IGNORED

2014 R1200RT Test Ride

bmwdavid

Hi

Even though I have my deposit down and my bike is due any day I took advantage of a test ride offered by Max BMW in south Windsor CT. Unfortunately I was not familiar with the area and wasn't able to take it on the highway and the roads weren't very twisty. Here is what I observed from the short ride.

The bike with the standard seat in the lowest position was very easy to reach the ground at stops where my 2009 was not. I did observe the windshield vibration that others mentioned but it was mostly at idle and didn't bother me. The exhaust note is louder than the 09 but don't think that will bother me. The transmission was extremely smooth, liked it very much. It seemed very quick, not K1600GT quick but quick for a RT. Suspension seemed pretty smooth over bumps and it seemed to handle very well. The brakes stopped on a dime.

There were only a few things that I wasn't sure about. It seemed that when taking off from a stop in first gear I thought I kept hearing what I thought was a slight pinging sound from the motor(maybe I was hearing things). Second thing was it seemed a bit noisier behind the screen at 70-80 mph. Last thing is when I brought the bike back to the dealer and it was sitting there idling the fans kicked on and off a bunch of times. Has anyone ridden the bike in any kind of heat and does it put any kind of heat on the rider?

"It seemed that when taking off from a stop in first gear I thought I kept hearing what I thought was a slight pinging sound"

I most definitely get that on my new RT too. I've read the threads on this but seems to me it is a characteristic of the model. Sure would like to know precisely what it is though.

So you heard this on your demo, how about your newly delivered RT?

Thanks.

Dan

"It seemed that when taking off from a stop in first gear I thought I kept hearing what I thought was a slight pinging sound"

I most definitely get that on my new RT too. I've read the threads on this but seems to me it is a characteristic of the model. Sure would like to know precisely what it is though.

So you heard this on your demo, how about your newly delivered RT?

Thanks.

Dan

Yes mine has that characteristic metallic rasp coming from the engine at very low revs, I now have over 1000kms up now and it is still the same, I run 98 octane fuel so doubt it pinging.

The demo did it as well so guess it is mechanical noise that the new RT has.

I have no idea of the source would be nice to know though.

Teddy

Same and I am running 98RON, Caltex Vortex fuel.

Sometimes I will except 95RON but nothing below that.

So, seems to be fairly normal.

Archived