IGNORED

Cleaning exhaust and muffler

Haynes

I recently took a long trip in heavy rain. The road scum covered almost all if the bike; the worst of it being baked onto the exhaust header and muffler.

I experimented with basic cleaners and found nothing to remove the hardened dirt.

I decided to try something stronger so I removed the complete exhaust system and sprayed it with oven cleaner. After half an hour I used an cheap paint-brush to lightly massage the dirt away. A quick rinse with water produced an amazing result with abrasion - all for $2.85.

JerryMather

I use WD40, as a solvent it breaks down the road tar stuff and wipes clean. It doesn't polish up the metal but it will clean it up. I may have to let it sit awhile but it always seems to break up the stuff even beiing cooked on for days.

I use WD40, as a solvent it breaks down the road tar stuff....

And when that doesn't work, brake parts cleaner or gasoline. Harsh but it will get the crap off.

lawnchairboy

I like to check the reflection of my bald spot and my extra-grande decaf-shaken-Madagascar cinnamon iced goat milk latte' in the exhaust. I spilled some on my whale foreskin adventure suit, I think it is ruined.

I like to check the reflection of my bald spot and my extra-grande decaf-shaken-Madagascar cinnamon iced goat milk latte' in the exhaust. I spilled some on my whale foreskin adventure suit, I think it is ruined.

Hijack: Chris, ping me as Hein Gericke now makes a cleaner for that material.

JerryMather
It's a GS. WHO CARES? Unless you're worried about the Starschmucks crowd. :grin:

:thumbsup:

With all the GS's I see around here, I've wonder just how many folks actually take them off road? It kind of reminds me of all the Jeep's that are out there & have never been or ever will be taken to a dirt road.

At least to ones in Los Angeles won't.

• 2 months later...

i've used metal polish and a lot of elbow grease. the heavily oxidized surface is embedded deep in the chrome finish. takes a while.

Archived