IGNORED

Highest mileage on a RT...without major problems

Pier

Hello all,

I would like to know what is the highest mileage to expect from a R1150RT without major problems.

I'm fairly new on this board because I recently purchased a 2004 RT in like new conditions. I have had numerous bikes before including BMWs but mostly Hondas.

Since I joined this forum I found rather unusual to read how many RTs have some sort of problem even at low mileage, less than 20K let's say. It seems to me that the clutch and transmission can be problematic on these bikes.

The interesting part is that I often browse sites from different brands of motorcycle clubs ( I also have a Valkyrie Interstate ) but I don't read about so many problems as on this site. I'm a little concern about it and I'm wondering if the RT is indeed one of the most reliable touring bikes out there or if some of us just the idea of owning a Bemmer.

I would be very curios to know what is the percentage of RTs that have reached over 80K miles, and what major problems have occurred over the years.

I'm starting to enjoy the bike more every time I ride it, but I would be very disappointed finding myself stranted in the middle of no where because of a clutch or a transmission failure.

I ride very long distances and the main reason why I choosed a the RT ( beside because of its looks ) was because I thought it would be bullet proof. I rode my previous Valkyrie for 40K and my current one for 18K without a single problem with either one of them.

Thank you for your comments.

Pier

I ride very long distances and the main reason why I choosed a the RT ( beside because of its looks ) was because I thought it would be bullet proof. I rode my previous Valkyrie for 40K and my current one for 18K without a single problem with either one of them.
So you didnt ride those bikes much then - which ones have you been riding very long distances? grin.gif

My 02 1150RT made it to 96K without major problems, then it destroyed the transmission, it has always chewed up alternator belts though.

70K miles before my input shaft left me stranded by the side of the highway. Other than that, no problems in the 85K miles I've ridden my RT.

This should get interesting. I picked up an 04 RT last year and have 15,000 mi now. Love the bike. However, reading too many spline failures on young bikes for my comfort. Growing 'noid. confused.gif

86,000 before FD failure, nothing since and now at 101,000 miles and rolling. thumbsup.gif

(Oh, and I'm ahead of Bob "Killer" Palin, too! tongue.gif )

First off, let me say I'm relatively new to this site as well and participate rather one-sidedly by gleaning knowledge and tidbits from other owners (read: I don't post much).

That said, this part of the site, IMHO is not for us to get together and celebrate how wonderful our last ride was, or how great these machines are: it is for helping each other with problems, concerns, modifications, etc. we want or need to perform on our bikes. You will not see posts in this section, for example, saying something like, "I took the bike to work today and nothing bad happened....It was geat!" Therefore, by definition, you will see more bad news then good in this part of the site.

I ride my bike year-round and take one big trip per year. In my experience, the folks that put some serious mileage on their bikes prefer BMWs or Goldwings depending on taste. Point being, these bikes get ridden long and very hard a lot of the time compared to other makes out there, myself included.

I have somewhere around 60K on my '96 (not all my miles) and there have been no "major" issues whatsoever. Not to say there haven't been issues, but this bike does all I want and much much more. Are some model years better than others? Maybe. Are some bikes trouble from the get-go? Perhaps. Are these the predominant stories you read about on this board. Without a doubt.

Don't fret. You most likely have a wonderful machine that only gets better over time, and you will come to enjoy it more and more every time you swing your leg over that saddle.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I would be very curios to know what is the percentage of RTs that have reached over 80K miles, and what major problems have occurred over the years.

So would I, but I don't think anyone has that data.

FWIW, I got to 85K before my final drive melted down. 110K total now, no other significant problems.

russell_bynum

76K on my 2000. Final drive failed at 28K. Clutch went just before 50K (not its fault...I went 18K without knowing about the free-play adjustment and not knowing that you shouldn't slip the clutch like you do on a Japanese bike).

Other than that, nothing worth mentioning has gone wrong.

I drove my bike to work (because it'd be too hard to push it there) and back today, w/o any problems, It was great!! Computer said I got 56 MPG too!! thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

Pat

71K on a '96 RT (my wife's bike now), never had a major problem. I did replace the clutch during a spline lube last summer because it only had another 30K or so of remaining life.

