (among others) make these lines, sometimes called "stainless steel", or "braided SS", which most newer bikes come with.  The inside tube is PTFE (Teflon), the flexible reinforcement is the "braided SS" you see thru the clear or tinted plastic cover.  

They are usually sold as kits for various bikes.  Each order is made up individually because of all the color options and length requirements for bar risers and peg lowering, but it doesnt't take long and each piece is clearly labled for its location.  I replaced the clutch line on mine, too.  The whole job start to finish and bleeding is less than a day in the garage.  Have a spray bottle with warm water plus several clean wet shop towels next to you while working on the brakes.  Sure don't want that fancy paintjob messed up.  That is one gorgeous RT.

GOOD LUCK!!

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brake-lines-accessories-tools/cycle-brake-line-kits.html

https://galferusa.com/