IGNORED

3M Dual Lock Info

racer7

Anyone who has used 3M Dual Lock knows it has much more grip than Velcro. Velcro has a nasty habit of not doing well in wet conditions, for example, especially if the contact area is small or the item is a bit heavy. Here's the way to get the most out Dual Lock properties for many motorcycle uses.

The most common 3M Dual Lock suitable for motorcycle (outdoor) use is the 250 stems per sq. inch series, black with an acrylic (fast set to full tack) adhesive. This material has only 1 "side", unlike Velcro, and is mated to pieces of itself.

250 series provide excellent grip and can be used even to hang lighter items under a shelf, for example.

But there is a way to improve even its excellent grip substantially. That is to mate it to a 400 stems per sq in. type of Dual Lock. This material does not mate to itself but does mate to 250 series, maximizing the grip for an object.

I used the above to mount WarmNSafe remote controls under a self on my K1200GT and on top of the clutch lever housing on my F800GT. Also to mount radar detectors, etc

I purchase Dual Lock from ITapeStore in NJ. The items I use are SJ3551 (400 series) and SJ3550 (250 stems). Both are rated outdoor, high temp and moisture resistant.

• 2 months later...

Coincidentally, I just got some of the dual lock stuff. I went with the SJ3560 which is also 250 stems per sq in. I went with that because according to the description I saw, it had these features: "UV Resistent Indoor/Outdoor, high temp & humidity". the SJ3551 had "Indoor/Outdoor, high temp and humidity". I thought being exposed on the bike as it would, the UV resistance would be beneficial. I don't really know that, but that was my guess. The down side is that it is clear and I would rather have had the black. I didn't think to mate it to the 400 stems stuff, but think the 250 alone will do.

I also ordered from iTapeStore and their service is good. In order to save shipping, I ordered 2 yards of it ( http://www.itapestore.com/3mduallock-sj35601x1yard.aspx). They sent it with tracking and although the tracking said it was delivered, my post office screwed up and I didn't get it when it said I did. After arguing with the PO for many days, I sent some email to iTapeStore to see if they could track it on their side. They just replied they'd send me a replacement. I though that was very nice of them. It turned out that later the same day, 8 days after the PO said they delivered it, it showed up in my mail box. I sent another email to iTapeStore to let them know it came and that I would return the second package. Fortunately, it was still in their shipping room so it all worked out. Just thought I'd let people know about their service quality. (standard disclaimer: I have no affiliation with them at all.)

FWIW One thing not mentioned is the face that the duo lock requires two different surfaces. You shouldn't lock two pcs of 400 stems to 400 stems, should be 400-250 as an example. That coming from my 3M rep.

FWIW One thing not mentioned is the face that the duo lock requires two different surfaces. You shouldn't lock two pcs of 400 stems to 400 stems, should be 400-250 as an example. That coming from my 3M rep.

It seems to depend on which stem count goes with what. For the one I bought, a 250 stem count, it says it will mate with that plus: (from the iTapeStore site):

Stem Count: 250 - Mates to Types: 400, 250, 170

Archived