IGNORED

Coastal Riders?

Twisties

Figured there might be riders heading up or down along the coast. Sharon(Bullett) and I will be available to host riders coming through Brookings on the 12th and 13th. We'll be around again the 21st (probably late the 20th, but I'm not guaranteeing anything) and thereafter. We have two guest rooms, floor space and tent space. We also have shop facilities. Lots of great riding, beaches, capes, forests, hikes...

We haven't really settled on a route up to Moscow yet, but are leaning towards leaving Saturday the 14th and weaving our way up through the Cascades.... something like this Map at OSRM.

The route involves paved roads but has areas of broken pavement, one lane road, gravel patches up to 1/2 a mile long, and other hazards. Descriptions (scroll down below the maps) of the roads came from Oregon Motorcyclist, as follows:

Bear Camp Rd

Bear Camp to Wolf Creek

The Umpqua R. Hwy 138

Hwy 58 to Oakridge

Oakridge to Blue R. via NF-19

A bit of Hwy-126

Quartzville Rd

The southern part of this, to connect to NF-42

and finally NF-42

We aren't looking for a crowd, but if there are a few that are interested in riding, it might be fun. We still need to figure stops, which may add miles, or alter the route. We are looking for suggestions!

Coming back I think it's the Columbia R. Gorge and out to Astoria, then down the coast.

Bill_Walker

Verrry interesting (except the gravel parts, but hopefully they're not too bad). I'd probably have to leave home a day or two earlier than planned to include Brookings in the route. Lots of folks here could probably do the I-5/101 route from SD to Brookings in one day, but I don't think I'm one of them. And who wants to ride up I-5 through the Central Valley in June?

... And who wants to ride up I-5 through the Central Valley in June through the end of May?

Isn't this closer to your true feelings?

Bill_Walker
... And who wants to ride up I-5 through the Central Valley in June through the end of May?

True. Best avoided if at all possible any time of year. I've been doing some mapping, and have discovered that it only costs about an hour to take 101 instead. It's still slab, but at least it has some curves and better scenery and weather.

True. Best avoided if at all possible any time of year. I've been doing some mapping, and have discovered that it only costs about an hour to take 101 instead. It's still slab, but at least it has some curves and better scenery and weather.

Hope you can make it. I think it will be a fun ride, and very scenic. With 3 days we think there will be plenty of time to stop and enjoy the surroundings. I will be bringing the camera.

The gravel sections on Bear Camp have not been much issue, but we haven't been up there yet this year. I am hoping to make a pre-run, but it may not happen.

markgoodrich

Uh oh. "Bringing the camera," is that code for "Stop every two miles?" Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Uh oh. "Bringing the camera," is that code for "Stop every two miles?" Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Code? I thought I was being explicit!

Figured there might be riders heading up or down along the coast. Sharon(Bullett) and I will be available to host riders coming through Brookings on the 12th and 13th. We'll be around again the 21st (probably late the 20th, but I'm not guaranteeing anything) and thereafter. We have two guest rooms, floor space and tent space. We also have shop facilities. Lots of great riding, beaches, capes, forests, hikes...

Gar and I can also host some riders as well. We have one guest loft and room in the garage apt. for aero bed, sleeping bags etc. Also have garage space and tools. We are leaving the 13th and probably returning 23rd or 24th.

IN! I'll see you on the 13th!

Sweet! Are you up for playing it by ear, or do you want to try to figure stops ahead and make reservations? I still haven't done anything on that account....

If it stays this small I think we can be flexible and make decisions on the road.

Those are some nice looking roads on that route!

I'm hoping so! It'll mostly all be new to us. I think I'm going to need a GPS time! :-)

Bill_Walker
IN! I'll see you on the 13th!

Sweet! Are you up for playing it by ear, or do you want to try to figure stops ahead and make reservations? I still haven't done anything on that account....

If it stays this small I think we can be flexible and make decisions on the road.

Playing it by ear works for me. If there are just a few of us, finding rooms shouldn't be too tough.

Archived