IGNORED

Things to do and see in the Moscow area

MikeRC

This thread will contain suggestions on what to see and do in your down time, if you are travelling two-up or just want to wander about.

Eateries (in no particular order):

Out-of-the way or destination eateries:

Elk City Restaurant...Huckleberry Milk Shakes

Emida ID Bar, Dales Wagon Wheel Bar, Potlatch ID..good sandwiches

Southwick ID Restaurant, good chile

Timber Inn, Pierce Id...good food.

Spragpole, Murray ID

Bogans...bottom of Rattlesnake Grade.

Moscow (just a sample from Urbanspoon):

Stax - American, Sandwiches/Subs, Soup

Mikey's Greek Gyros - Greek

Breakfast Club - American, Breakfast/Brunch

La Casa Lopez - Mexican

Nectar - Wine Bar

Moscow Bagel & Deli - Bagels, Sandwiches/Subs

LocoGrinz Hawaiian BBQ - Asian, Hawaiian, International

Sangria Grille - Steakhouse, Latin American, Modern American

Gambinos - Italian, Pizza, Sandwiches/Subs

CD's Smoke Pit - Barbecue

Bloom - Breakfast/Brunch

Bucer's Coffee House Pub - Coffee

Moscow Food Co-op - Organic

Gnosh - American, Steakhouse, Tapas

Pullman (Just a sample from Urbanspoon):

The Black Cypress - Greek, Italian, Mediterranean

South Fork Public House - American

Phikun's Thai Cuisine - Thai

Cougar Country Drive-In - Burgers, Diner, Fast Food

Old European Breakfast House - Breakfast/Brunch, European Calzone & Pizza - Italian, Pizza, Sandwiches/Subs

Golden Teriyaki - Asian, Japanese, Teriyaki

Nuevo Vallarta - Mexican

Cafe Moro - Breakfast/Brunch, Coffee

Tacos La Diferencia - Fast Food, Mexican, Tacos

Tokyo Seoul - Japanese, Korean, Sushi

Tam's Place - Breakfast/Brunch

Cougar Cottage - Burgers

Thanks to over on ADVrider (an inmate from Moscow) for his suggestions for the destination eateries.

Mike Cassidy

Suggestions on some local historical sites, national and state parks etc.

There are many important historical sites included in the Nez Perce National Historic Park and along the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail.

- Steptoe Butte, good roads to and from the Butte.

- Steptoe Battleground is near Rosalia.

- Mary Minerva McCroskey State Park...Skyline Drive is 23 mi of ridge gravel between Farmington WA and hwy 95 in ID

- Dent Bridge...a suspension bridge over Dworshak Reservoir. Between Elk River and Orofino. Paved road on the Orofino side, gravel on the Elk River side.

- Grandad Bridge...crosses Dworshak between Elk River and Pierce. Super nice views. Forest roads.

- Wallace...historic mining town in Id. Full services, mine tours.

- Silver Valley Gondola Ride.

- Spragpole restaurant and museum in Murray ID.(north of Wallace)

- Cataldo Mission...on I-90. Oldest bldg in ID

- St Gertrudes Monastery...A nunnery, Inn, Museum in Cottonwood ID.

- Weis Rock Shelter...an 8000yr old cave type shelter, north of Cottonwood

- Nez Perce Museum, Spaulding Church and Slickpoo Church...on 95 between Lewiston and Lapwai.

- Heart of the Beast...on hwy 12 near Kamiah (an important Nez Perce site)

- Buster House Tea Room...Pomeroy WA. Make reservations for high tea with all the pastries and stuff.

- Pataha Flour Mill...tours. In Pomeroy

- Appaloosa Museum in Moscow

- McConnell Mansion in Moscow

- News and Print Museum in Palouse WA

Officially if you want to visit Palouse Falls, Steptoe Butte or Steptoe Battlefield state parks you need a Washington State Parks Discovery Pass.

A Discover Pass is required for vehicle access to state parks and recreation lands managed by the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), and the Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR). One pass can be transferred between two vehicles. The fees are as follows (transaction and dealer fees may apply):

•Annual pass: $30

• One-day pass: $10

Washington State Discovery Pass

They can be purchased in Whitman County at a number of sporting goods stores and other outlets.

License Vendors, Whitman County

Thanks again to on ADVrider for many of the suggestions.

Mike Cassidy

szurszewski

Hudson's in Coeur d'Alene

This is my favorite place in the WORLD to get a burger. Now, it's absolutely not the best burger I've had, and a good portion of my love comes from having grown up going over to visit family in town and around, but if you like a traditional counter dining experience, and only want a burger and maybe a slice of pie, check it out. If you want, I don't know, fries or a milkshake - go elsewhere. Also, bring cash.

