IGNORED

2014 R1200RT - Self Service

Beemafied

$300 and change for the 600 mile service yesterday. Service Mgr indicated if I change the oil myself at 6k miles, I won't be able to reset the the service light without a $42 hook-up to a diagnostics computer. Trying to keep my cost per mile reasonable as I can't stop riding her. Any thoughts?

$300 and change for the 600 mile service yesterday. Service Mgr indicated if I change the oil myself at 6k miles, I won't be able to reset the the service light without a $42 hook-up to a diagnostics computer. Trying to keep my cost per mile reasonable as I can't stop riding her. Any thoughts?

Ignore the dealer extortion indicator.

My mechanic at the 600 mile check was showing me how easy it is to do all of the routine maintenance. One basically just needs to change fluids except for the value adjustment. We did not discuss a service reminder on the bike. I guess that is what black electrical tape is for. He suggested doing the final drive yearly instead of every other year. He was very clear to measure the final drive oil accurately.

Will a GS911 clear service interval warnings on the new RT?

No

1) It will require a whole new GS911 model according to the company.

2) It's been advertised on their Website for quite a while now, so I think it's a fair guess that this won't be anytime "soon".

• 4 weeks later...
I'm not seeing any up updated information on the new GS911. It's been a long time since http://www.hexcode.co.za/ put it on the roadmap of upcoming releases. Any rumors or other info available.

Jay

Jim Von Baden said something about around the MOA rally for the release time frame.

I'm not seeing any up updated information on the new GS911. It's been a long time since http://www.hexcode.co.za/ put it on the roadmap of upcoming releases. Any rumors or other info available.

Jay

Jim Von Baden said something about around the MOA rally for the release time frame.

Thanks that would be great, with the RTW sidelined for now that timing is perfect for me.

Jay

Will a GS911 clear service interval warnings on the new RT?

I changed my oil at 585 miles and now have 1050 and still no light.....

• 1 month later...

Jay

Ponch, its true Ted Porter is introducing the new GS911 WiFi at the BMW MOA National this week http://tinyurl.com/k8cqvkl It doesn’t show the WC RT I’m checking with Ted now but I have to assume it will work with it. Ted does how a WC GSA for 2013?

Not much if anything at http://www.hexcode.co.za but I did find this, very helpful http://www.hexcode.co.za/gs-911wifi-setup

Jay

Ponch, its true Ted Porter is introducing the new GS911 WiFi at the BMW MOA National this week http://tinyurl.com/k8cqvkl It doesn’t show the WC RT I’m checking with Ted now but I have to assume it will work with it. Ted does how a WC GSA for 2013?

Jay

I sent a message to Ted myself asking the same question. Now I am selling my old GS911 since I cannot use it anymore....Or my new bike for that matter...

Just got a message from Ted:

"I texted my contacts at Hexcode and they tell me it works on the RT and S1000R as well."

That's great news... Not being familiar with how these work, are they fairly easy to operate and worth the expense based on what they can do?

• 1 month later...

I like the tool and they are very easy to use. Unfortunately, the new WIFI GS911 is NOT ready for the 2014 RT even though their website has it listed. Also, much to my dismay, Hexcode NEVER responded to my questions... I did get the correct information through Ted Porter at the Beemershop but am pretty disappointed in Hexcode's lack of communication.

That's a very expensive unit compared to the old one.

I have the older Bluetooth version for my previous 1150RT/1200RT.

The cost of the new one is what?? More then double?

The Pro unit went up a lot but the regular one which will reset up to 10 vin's is up $50 US ($350 to $400). The regular one can do it all but it’s limited to 10 vin's (this is to reset the service intervals). If you need to you can upgrade the regular unit can be for a fee (this hasn’t been release but in the past you paid about a $25 premium)

As you may know your older unit won’t work on the New Wetheads. The new WiFi is backward compatible.

Jay

Hello Jay

I had a look and the new 2014RT has got the exact same connector as my previous 2005RT. I am a Technician and would like to here their argument (in detail), why the old unit would not work with the new bikes. Specially if the new unit is "backwards compatible".

I and I believe others purchased their units on the specific advertisement point of these to be "upgradeable" via Software updates.

The company like all others has to make money..that's the whole point.

No argument there.

But the upgrade should have been offered against a nominal fee for owners of the previous units.

Hello Jay

I had a look and the new 2014RT has got the exact same connector as my previous 2005RT. I am a Technician and would like to here their argument (in detail), why the old unit would not work with the new bikes. Specially if the new unit is "backwards compatible".

I and I believe others purchased their units on the specific advertisement point of these to be "upgradeable" via Software updates.

No argument there.

But the upgrade should have been offered against a nominal fee for owners of the previous units.

Hi Alford,

You'll have to take that up with Hexcode I'm just repeating what’s out there. To my understanding the unlimited free upgrades are gone too. As for the WiFi unit you’ll have a year’s worth then you need to pay a fee to continue (nothing has been released).

I don’t work for nor do I have any interest in Hexcode I’m a guy considering buying the tool. I’m waiting until I know it’s working with the 14R1200RT.

Jay

Hello Jay

No argument there.

Evening Alfred

The new 2014/2015 1200RT's use the new Lin-Bus system (new protocol).

Hello Jay

No argument there.

Evening Alfred

If only it was OBD II.

Hello Jay

No argument there.

Hi Alford,

You'll have to take that up with Hexcode I'm just repeating what’s out there. To my understanding the unlimited free upgrades are gone too. As for the WiFi unit you’ll have a year’s worth then you need to pay a fee to continue (nothing has been released).

I don’t work for nor do I have any interest in Hexcode I’m a guy considering buying the tool. I’m waiting until I know it’s working with the 14R1200RT.

Jay

Hello Jay

This wasn't a personal attack on you and my commends were towards the subject at hand.

Not that you forwarded the information.

So hopefully you did not take this as a personal offense.

Hello Jay

No argument there.

Evening Alfred

Thanks DR

Can-Bus/Lin-bus, I assume are just different protocols (Software related). It's the same Connector, so unless Lin-Bus uses different signal wiring within the connector and their device (which is entirely possible), it shouldn't be an issue.

Now if the new one is backwards compatible, then the internal wiring must similar or the same.

Anyway..

I purchased the last one, but this one is too much money for me.

Morning Alfred

I haven't (personally) verified it but have been told the pin position in the diagnostic connector is different.

Morning Alfred

I haven't (personally) verified it but have been told the pin position in the diagnostic connector is different.

Or perhaps there are additional pins used in the new system that were blanks or unused in the old system. This would help explain why/how it would be backward compatible.

Archived