IGNORED

NC time & distance question?

TEWKS

Could I ride from Little Switzerland down to the Cherohala Skyway then over to the Dragon and back to Little Switzerland in a reasonable day?

...Cashiers for lunch because, Glenn posted pictures. :thumbsup:

...Wayah road because, Glenn posted pictures. :grin:

...No Harley's this time. :P

Thanks for any info.

Pat

My neighbor and I rode from Winston-Salem to Deals Gap, had lunch, did the Dragon, Cherohala and part of the parkway and back to Winston-Salem. Left at 0800ish and got home at 2100ish.

So, Since you are already out that way starting at Little Switzerland, I would see it as no problem starting in the daylight and ending in the daylight.

BTW, we did this in the rain and the parkway and Cherohala was a whiteout from the low clouds. I couldn't see my neighbor's tailights, nor the road in front of me so all I could do was follow the yellow line on the side of me,.....thrilling ride.....look forward to doing it during good weather.

Glenn Reed

Okay, so I did a quick google maps of your projected route -

Pat_zps1d150607.jpg

Without even putting in the hour or so (and nine miles) to get up to the fire tower off of Wayah Road, the all knowing google says 10 hours and 435 miles.

You know your group, and what they consider a "reasonable" day, so you get to decide if this fits.

Best of luck, and we look forward to hearing about your trip. :lurk:

Thanks Richard! What we'd like to avoid is getting back after dark. May 27th or 28th at say, 8:00 PM?

Pat

Like Glenn said, the route will be 10+ hours or so.

If your route included 64 between Franklin and Highlands, than you may get a photo op here:

bridalveilfalls3.jpg

bridalveilfalls2.jpg

Let me know if the pics come out, I'm on my work computer and imageshack is blocked, so I pulled them off of an old thread.

Thank you Glenn, that's the picture I was looking for! :thumbsup: Like it or not, you all, are going to be, Gopro-ed when I get back! :rofl:

Pat

greiffster

Bring TyTass and you'll have plenty of time. Just leave your camera at home. "WATERFALL on you left!" :rofl:

:grin: Yeah, kinda got a similar reputation among my local riding buddies. "get your camera ready!" " but, but, we're doing sixty miles pre hour" :rofl:

Pat

Richard, I have a room at the Little Switzerland Inn on the 26th-28th of this month (thanks Matt & Shawn) and thinking the Cherohala attempt will be on Wed the 28th. Love to meet up if you get the time. :thumbsup:

Pat

Glenn Reed

The waterfall in Richard's picture (Bridal Veil I believe?) would be on your right going from Cashiers to Wayah, so much more convenient than it was for me, going the opposite direction. The waterfalls in my Ride Report were on my right going west to east on US 64, so much easier to pull over for.

Matts_12GS
Richard, I have a room at the Little Switzerland Inn on the 26th-28th of this month (thanks Matt & Shawn) and thinking the Cherohala attempt will be on Wed the 28th. Love to meet up if you get the time. :thumbsup:

Pat

Make sure you say Hello to Gary for us, he owns the joint!

Make sure you say Hello to Gary for us, he owns the joint!

I will for sure! :thumbsup: Gonna be a lot of Porsche Boxsters showing up at the Inn on Wednesday, guess they like curvy roads too. :grin:

Pat

I believe I do but have to look again. Love to stay a week and really explore but time is gonna be a little tight.

Thanks though! :thumbsup:

Pat

FYI: The DiamondBack (226A was riddled with tar snakes last summer. Matt and I rode it, both 2up, and it was ... well, excitin' and not all in that good way.

FYI: 19E through Burnsville is riddled with construction. Very, very slow going. Avoid by finding backroads around all that as much as possible. Crossing it can work, but try not to use it as a connector between good roads.

Bring TyTass and you'll have plenty of time. Just leave your camera at home. "WATERFALL on you left!" :rofl:
Mike,

Believe me, Pat rides fast enough to have time to get off his bike and take pictures! I would still be catching up to him. ;) I was just overzealous with how many miles we decided to ride, given our late start that day. But they were fantastics twisties, weren't they. Nearly every mile of it.

greiffster
But they were fantastics twisties, weren't they. Nearly every mile of it.

...still grinning. :thumbsup:

Matts_12GS
FYI: The DiamondBack (226A was riddled with tar snakes last summer. Matt and I rode it, both 2up, and it was ... well, excitin' and not all in that good way.

FYI: 19E through Burnsville is riddled with construction. Very, very slow going. Avoid by finding backroads around all that as much as possible. Crossing it can work, but try not to use it as a connector between good roads.

