IGNORED

Black dust on rims

RTster

The main reasons I wanted a shaft driven bike were to avoid the hassles of constantly lubing the chain and cleaning the gunk off the rims. But looks like I have a different problem now.

After every 100 miles or so, the rims (mostly the rear one) gets coated with a thick layer of black dust. This is similar to the ones you see on the rims of German cars and therefore I am assuming it is brake pad dust. I have used BMW bikes with Brembo brakes in the past but never had this issue.

Is this a permanent thing with the RT model or does this happen only during the break-in period? (Done about 1500miles so far). Or is it RT WC specific issue?

If any of the experienced RT users can help?

I'm also interested in experiences other RT owners are having. This is my first RT and I wasn't happy to see how much black brake dust collects on the rear rim. I also have a Mini Cooper (BMW owned) and the wheels are always black with brake dust so I guess it is common for BMW products.

Yup, brake dust. A by-product of excellent stopping power.

+1

Just like the BMW cars, the wheels collect a lot of brake dust. There are some products which are supposed to help this issue but I just wipe mine down about once a week.

OzarkR1200RT

Yes! You should try owning a BMW or Mercedes. They produce a tremendous amount of dust. Pads are optimized for stopping power. Ever see a pit stop in Nascar or Indy? The dust literally pours off the rims.

The price we pay for performance.....

Yup, brake dust. A by-product of excellent stopping power.

Well, I didnt find the brakes exceptionally batter than most of the Japanese sport touring bikes or large adventure bikes and strangely none of them produce so much dust.

Guess this is also one of those things (among many other in my first RT) that I need to get used to. I have this thing about having clean wheels :/ Thankfully the dust can be easily cleaned off with a sponge and some clean water.

had the same issue on my 1150RT when the pad was too soft. I changed them to EBC based on recommendation from this board. The dust was dramatically cut, the pads are still soft, and stopping power is as good or better than factory. Give them a try. No affiliation I will do the same on my wethead when time to change

Black powder-coated wheels. And to be honest, dust shows on them too.

Pat

Your wheels look great Pat. I had flat black wheels on my RC51. They were perfect at hiding dirt.

Here's a fail-proof solution to avoid getting brake dust on your wheels.

(1) Detail the motorcycle perfectly.

(2) Drain all the fluids

(3) Park it in your living room and enjoy.

:)

Archived