IGNORED

Liquid Cooled Fan 2014 R1200RT

bmwdavid

My new bike will be in next week and I have one reservation. When I owned a 2008 Honda Goldwing it would blow hot air on me every time the fans kicked on. Has anyone ridden the new RT in hot weather? Does the fan blow heat on the rider?

No, it blows straight out to the side in my experience. The only heat I have felt so far is on the boots and it wasn't much.

NB

No heat at 30 degree Celsius.

I wonder if I could blow any hot air onto my legs once winter strikes with a vengeance here...

Warmest day since I have had has been 20C so no fan on yet, coldest 3.8C this morning can't say I have felt and heat off the engine yet...

Teddy

I live in Florida and have heard the fan come on a few times. I think the fan is only on one side (the right I think) and haven't felt any heat as a result. This bike is amazing!!

You won't feel the blowing from the fan. It's quiet too. But I found the fan kicking in quite early in stop-and-go traffic compared to BMW parallel twins. The temp level goes beyond the half way point quickly when in slow traffic. I guess it's because only 35% of the cooling is done with water? Or it could be because the bike is still breaking-in?

Has anyone else noticed this?

The temp level goes beyond the half way point quickly when in slow traffic. I guess it's because only 35% of the cooling is done with water? Or it could be because the bike is still breaking-in?

Has anyone else noticed this?

I questioned a fellow 14RT owner about this the other day since I noticed mine fluctuates between five and six bars on the coolant temp scale even at 55mph. I wonder if the GS owners see the same temps.

Us GSW owners can get a continuous readout in degrees when you select that display option on the dash.

My bike used to fluctuate between 179F and 190F while droning at 70mph. This would cycle from low to high and back fairly quickly.... about 1 degree F per second.

After I did the software update for the LED turn signals the fluctuations have stopped. (This required a complete wipe and reload for some reason.)

Most days it reads 184 - 186F at 70mph at 75F ambient.

When stopped at a long traffic light the temp often goes up until the fan kicks in. Never felt any hot air on the right leg from the fan.

Just for interest, the fan on my GS cuts in at 100C and cuts out at 95C. It takes a very short time to drop the temperature back.

Just for interest, the fan on my GS cuts in at 100C and cuts out at 95C. It takes a very short time to drop the temperature back.

So you finally sold the RT and bought a GS hey Keith?

You would hope BMW tested the cooling system in hot as well as cold weather. We only have a temp gauge on our RT's and I have only seen 6 bars on the dash whilst stuck in traffic. We will see when the temp hits 40C next summer and I reckon the rider will give up before the bike does.

Teddy

Teddy

Yes Teddy, my R1150RT and my R1150GS are both gone. I now only have my R1200GS (LC) and enjoying the extra space in the garage.

You would hope BMW tested the cooling system in hot as well as cold weather. We only have a temp gauge on our RT's and I have only seen 6 bars on the dash whilst stuck in traffic. We will see when the temp hits 40C next summer and I reckon the rider will give up before the bike does.

Teddy

I meet a WetHead GS rider at the Branson Blitz this weekend, he tells me that he can see the temp but doesn’t have bars like the RT. He learned from the dealer that at 183 degrees (I think that was the magic number) the thermostat opens dropping the bike back down. I believe this is true on the RT it doesn’t stay on 6 bars much time.

Jay

Having monitored the new bike's temperatures here in south Florida since getting the bike in February, it would appear that the normal temp on the gauge is "5 bar" with it moving to six every now and then. At 7 bars my fan comes on and drops the temp back to six where the fan turns off again.

I have NOT had it go above 7 bars yet and I've been stuck in some awful Miami interstate traffic a few times.

The cooling system appears to work as advertised!

AD

Last weekend in Houston Temps in the afternoon were 88. We are still in early spring. I got stuck in stop and go traffic. Made it about 2 miles in 45 minutes. When I stopped I had 5 bars. After all the sitting and first gear crawling, it never went above 6 bars. My oil head would have been near the top of the bars...

• 1 month later...
Last weekend in Houston Temps in the afternoon were 88. We are still in early spring. I got stuck in stop and go traffic. Made it about 2 miles in 45 minutes. When I stopped I had 5 bars. After all the sitting and first gear crawling, it never went above 6 bars. My oil head would have been near the top of the bars...

Skywagon,

Funny you should mention Houston's horrible traffic problem! I got stuck in that myself last week headed to west Texas! What a nightmare!

55 minutes of holding the clutch and moving at 1 mph. The cooling fan came on and off (mostly on) but the temp indicator never went above 7 bars and it was very hot out there.

How do they deal with that traffic every day!!!

AD (back at home)

Archived