IGNORED

Advanced Riding School Recommendations

aggieengineer

aggieengineer

I'd like to improve my riding skills, strictly to increase safety. I've been riding on the street for 40 years now, so I'm not a novice, but would like to be more comfortable maneuvering near the limits one might encounter, such as trying to avoid cars or wildlife in a blind curve. I'm not looking to learn how to ride faster, just more competently. I don't need to learn how to squirm off the seat like a contortionist to impress anyone with my knee-dragging prowess.

Rental equipment would also be a necessity. I'll travel wherever I need to, but don't want to flog my own RT in a training environment. Does such a school exist?

russell_bynum

Yes, absolutely.

First...don't write off the track schools like the Superbike School. The majority of the skills are directly transferable to normal street riding and the same technique that will let you go faster and impress all the chicks with your knee-dragging shenanigans, will let you ride your normal speed with a much larger safety margin. You can definitely rent bikes at the California Superbike School (BMW S1000RR)

You could also check out Streetmasters (http://www.streetmasters.info/) which does training classes at a track, but with a street-specific focus and street-specific skidpad drills. Most people ride their own bikes, but you may be able to source a rental to use instead. I'm not sure.

The MSF's ERC would be a good one as well...though it's still pretty basic.

Edit: If you do a track school...be sure it's actually a school and not just a trackday that offers some informal instruction. Usually the instructors there are just friends of the organizer who are doing instruction in exchange for free track time. Sometimes they're good, sometimes not. You're looking for a real school with curriculum...well vetted instructors, etc.

First...don't write off the track schools like the Superbike School. The majority of the skills are directly transferable to normal street riding and the same technique that will let you go faster and impress all the chicks with your knee-dragging shenanigans, will let you ride your normal speed with a much larger safety margin. You can definitely rent bikes at the California Superbike School (BMW S1000RR)

+1

Danny caddyshack Noonan
This is what you want, motor officer skills.

+1 to that. Just ignore the part where they teach you how to check your reflection in storefront glass.

I did a Reg Pridmore class at VIR, but to be honest, it was a thinly disguised open track day. Very thinly disguised. I had not done any road racing in 20 years, and it was great to revisit that total adrenaline buzz of WFO on a good race track.

This is what you want, motor officer skills.

+1 to that. Just ignore the part where they teach you how to check your reflection in storefront glass.

:rofl:
aggieengineer

Thanks for the recommendations and insight. Keith Code has a class in Sonoma, CA this September, and my wife and I will be vacationing there that month. Sounds like a perfect opportunity to tweak the senses with an expert on the track, and then dull them at a winery.

I've done the MSF Advanced Rider Course and the Streetmasters Class.

Got a lot out of the MSF.

But Streetmasters was a eye opener. I had probably close to 80-90k miles on the street prior to taking it plus 3-4 years of Vintage Roadracing.

Streetmasters was a combination of educational, exciting and fun. This is pure street technique and tactics taught on a curvy race track that is marked like a 2 lane street.

Lots of elevation changes, exercises in braking, downshifting, obstacle avoidance, plus some fun slow speed drills.

A number of our customers took the class and everyone was very happy with skills learned.

You will need your own bike and the venue is not a place where most wives would be happy watching you do the class all day. I think they do offer a two-up class as well.

russell_bynum
Thanks for the recommendations and insight. Keith Code has a class in Sonoma, CA this September, and my wife and I will be vacationing there that month. Sounds like a perfect opportunity to tweak the senses with an expert on the track, and then dull them at a winery.

Ride tale and pics are expected. :Cool:

Have fun. Infineon/Sears Point looks like a really fun track.

lawnchairboy

Some of the best money and time I spent was at barber at Code. They had this yahoo track instructor there... Baker or something ..

I did a Reg Pridmore class at VIR, but to be honest, it was a thinly disguised open track day. Very thinly disguised. I had not done any road racing in 20 years, and it was great to revisit that total adrenaline buzz of WFO on a good race track.

My impression of Reg's CLASS was different. It was my first ever trackday and I think I got a lot out of it. Most important was taking the ride with Reg after lunch on his VFR and coming to the realization that I needed to get a lot smoother. I'm still working on that but have improved significantly and no doubt that single skill has saved my bacon many times.

Compared to Sportbike TrackTime's track days, Reg's was like comparing Oxford University to community college. IMHO of course.

rpg

russell_bynum

Compared to Sportbike TrackTime's track days, Reg's was like comparing Oxford University to community college. IMHO of course.

rpg

Assuming it's the same Sportbike Track Time that we have out here...yeah. Not even close. More like Oxford vs. your cousin Eddit saying "Hold my beer and watch this."

Archived