Yeah, that was pretty ugly going on parts of that.

Yeah, that was pretty ugly going on parts of that.

I did plan on touching 19 in that area while crossing on 197. Thanks for the update guys! :thumbsup:

Pat

Now 19W is AWESOME! Sweepers and a bit of tighters stull all along a river. Great Fun!

The 19 I'm talking about is 19E (just a big straight, divided highway) is under construction from just west of Bursville back east to somewhere east of where 80 crosses it.

BTW: 80 north of there is a ton of fun, as is 80 south of the BRP. 80 in between the two segments is and OK connector.

Thanks Craig, yes plan on taking 80 up towards Roan SP. Should be great and to be honest, I'm more looking forward to seeing the reactions on my buddies faces after that run. :thumbsup:

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Pat, have you got a route/date planned yet? Tuesday/Wednesday can be worked out on my end,....even Monday can be worked out.

That's great Richard! :thumbsup: I have both days mapped out, just not 100% on which route will be which day.

Route one will be down to Cashiers for BBQ and route two will be up to Roan Mt State Park and then to Linville Falls.

Leaning towards Cashiers on Tuesday and Roan Mt / Linville falls on Wednesday.

If ya PM me an email address, I'll see if I can send you the routes and a cell #.

Pat

Just over two weeks ago we were through there. We stayed at the Skyline Inn and they were repaving 226A. Should complete by now. 19 through Burnsville was still messed up.

That's great Richard! :thumbsup: I have both days mapped out, just not 100% on which route will be which day.

Route one will be down to Cashiers for BBQ and route two will be up to Roan Mt State Park and then to Linville Falls.

Leaning towards Cashiers on Tuesday and Roan Mt / Linville falls on Wednesday.

If ya PM me an email address, I'll see if I can send you the routes and a cell #.

Pat

I'ma thinking I'd like to do the Cashiers route,.....either way, I'll let you know as soon as I decide.

Sounds good, give me a ring on Monday and we'll try to figure out a meeting place. :thumbsup:

Pat

Did anyone make it up to 226A. I'd like to know if they finished the repave.

Yep, Pat and his crew did it and if I recall correctly, stated the paving was completed.

good news, thanks, When I ride up for the Fall outing, I hope to have enough time to venture up that way. When we were there in April we left heading south via 226 behind a big logging truck because of poor timing on my part. That's a pretty steep road with a big truck in front and a line of other vehicles behind, glad it was short. Here is a photo overloking 226A with part of the new pavement

imagejpg2_zps4bba441a.jpg

Yeah, it looked that way on their respective websites, but this one had a price I was willing to pay; and the room was nice, covered parking for my RT along with a couple goldwings and a quick jump to a pretty good place to eat with a great view. The owner cooked us breakfast and had some interesting stories about the history of the place, and he had a F-GS. We rode in spent the night, ate dinner up the road, had breakfast and left. I had plans for 226A coming in but the road work nixed that.

Matts_12GS
Yeah, it looked that way on their respective websites, but this one had a price I was willing to pay; and the room was nice, covered parking for my RT along with a couple goldwings and a quick jump to a pretty good place to eat with a great view. The owner cooked us breakfast and had some interesting stories about the history of the place, and he had a F-GS. We rode in spent the night, ate dinner up the road, had breakfast and left. I had plans for 226A coming in but the road work nixed that.

Yeah, we thought it should be called the "tar snake" instead of the diamondback during the UN rally last year... It was crappy

A lot of the best roads down in the Texas hill country, where I used to live had lots of snakes and in the Summer they could take all the fun out of a quick ride through the sisters. They were sweet when it was cooler and the snakes weren't slippery but the Summers were treacherous. When you caught one of the roads with new pavement,it was like being at the beach and good surf starts coming in ... get on the phone and call all your buds. Jungle drums ... after a few go rounds alone of course:)

Home tonight after a fairly miserable ride from Snowshoe WV. Actually wasn't bad till Danbury Ct. Traffic up the ... and then thunder and lighting with some major rain tossed in. That theme continued through Hartford and beyond.

Guess we had to pay the piper sometime for all the nice weather and beautiful riding we had.

Ps... As we were leaving Little Switzerland they were still paving in front of the Big Lynn Lodge on 226a. Not really the section you'd want to ride anyway. The other direction was all good! :thumbsup:

Pat

Very nice Richard! :thumbsup: Hey, you may have to check that Contour Camera. It appears we may have been running slightly over the posted speed limit on that road. :) Said it already but it was a pleasure meeting up and riding together. Hope to do it again someday. :thumbsup:

Pat

Archived