69.5K on an '02 RT (my bike), never had a major problem. I'm about to replace the final drive crown gear seal, it's weeping a little. It's possible that I will also replace the crown bearing depending on what I see once it's opened up. This bearing is essentially the rear wheel bearing on a BMW and I consider 70K a reasonable life for it.

Both of these bikes run as good or better now as they did when new. I fully expect them to continue to do so for a long time to come.

Stan

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

87K on my `99 RT. FD at 75K, new clutch at ~85K, still working the original rear brake pads. thumbsup.gif

Ride it every day commuting in an urban environment...2/3 rain, 1/3 shine. grin.gif

I went 92000 before HAL failure, now at 117000(?) and going strong. That has been the only problem. Wife's went 93000 before she destroyed it, with no problems.

97 rt 117k one clutch still going as good as the day it was made, My own opinion is that most people only write about funerals and occasionally we get to hear about a few weddings. With regular maintenance and correct riding you will have many trouble free miles.

BEST BIKE I HAVE EVER OWNED thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

50K and ... yes ... I needed new front brake pads at 42K! Nothing else so far except normal maintenance, oil, and tire$.

Ditto on my 2003 RT. thumbsup.gif

you seem to be extremely nervous about your RT. your previous posts have indicated that as well. FYI-i've got 18,000mi on my 2004 RT with no problems. doesn't even use oil anymore. i only ride sundays for the most part so my rides are fairly long. i've taken about 4 decent trips as well. just ride it and quit worrying. do the required maintenance and learn from our mistakes.

Brian,

I bought the RT with the intention of replacing a '00 Valkyrie Interstate because the valk is kind of too big and it has been discountinued in 2001, so finding parts could be an issue later on.

I choosed the RT because it looks nice and I thought it to be a very reliable tourer. At first I wasn't too happy with the vibes of the twin engine ( coming from a six cylinders ) but I'm getting used to it.

Reading all these post about problems with the RT made me re-thinking about my plan of swapping bikes. I need to sell one bike soon ( I also have a 2003 K1200RS ) and I'm not too sure anymore that getting rid of the Valk is the best move for me because I still love the bike and it has never given me a problem. So,this is my dilemma. I have to choose between divorcing one that always treated me well to marry another one that I still don't know her. I only know she is beautiful!

I also thought about selling the KRS but I really enjoy flying this bike.

So, now you may understand why I'm asking so many questions about the RT. I want to make the right decision.

Thank you for listening.

Pier

Dewayne Harkov

I sold my 1998 RT last May with 114k miles on it with no major problems, thumbsup.gif but did have the neutral switch and paralever bearings changed at 92k UNDER warranty. I now have a 99 RT that I bought with 15k on it and now have 35k and no problems. clap.gif

Brian,

I bought the RT with the intention of replacing a '00 Valkyrie Interstate because the valk is kind of too big and it has been discountinued in 2001, so finding parts could be an issue later on.

I choosed the RT because it looks nice and I thought it to be a very reliable tourer. At first I wasn't too happy with the vibes of the twin engine ( coming from a six cylinders ) but I'm getting used to it.

Reading all these post about problems with the RT made me re-thinking about my plan of swapping bikes. I need to sell one bike soon ( I also have a 2003 K1200RS ) and I'm not too sure anymore that getting rid of the Valk is the best move for me because I still love the bike and it has never given me a problem. So,this is my dilemma. I have to choose between divorcing one that always treated me well to marry another one that I still don't know her. I only know she is beautiful!

I also thought about selling the KRS but I really enjoy flying this bike.

So, now you may understand why I'm asking so many questions about the RT. I want to make the right decision.

Thank you for listening.

Pier

tough decision. good luck.

"Wife's went 93000 before she destroyed it, with no problems. "

Wow! That must be one tough lady! eek.gif

Yep, she rolled it twice at 60 plus MPH, and I don't mean on the wheels! The really sad thing is the next day at the boneyard the smashed scoot started right up and ran fine. Hated losing it.

