IGNORED

Michelin Pilot Road 3's

RPG

I had a track day scheduled for yesterday at Grattan Raceway north of Grand Rapids, MI.

A month ago I decided to switch to new Michelin PR3's over my Dunlop RoadSmart 2's.

After getting them installed last week, I was looking forward to pushing them hard at the Track. We didn't figure on a full rain-out to realize their full potential.

What I love about Track Day's is you get to ride in any weather. So yesterday was on and off thunderstorms all day, which convinced me that I could work on being very, very smooth.

I was pleasantly surprised how well the PR3's worked. Water was on the track all day, and in several areas, even small streams were running across it as well as several 2-3" puddles that were unavoidable in several faster areas of the track.

While trying to focus on smooth edge changes, braking and shifting, I could tell that the tires were working wonderfully. I general avoid tar strips in the rain after a near catastrophe years ago on the freeway has been a mental block ever since.

But the PR3's didn't react at all when crossing them in the wet, leaned over, and on the throttle. And a few blasts down the straight in one particular deluge further re-enforced my confidence in their wet weather performance.

One observation is that the ABS never activated where it has many times in the past from 100+mph slow downs into turn 1. I thought was quite impressive in those conditions.

We'll see how they last but so far, I'm definitely impressed.

Just wanted to share that with y'all

RPG

• 1 month later...

I ran the PR3's on my 2010 1200 GS with great results. These were the 'Trail' version. I logged 10,000 miles with the set before changing them out. Wear was quite even with some cupping on the front tire but not enough to affect the handling of the bike.

I found the rear resistant to flattening the center as it retained the rounded profile longer than other tires that I have had experience with.

Living in Indiana we don't have the opportunity to use the sides of the tread as much as we would like!

I would recommend these for road use, not good in the dirt. Not intended for off road use, however. I will buy these again.

Archived