IGNORED

Parasitic voltage drain

99rtRon

my stock 99rt has started a nasty habit of very slowly leaking voltage from the one year old Odyssey battery. I have isolated the battery and charged it back to 12.8 and it holds the voltage so something is amiss in my electrical system. This weekend I plan to reinstall the battery, and use my multimeter as an ammeter across the negative post and just pull the fuses one by one until I can isolate the faulty circuit. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was your culprit? Thanks.

Evening Ron

If your bike has a Kisan Signal Minder start with that. Those are noted for having a parasitic draw due to having a keep alive circuit for the emergency flashers.

Otherwise look for any (non OEM) added circuits or relays or something like green oxide in the accessory sockets.

Just see what fuse or circuit is pulling the most with key off.

Be careful using your multi-meter as those are usually limited in amperage capacity so key-on with lights on or other accessories could blow an internal fuse or even ruin a meter that has poor internal protection. Start with a 12v test light between cable & battery post & if the bulb lights brightly you have a big draw. Small glow = smaller draw.

Added: I don't have the patristic draw specs on the 1100RT but the 1150RT is 2.6mA (key off)

Archived