Here's my son about to eat his first Huddy burger - or parts there of - just shy of two years old. Also pictured are his grandfather, one of his grandmothers, and his uncle.

IMG_0080.JPG

And in this terrible picture - not sure who took it - you can see my Mt. Dew, and more importantly, the big tray of beef from which the burgers emerge in rapid succession.

IMG_0084.jpg

yum.

Dennis Andress

Taking the mention of ADVRider as a suggestion, I found this thread from thetourist. Pictures and links to what look like nice rides.

Taking the mention of ADVRider as a suggestion, I found this thread from thetourist. Pictures and links to what look like nice rides.

I don't think my two weeks in Idaho will be long enough!

I've been away on a course for the last week and unable to keep contributing to the thread. Hopefully I will get some time this week.

Al will be visiting Moscow next weekend and will get some GPS files up after checking recent road conditions.

Last fall I mentioned getting the Butler Motorcycle Maps - Idaho Edition and Destination Highways Washington Companion Map. The two lay out the whole area (including some gravel roads) visually and will help you plan your way to and from the Un as well as highly recommended routes.

Other sources include the Motorcycle Roads Northwest Idaho and Eastern Washington sections.

Another recommended ADVrider ride thread would be: what's that famous twisty road in Idaho?

Mike Cassidy

I've got the following penciled in for one day (probably Tues).

6AM departure (should be plenty of light). 95 south to 12 (Lolo Pass) to Missoula, MT. Looks like about 4.5 hrs, so arrival in Missoula around 10:30/11A. An early lunch. Maybe a siesta in the local park. And a 1PM departure for a 6PM-ish arrival back in time to let Whip buy me dinner.

Might be willing to add one or two compatriots if they fall under the guidelines of UTBFBIAAMSILLAPIA.

Yip, we're checkin it out starting on the 27th.

FB- UTBFBIAAMSILLAPIA. That's got to hurt...

It's not as exclusive a club as the long title might lead one to believe:

Used To Be Fast But I Ain't Any More, Still I'll Lie Like A Politician If Asked

If I can get one or two who will admit (even if reluctantly) to membership in this group, they can join me on my ride to Missoula. Tall tales are always better if you have, uh. . ., corroboration.

Nando, Sounds like fun, but I'm going to be lookin for the slow poke ride. " A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood

Nando, Sounds like fun, but I'm going to be lookin for the slow poke ride. " A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood

Doug, we ARE the slow-poke ride, at least we are now that I'm older. It's just that we're gonna lie about it when we get back to UnRally HQ and fill the evening with tales of daring passes, ground down center stands, elbows almost touching the ground, and (taking a page out of Wurty's book) all the women we passed on the road, and who saw us in Missoula and "wanted" us.

Nobody's going to believe you now, Nando!

The section of Highway 12 from Lewiston to Orofino (and sometimes Kooskia) can be pretty busy and there aren't many chances to pass. The quiet(er) part from Kooskia to Lolo Pass (Montana border) has a 50 mph limit on it and is pretty heavily patrolled. There can also be some pretty slow trucks on the steeper grades. It is a very scenic ride along the Clearwater River with nice sight lines and mostly sweepers with minimal straight sections of road for over an hour of riding. On a hot day it offers dozens of pull-offs to cool your feet in the river and watch the fishermen. There is a very good Visitor Center at Lolo Pass with excellent displays (mostly Lewis & Clark Expedition), vending machines and washrooms.

If you want to stop in Kooskia you can try finding the Heart of the Beast (Monster) of Nez Perce legend.

The Montana side has a 70 mph speed limit ;)

May I suggest throwing in the Ahsahka Grade/Old Highway 7 or Old Lewiston Grade (Spiral Highway) on your way back to spice it up a bit?

Mike Cassidy

6AM departure

OUT, didn't read the rest 8-)

(The day before I leave for Idaho I have a 4am departure for a back country tour of Capitol Reef featuring sunrise at the Temples, it'll probably take me the next 2 weeks to recover!)

Since there is already a lot of chatter about possible ride options, I'll post a link to a site that was developed 10 years ago for an FJR rally that was held in Moscow FJR Rides . It may whet your appetite for some of the ride options available. I've contacted the author of those rides and Marc has given me permission to use portions of the text if I want to with the write up for our routes. The UN routes should be posted in digital format (gdb & gpx files) next weekend after Lester, Nadine, Deb and I have checked out their condition.

