IGNORED

Oil filter change on 2014 R1200RT

Hoghead

Being a new BMW rider I need some information. When changing the oil filter on the 2014 R1200RT is it necessary to remove the black plastic piece that surrounds the left head that is also in front of the oil filter? Looks like there may be room but didn't try till I ask the experts. Thanks in advance!!

I'm not sure if I understand your question? The oil filter does have a ring that in the past for me comes off the filter and sticks to the engine, these needs to be removed before installing the new filter. Just check your old filter to see if the ring is missing if so that it...

Jay

I was talking about the black plastic piece that wraps around the left head which is part of the body. It is also in front of the oil filter. Also I can't find anywhere what size and type of fastener fits the oil drain plug.?.The ring that seals the oil filter is attached to the filter. It is not loose....Thanks

Yes you need to or maybe I should say, it would be much easier if you remove the plastic body panel. You need a T25 Torx bit for this. The drain plug is a 10mm hex socket.

Pat

Yes you need to or maybe I should say, it would be much easier if you remove the plastic body panel. You need a T25 Torx bit for this. The drain plug is a 10mm hex socket.

Pat

What Pat said. I'd also have some brake cleaner or something to clean up the exhaust pipes, they are going to get messy removing the oil filter.

You never want to use a torx bit in a hex socket you will mess it up bad and it does seem to fit. My rule is if in drought and you don't have a reference guide use a hex bit first it won't fit in a torx so if the hex doesn't fit it's a torx.

Jay

Thanks Jay and Pat. You both knew exactly what I was talking about. This is a 2014 and nothing in the owners manual so I need a service manual if they ever become available. I have been used to doing my own service on Harley's for the last 25 years so all this is new to me...Thanks Everyone....

Pat

You never want to use a torx bit in a hex socket you will mess it up bad and it does seem to fit. My rule is if in drought and you don't have a reference guide use a hex bit first it won't fit in a torx so if the hex doesn't fit it's a torx.

Jay

I think Pat meant the torx bit was needed for the body panel removal, not the drain plug. Anyway, even in an emergency a T25 would be too small to turn a 10mm hex.

Yes remove the lower black plastic. Try using aluminum foil over the pipes when draining the oil. This will not allow oil to get all over the pipes and engine cases.

Actually it is not necessary to remove the complete piece of plastic. Just take the one screw out down next to the oil filter and that will let the plastic piece be pulled back. Now the filter is not problem to get to....

Thanks Jay and Pat. You both knew exactly what I was talking about. This is a 2014 and nothing in the owners manual so I need a service manual if they ever become available. I have been used to doing my own service on Harley's for the last 25 years so all this is new to me...Thanks Everyone....

For general service work on your bike you may want to check this out:

JVB Productions Maintenance CD's

I've used Jim's CD's for years; good stuff! No affiliation.

Can I assume that my left over oil filters for the 2006 RT will also fit the new 2014 RT?

AD

I had spare filters for my 09 RT when I traded it in. The dealer swapped my old filters, crush washers, and spare parts for new ones. I can't say if the old ones would have fit or not but mine were a different part number.

• 2 weeks later...
Can I assume that my left over oil filters for the 2006 RT will also fit the new 2014 RT?

AD

And to answer the question, they are slightly different. Actually they are slightly larger and have a different part number.

Of course now it's about the size of the M-102 filter was running on the 2006 RT.

I'm sure that eventually someone will come up with the exact "cross reference" for the BMW oil filter. Should be the same as the 1200GSw.

AD

Does anyone know how to reset the service message after changing the oil?

Had 600 mile service yesterday and the tech indicated this must be done by connecting to the computer at a cost of $45.00. Today I pulled the battery to install a pigtail for changing and the service light is now on. Should have installed the pigtail before it went in for service!

It's got nothing to do with your pigtail and no..you can't reset the service.

If you had the 1st service done by a BMW dealer, then resetting the service is part of it. They should not charge extra.

If they are, you might want to contact BMW and inform them of this dealer's customer service.

Didn't notice the service light after the dealer performed 600 mile check, safe to assume they reset as part of the service included in the $300 cost. The light appeared the next day after disconnecting the battery to install the pigtail. Not certain why? Hooking up to the computer may tell the story...slave to the machine?

Does anyone know how to reset the service message after changing the oil?

Had 600 mile service yesterday and the tech indicated this must be done by connecting to the computer at a cost of $45.00. Today I pulled the battery to install a pigtail for changing and the service light is now on. Should have installed the pigtail before it went in for service!

I done my first service at 582 miles and now I have 956 and still no light.....guess that's good for me because my closest Dealer is 100 miles.....

I had the 600 mile service done at the dealer on my new water cooled RT and they used the same filter as on my old 2005 RT, part 11-42-7-673-541. I didn't realize it until I started thinking about my next oil change and had a filter left from the old bike. Asked the service department about it and they asked if it leaked, answer is no, so they said it is good. I may just buy a new one for the next oil change.

Just finished up an oil/filter change out on the road and it's pretty straight forward.

No need to remove the left plastic, just loosen the screw and it will pull away with more than enough room to remove/replace the oil filter.

The sump drains straight down and oil filter will leave some oil on the exhaust pipe that can be wiped down when you're finished.

I think it's easier on this bike than my old 2006.

The filter is slightly longer than the one on the old 2006RT but it would appear that the fittings are the same.

AD

Just finished up an oil/filter change out on the road and it's pretty straight forward.

No need to remove the left plastic, just loosen the screw and it will pull away with more than enough room to remove/replace the oil filter.

The sump drains straight down and oil filter will leave some oil on the exhaust pipe that can be wiped down when you're finished.

I think it's easier on this bike than my old 2006.

The filter is slightly longer than the one on the old 2006RT but it would appear that the fittings are the same.

AD

I used a piece of aluminum foil to direct the used oil from the filter into the container. It works well but I will likely develop a permanent solution. I do miss the vertical filter on the 09RT.

• 1 year later...

If you are doing a 12,000 service that involves the air filter why not just take off all the tupperware (Its only a bunch of Torx screws) and do the job properly? Many of the service items are "inspection" you can't see much with all the plastic in place...

Geoff

Archived