IGNORED

2014 R1200RT Service Manual

AlanS.

i just bought a 2014 R1200RT this weekend and it is great. This is my first BMW. Over the past 22 years I have mostly been on Hondas. Now that I have it I plan on doing most of the maintenance myself. I have ordered JVB's DVD but would also like to get the service manual and a wiring diagram. Anyone know the BMW parts number and/or where to get them?

Thanks,

Alan

Canuck1953

Hi Alan,

I don't have any of the info you requested but I'd appreciate your take on the DVD as I am thinking of purchasing it too.

I think that Rusty a manager at Max BMW (Rusty Gill, Parts Manager rusty@maxbmw.com) might have the info you require.

Regards,

Gordon

The wiring diagram will be of little use, as the system is CAN bus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus

A wiring diagram is still useful. It could be more useful if BMW would publish information about the operation of the computers on one end of those wires, but CANBUS is not VOODOO. All the electrical components outside of the black boxes will still respond to standard electrical troubleshooting techniques.

Unfortunately, BMW only provides the diagrams as a separate (expensive) DVD covering multiple models. Usually the Haynes book has a model specific diagram, but it may be a year or two before that becomes available.

Corvallis

BMW does not publish wiring diagrams, Been there, done that on the GTL. Even on their service DVD there was nothing. No color codes, nothing.

Guest Kakugo
That's not good...

Found the part numbers for the older CDs up to 2008, but nothing newer than that.

BMW used to supply a DVD (called WDS) up to 2007-8 which included wiring diagrams for both cars and bikes. This superseded the previous ETM (Electronic Troubleshooting Manual) which was model specific and included wiring diagrams.

I am aware of a Mini-specific WDS which covers models up to 2010 but nothing about bikes.

Thanks for the information. I have not had good luck with the local BMW parts guys as they are the same for Ducati parts. Usually I can find more information on the web than from those guys.

Things I have found out so far are that http://www.beemerboneyard.com/ sells a filter kit with filter wrench for a good price. The wrench is a Lisle 54760 which is a 76mm with 14 flutes.

Alan

Canuck1953

Hi Alan,

Here's what I found re: lisle tool (oil filter wrench):

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-61570-76mm-14-Flute-Wrench/dp/B00AKA6NUQ

All the prices in Canada are so expensive. The castrol oil for the bike that can be purchased in the US at Amazon for about $7 and change (/quart) can only be purchased with a BMW label for about $18(/quart).

Similarly the final drive oil that sells in the US for about $22/quart in the US sells in Canada for $38 plus taxes for the same quantity.

It makes me mad that not only can we not purchase castrol labelled motorcycle oil 4T racing 5W40 in Canada unless it's labelled BMW but that it's so much more expensive for exactly the same thing. Oh well.

For oil I will probably just use Shell Rotella T6 which is 5w-40. Easy to find and fairly cheap. I have used it in many bikes over the years without any problems. My F150 seems to use alittle of it between oil changes but not much.

Alan

Canuck1953

Hi Alan,

I thought that we had to use 5W40 JASO MA2 motorcycle oil as opposed to oil for cars ... any thoughts?

Rotella T6 is 5W40 API SL and JASO MA and other letters. The manual states 5W40 API SL / JASO MA2. While there are many opinions on oil I have had good luck with Rotella for the past ten years in cars, trucks, and motorcycles. From what I can tell the MA vs MA2 has to do with low phosphorous and sulfur to protect the cats.

Alan

Canuck1953

Thanks Alan for your research and the link!

I am going out this afternoon to see if I can find the shell oil and if I can, I'll be using it!

Many thanks!

Gordon

Mile Hound

On my 2014 R1200 RT Wet Head, if I change my oil rather than the dealer, how can I reset the service icon?

On my 2014 R1200 RT Wet Head, if I change my oil rather than the dealer, how can I reset the service icon?

As Alfed said not yet, you need to wait for the new GS911 http://www.hexcode.co.za/ I think they will sell a shit load.

Jay

Rotella T6 is 5W40 API SL and JASO MA and other letters. The manual states 5W40 API SL / JASO MA2. While there are many opinions on oil I have had good luck with Rotella for the past ten years in cars, trucks, and motorcycles. From what I can tell the MA vs MA2 has to do with low phosphorous and sulfur to protect the cats.

Alan

Alan,

Thanks. You just saved me a ton of "searching" and all that. I'll have to do an oil change out on the road later this month and I've seen that Rotella T6 stuff in a lot of places.

AD

Archived