IGNORED

Lithium Ion Battery Replacement - Battery Tender BTL14A240C Lithium Iron Ph

Selden

The Odyssey PC 680 in my RT is about 6 years old, and for the past 6 months, I have noticed that it doesn't crank forcefully if left off the trickle charger for more than a week. It hasn't died yet, but I have been burned in the past by ignoring the warning signs of a battery on the way out.

As an experiment, I decided to replace it with a Battery Tender BTL14A240C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery. This is a 14 Ah battery, with a claimed 240 CCA. Prices on Amazon.com over the past 6 months have been fluctuating between ~$116 and $140, and I managed to place order near the bottom of that range, plus I used some Amazon points to bring my out-of-pocket cost to $100. The next larger capacity BT lithium battery would not fit in the battery box. The Shorai LFX21L6-BS12 is rated at 21 Ah and 315 CCA, but runs $50-$75 more than the Battery Tender.

Aside from the obvious difference in size and weight between a lead acid and lithium battery (this is the fastest way to take more than 12 pounds off the weight of a bike), I really like the 4-post layout of the Battery Tender. Not only can you orient it just about any way, but this arrangement leaves 2 posts for the main power connections, and two more for auxiliary connections. If I had to do the installation over, I would go to Michael's or similar art supply store and buy some high density, closed cell foam blocks, as I used up all the spacers that came with the battery, and then some before I had a snug fit. The bike started right up, arguably cranking a little faster than with the Odyssey fresh off the charger. Time will tell how well a lithium battery holds up in cold weather, and whether or not it lives up to its claim of lasting 5 times longer than lead acid batteries — if true, it's probably the last battery I will ever buy for the RT.

Pictures, as the saying goes, are worth thousands of words.

P1100277.JPG

BMW?authkey=Gv1sRgCNmrmeqKor6IUQ#6019652638893674178

P1100274.JPG

P1100281.JPG

P1100263.JPG

Blind Squirrel

There have been many reports of Lithium batteries having problems in cold weather.

Seeing as you are in Atlanta this may never be a problem for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Selden what type of charger have you been using with the PC-680? I found that they need 14.7V to keep happy.

I recently went thru this with my 03 RT, now I have an Odyssey charger.

Good luck with the new battery!

Archived