Since Fernando has already broached the possibility of riding to Missoula, the "Big Dog Ride" will be a circle route that will take you east up Highway 12 (Lolo Pass) then through Missoula, north-west along I 90 for 67 miles to St. Regis, Mt. From there, you will climb 13 miles of good quality gravel road to the height of land between Idaho and Montana then follow the 93 mile St. Joe River Scenic Byway St. Joe River Scenic Byway to St. Maries. There are a number of riders who believe that this road is better than the more famous Lolo Pass, but I'll let you be the judge. Be forewarned that if you do this ride on Wednesday, you may be LATE FOR DINNER as Google directions shows it to be 226 miles (4 hours 47 minutes) from Moscow to Missoula. The return leg is 245 miles in 5 hours 45 minutes for a total of 471 miles in 10 1/2 hours. For riders that don't want to take on a ride that is this long, there will be several options available that will let you sample portions of these roads.

We have requested copies of the Southeast Washington and North Central Idaho including some NE Oregon and SW Montana maps from RideWith Us Maps . Everybody should get a copy with their registration package. Note that these maps also have GRAVEL options for those of you that don't mind getting your bikes dirty.

If you're passing through Pendleton, OR, about 175 miles SW from Moscow, ID, especially around dinner time (the restaurant is only open for dinner), you might want to stop by Hamley's Steakhouse.

Hamley's web-site

Photo Gallery

"Horse-people" will know Hamley's for saddles, tack, and western wear. But there is also a good restaurant. The interesting decor is something right out of a western "horse-opera" complete with balcony seating and copper ceiling. Food is good "comfort food", although a bit pricey. Definitely worth a look if you're in the area.

Mike: i checked, the guy who was reopening the BBQ and Blues place we stopped at on the way down to Nevada for the 2010 Un is still open and cranking it out,

sounds like a lunch ride to me...

Big John's Rib House

located at 801 Elm Street, Clarkston, WA, in the old Smitty's Barrell. 509-758-1999

6AM departure (should be plenty of light). 95 south to 12 (Lolo Pass) to Missoula, MT. Looks like about 4.5 hrs, so arrival in Missoula around 10:30/11A. An early lunch. Maybe a siesta in the local park. And a 1PM departure for a 6PM-ish arrival back in time to let Whip buy me dinner.

Might be willing to add one or two compatriots if they fall under the guidelines of UTBFBIAAMSILLAPIA.

Interested! I missed Lolo Pass last time I was in the area (after Beartooth).

RocksforBrains

I have a son at U of I and so I can vouch for a couple of the restaurants in Moscow.

Stax: Excellent sandwiches. Get the half sandwich unless you want to save the other half for a snack later. The whole sandwich is BIG. Get the Vandal Club. You will thank me later. It is a small place with seating for 15 or so people inside and a couple of tables outside. Highly recommended. It is about 200 yds from the U of I student center and bookstore. There are nice clean restrooms in the student center and the bookstore has a Starbucks inside.

Breakfast Club. Excellent breakfasts. Can be busy, so might want to get there early or late for breakfast. They do provide free coffee outside while you wait on a table.

Moscow Bagel and Deli. Excellent Bagels and Bagel sandwiches.

Unfortunately I have had a family commitment on the calendar during this time and so cannot attend. Dang It!!

Great links MikeRC, thanks for that.

I'm thinking pikes peak (never done that), Torrey, Salt Lake, ID 75, 93, 12 Moscow.

David:

If you are doing ID 75 from Stanton Crossing through Sun Valley and Stanley and 93 from Challis, ID to Lolo, MT you are in for a treat!

Galena Summit:

Galena_summit_pan_sm.jpg

The Sawtooth Range at Stanley, ID:

Sawtooth_pan_sm.jpg

Salmon River along ID75:

ID75a_sm.jpg

Don't count on any available accommodations in Stanley, I've been stunk out twice there.

If you have a few extra minutes at Lost Trail Pass nip over to the Big Hole National Battlefield.

Mike Cassidy

David

Further to Mike's information, we've stayed at the Stagecoach Inn in Salmon, Idaho several times and been quite happy with it - biker friendly, decent breakfast and short walk to downtown.

One of our favourite micro-brews is Bertram's on main street where there is good food and a varied selection of beverages. Several years ago they had a seasonal Huckleberry beer, but Deb's standby is their hazelnut beer. My preference is the Mt. Borah Brown Ale, although the Sacajewea Stout is also tasty (did I mention it is walking distance from the motel?).

Todd:

All of the routes listed in the UnRally XIII - Moscow paved routes are suitable. Al has amended Route 2 Elk River to indicate there are 8 to 10 miles of gravel between Elk River and the Dent Bridge. Also if you go to Palouse Falls State Park there is one mile of gravel at the entry road.

There is no need to use gravel at all (other then construction zones you may find enroute) if you don't want. Even the ride through St Maries to the height-of-land along the St Joe River Scenic Byway doesn't include gravel until you get to the Idaho/Montana border. As long as you can carry 176 miles of gas you are good-to-go to the top and turn around to come back.

Mike Cassidy

Archived