IGNORED

Protection for tank where knees "grip" tank

OzarkR1200RT

OzarkR1200RT

Any one to determine suitable protection for side of tank.....where knees contact tank?

Like to grip the tank with my legs around twisties.....unfortunately seeing some rub marks where my riding pants make contact

In the past, I've just ordered some Scotchgard Paint Protection Film and cut it to the shape needed to protect the tank. It's pretty darned easy to do, and this approach also allows you to apply the product to other parts of the bike that take a lot of abuse, like the tops of your sidecases.

Works great.

scott r1200rt

I just put on the tank slapper. Get the squeegee and it is a piece of cake. Keep in mind, it is the sticky 3M and not the peel off type. worth the money!

scott

Hey guys,

My 2006 and 2011 RTs had that tank bag rail system on the tank and, therefore, really didn't need a paint protection sticker. (as I'm sure we all know).

This is not the case for the new 2014. I'm expecting to take delivery of my bike next week and was wondering what's available and what people were using, if anything?

I'm quite stocky, ok fat, and would likely need something.

thank you for comments.

regards,

Len

I assume you are asking about the BMW tank bag; I've had mine for a while now no protection no damage. I just did buy from Tank Slapper the total kit so it will have 3m film soon. https://thetankslapper.biz/oc/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_63&product_id=405 I live in the country, our road are chip and seal. This surface is just bad on paint and tires, I got the file to protect the paint.

Jay

wow, that's quite a kit. I often 3M protect my 4 wheeled vehicles but haven't done a motorcycle yet.

Actually I was just looking for the piece that would stop my gut from scratching the tank but thanks for your reply and the link.

Len

Len,

Check out this previous thread:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=885057#Post885057

As our tanks have that factory overlaid piece that runs down the middle, not sure how some of the pieces you see in this thread would help on each side of that center piece. That's where my tank will need a little buffing. The thread also talks about where your knees come in contact with the tank.

Hope it helps!

Dan

Thanks Dan,

I did use this site's search feature and google prior to starting new topic here. Nothing came up. (sorry to re-post and be a pita)

I just ordered the Tankslapper kit that Yammer did. Looks like just the ticket.

thanks again for the link.

Len

Howdy all

I got the tankslapper kit the other day. Filled up a squirt bottle isopropyl alcohol and got me lil squeegee out and went to town. Works great. The pieces cover the sides of the tank, the knee area, the middle rail of the top of the tank and both sides of the center strip from the seat to half way up. Can hardly tell its on. All the right areas are covered and I am impressed....just wish it had side bag protectors too...

Archived