IGNORED

Any "Might as well" suggestions

ozmojo

I'm finally doing the MCcruise add on to my 04 RT and as long as this bike is stripped down like it is (and I do mean naked)are there any other "jobs" I should do while I'm in there ? I would like to work on the speedo cold whine but if its in the head unit I'm not sure I could cure it. All mechanical maintenance is up to date and I got a new battery so I'm asking the collective if there are things I "might as well do" while all the tupperware is off that I'm not thinking of ?

greiffster

My winter project includes these two:

Swap the plastic fuel line disconnects with the brass ones. Replace the original brake lines with braided SS.

Maybe your '04 is already done.

Can we assume the brake servo and clutch have been bleed? In tank filter and or fuel lines.Throttle body sync. I guess it depends what all mechanical means. Alternator belt?

AnotherLee

That's the aftermarket electronic cruise control. About $1K US for BMW bikes. See mccruise.com

roger 04 rt

Here are some things that can fail without warning, from my '04 RT with 30K miles:

1) in-tank fuel hoses-replaced all after catastrophic failure

2) clutch slave cylinder-has soar, replaced, cylinder was leaking

3) Hall effect sensor-replaced, probably okay

4) transmission input shaft-checked play through starter opening, 1/16 play at clutch perimeter

If I bought an Oilhead and the in-tank hoses hadn't been replaced I'd just do it. and probably the slave and HES too.

Some good suggestions from you guys. I am going to pull the starter to lube the shaft so I'll check the tranny input shaft then, that was a good idea.The brakes were bled in Oct. so I'm not doing anything this year to them maybe next year. The fuel filter was done at the same time and I didn't see anything in the hoses to give me any concerns and as for H.E.S. I'll face that when and if it happens. I do have a new alt. belt so I'll look at that too and I'll check out the shocks. The quick connects were replaced already and as a alert to everyone make sure you place the release tabs in a spot were they won't get bumped from normal riding... you wont like what happens if they come apart when you're on the the road . When I tore this girl down I was amazed at how much muck and pea gravel was imbedded in the engine area, gonna have to invest in a fender extender. Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions and keep'em coming.

My winter project includes these two:

Swap the plastic fuel line disconnects with the brass ones. Replace the original brake lines with braided SS.

Maybe your '04 is already done.

Funny you should say that. I just got my '04 R1150RT modded with those same items. Had it in for a service at BCW-SF and Dave suggested braided lines and metal fittings for the fuel system.

clip-- The fuel filter was done at the same time and I didn't see anything in the hoses to give me any concerns and as for H.E.S. I'll face that when and if it happens. I--clip

Afternoon Ozmojo

On the in-tank fuel hoses --those are submersible hoses so really won't show much of any signs of impending failure. They usually fail from the inside out with the last thing to fail being a blowout in the outer hose layer.

If yours are original they could fail on about any ride be it near or far.

On the HES-- the late 1150 really didn't have much of any issue with the HES as the later wiring is much more robust. The HES itself seldom fails, it's the wire pigtail insulation that usually fails on the early HES systems.

About the only thing I have seen, HES wise, on the later 1150's is an incorrect pigtail clip & BMW had a service bulletin on that & how to correct.

gmcjetpilot

$1000 for electronic cruise control? OK. Why? Why not?

1) I have twist throttle lock, works good, but of course you speed up down hill and slow down going up. No big deal for me.

2) If I want electronic cruise control (don't get me wrong, very cool and like to have), I'd sell my '04 RT; I'd take that $1000 I'd spend on the cruise modification and buy a late model RT, like a '09 RT or newer with cruise control (and without wiz brakes).

3) I like to cruise, but the most fun I have on my bike are twisty roads, where I wouldn't use any kind of cruise control, mechanic lock or electronic...

I paid $5,500 for my RT and would have a hard time justifying that expense. With that said I would look for a RT with cruise control, it is just not worth $1000. That is about 10,000 miles in FUEL! Ha ha.

Crackenback

If you're good with doing your own mods, a roosters electronic cruise can be fitted. Here is a write up. It should cost less than $300

DR how does one get the service bulletins if your not a BMW shop?

Morning PAS

Either have a friend that works in a BMW shop or be on very good terms with a BMW service shop, or both.

• 1 month later...

Archived