Do RS's count? My 95 has 88 k on it with no major problems except when I layed it down at 55 mph 10k ago. I have a friend with a 94 RS that has 235k on it. He had the transmission "renewed", there were some upgrades to the old trannies that BMW recommended. Oh yeah, previous owner did that for my bike too. Not sure how much BMW paid out of warranty on either one.

Remember that a lot of people show up here BECAUSE they need help with their bike so the happy masses riding blissfully along may never visit this site. Don't think statistics from here represent BMW reliability accurately.

--Jerry

Pier: my blood is blue and white, but i have to say that worrying about problems with that valk or getting parts is probably overblown. the 04 if the highest expression of the oilhead art. it is a shame that there was only one year of it. this is my 3rd beemer and you are no newbe either, so i would say, first and foremost, ride it the way it was built to be ridden. do not baby it, rev it up, but don't red line it. take off briskly, but don't try to burn rubber. accelerate strongly and shift positively, but not rashly. mine have all been treated this way and have all run very well with little or no big problems.

1st was an 84 r100rs - clutch at 70,000, was slipping a little when i bought it at 60,000, adjustment kept it going. head bearings at 75,000. that was all, sold at 90,000 for 1,000 less than purchase price 3 years earlier.

2nd - 97 r1100rs, bought at 25,000 sold at 50,000, no issues at all.

3rd 04 r1150rt - 22,500 and counting. one small seal and windscreen motor (likely my fault for raising and lowering the barn door bailey screen at high speed) both under warr.

i consider these performances very good, i do most of my own maint.

good luck.

tom collins

John Bellantonio

My '02 RT has 107K miles without any significant problems. I replaced the brake pads at 58K

miles, throttle cables at 67K and the clutch/spline lube at 83K miles. All this was done as preventive maintenence with plenty of life left in those components. I am about to put a set of Ohlins on to replace the orig. boingers. I go thru tires rather quickly but thats the price I pay for some excellent riding.

Pier, you sure worry a lot grin.gifgrin.gif

First it vibrated too much and wasn't comfortable, then you worried about a clutch issue, then changing seats and now maybe its not going to last forever ...

For what its worth 57.4 K on my '99RT. No problems, just normal maintenance. Just ride it or sell it and move on thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum
This may be a slight hijack but, I wonder if any other brand bike comes close to having the average milage put on them as BMW's.

Judging by what I see on the odometers of used BMW's on showroom floors, on eBay, etc...I don't think the average is that much different than any other brand.

67,000 miles and only a broken clutch cable.

Ditto. 75,000 miles and only a worn out clutch cable (I noticed it before it broke and Russell gave me his spare).

I currently have 97k on my 1997 R1100RT. The only thing that has ever failed while in use was the clutch cable. I had a spare pre routed, so I was on the side of the road for maybe 20 minutes. I do currently have the transmission and rear drive out for rebuild, but neither failed before removal. The transmission/clutch splines are in excellent condition. I am replacing the clutch at the same time. It is right at minimum thickness. I expect to get another 100k or so before my next driveline rebuild.

FWIW, I got to 85K before my final drive melted down. 110K total now, no other significant problems.

I have 6K on my '99 RT...expect to replace the clutch in 2068 and rebuild the final drive around 2093. clap.gif

97 rt 117k one clutch still going as good as the day it was made, My own opinion is that most people only write about funerals and occasionally we get to hear about a few weddings. With regular maintenance and correct riding you will have many trouble free miles.

Weddings are always good thumbsup.gif

It's the marriages that screw up some people's lives dopeslap.gif

Weddings are always good thumbsup.gif

It's the marriages that screw up some people's lives dopeslap.gif

And when your BMW strands you on your 25th wedding anniversary trip as mine did to me it is possible that the happy marriage can turn into a sorry funeral for someone frown.gifcrazy.gif

30k on my 02 RT. Did the spline lube at 20 k after finding this site and seeing all of the "Spline Issues". The spline's looked fine but dry.

As others have mentioned people come to this site when they have problems or questions and need help. So of coarse you will see all of the problems.

For me I had to learn how to do an oil change on this bike. I could not find the filter! blush.gif

From that to a spline lube. thumbsup.gif It has been a great trip and a better bike. Lot's of fun and it eats up the milage when you get the chance to go on a long trip. Only problem I have is finding the time!

Archived