IGNORED

2011 Camhead Compared to 2014 Wethead

Camhead

So, I finally got a test ride of the new 2014 R1200RT. Mortons BMW had their open house yesterday and I was there first thing to sign up for the ride. It was a 27 mile loop that included divided highway, and twisty roads -- a good sample, but of course I would have preferred a 600 mile test ride.

This post will compare the wet head to my well-farkled 2011 cam head, blow by blow. I doing it to convince myself that I don't need this new wet head (yep, lots of luck with that buddy).

Engine. I rode the wet head, then got back on my cam head for the ride home. Seems I noticed the cam head had a lot more vibration than I was aware of before riding the wet head. Knew I should have stayed off that wet head. Power is up a little on the wet head as well. Torque: seemed like I could lug the wet head way down in the rev rang. Also the upper range was so smooth. In fact I was running in 4th and 5th much of the time not realizing I should upshift. Engine definitely goes to the wet head, but is it 50% better cause that's what's it's going to cost to upgrade.

Handling. The feedback from the front end is in fact better in my opinion on the wet head than the cam head (that's what I've read elsewhere and this test ride confirmed that fact for me). I felt as if I could feel the road surface a little better from the front end of the wet head. My cam head has Ohlins suspension custom built for me, so I wasn't expecting the wet head to be much of an improvement in the handling department. I was wrong. The adaptive suspension is outstanding. I made a point of riding over manhole covers etc. I really liked the handling of the wet head in the twisty bits. Did a little sling-shotting in the group of riders so I could get up to speed through the corners. I love the way this wet head corners. If there is one reason to upgrade for me, that's it.

Low-Speed Handling. Yea, I know I just talked about handling, but the low speed handling deserves some mention by itself. After I got off the wet head I immediately got on my cam head to get a quick back-to-back comparison. First thing I noticed is how much better the low speed handling is on the wet head, and how much easier it is to get your feet planted under the bike as you stop.

Sound. No, not the radio (the radio is fine by the way, I didn't notice any really big improvement in that department). I have an obsession with how motorcycles should sound (that's why I'll always keep an airhead around). The wet head has a slightly different exhaust note which I really liked, especially on trailing throttle. I would enjoy listening to this music on a long trip.

Wind Protection. Riding home on the cam head, it seemed as through the wet head allowed less buffeting type air around the shoulders than the cam head. Jury is still out on this one though, it will require a longer test ride.

Seat. I have a Corbin on my cam head. A 27 mile loop doesn't tell the story, but based on how spongy the foam felt on the wet head (typical BWM seat quality), I'm pretty sure if I have a wet head in my future the first thing it will require is a $500 Corbin.

Pegs. Both my cam head and the wet head are about the same height off the ground as the Ohlins I have on have on the cam head have lowered my bike somewhat. But, still it seemed easier to get my feet on the ground with the wet head because the wet head pegs seemed slightly re-positioned so that they don't hit your shins when putting your feet down.

Highway Pegs. I have Illium highway pegs on the Camhead and would need them on the wet head to go the distance (bad knees). I talked with the Illium guys and they are working on highway pegs for the wet head now, but it will require a whole crash bar set up for the wet head as compared to what they have for the cam head. That will likely cost a little more. So, here's one good reason to keep the cam head, I have it farkled just right for comfort (Corbin and Illium highway pegs). I would hate to start over again with that expensive process.

Overall. I'm quite smitten with this new Wet Head. Looks very likely I'll need to sell my very nicely farkled 2011 Cam Head (with 25K on it) plus a couple of nice airheads (92 R100R, 77 Slash 7) to get the dough. Hate to start all over with the farkels. That is one big bite of the new wet head, most of the seats, pegs, ect. can't be moved over to the new bike.

A similar experience to mine; however resistance was futile. Didn't even make it back home with my 2011 RT. As the miles accumulate the grin just gets bigger.

One major thing I noticed was throttle response much better on the wethead due to the electronic throttle compared to the cable setup on the camhead. I was able to change the different modes from rain to road to dynamic as well which also changed the throttle response.

The engine was definitely more eager to rev as well on the wethead not unlike some Japanese fuel injected bikes I have owned, in fact my overall impression was very positive compared to my current camhead.

The new hydraulic clutch action was a lot lighter too compared to the clutch on my camhead. I guess this might change as the clutch wears though.

Just my thoughts that I remember from my test ride last week.

Teddy

Haven't been on the new bike yet, but reading about it indicates a lower seating position than prior model. This alone might account for improved low speed handling and maybe even better wind protection.

Comments on lower seating position?

Haven't been on the new bike yet, but reading about it indicates a lower seating position than prior model. This alone might account for improved low speed handling and maybe even better wind protection.

Hey well I am a short arse (5ft 7in or 170cm) and Yes it is lower. I used to have a low seat on my 2010 camhead and with built up boots I could manage Ok. Now with the standard seat and the same boots I can manage the wethead, I do plan on getting the low seat for my new beast but it's not critical as I am coping fine. Then again not sure how long before it gets in stock anyway perhaps May?

Steering is slightly quicker, body movements translate into changes in cornering quite easily now, stability is top notch so far even over some really rough stuff.

Certainly more sporty than the outgoing model..

Teddy

I can add a perspective on this. After a couple of weeks with the standard seat in the high position my knees couldn't take it any longer with my 34+ inseam. I now have a custom saddle that most here on this board would need a step stool to mount, I'm in heaven. This new height has not diminished the slow speed handling characteristics or weather protection of the bike for me. However, I am a fairly light rider for my size so this may skew the results.

My take on it is that the seat height is a little lower, but I believe the bike overall must also have a lower center of gravity that makes the handling better. Also, with a new frame I believe BMW must have made some significant changes to how it all works together.

fourteenfour

In regards to sound, how does the engine sound - not the exhaust. Never had the cam head but always loved the purr of the twins and was wondering water cooling muted or changed it

Don't get distracted by the term 'Water Cooling'. The engine sounds really similar to previous ones. The water cooling is really localised into a VERY small area around the valve gear and spark plug, other than that the bike is oil and air cooled as before. The internals of the engine are VERY different in terms of Clutch and internal mechanics involving shaft in shaft translation of movement but the overall sound of the engine is as familiar as ever.

Don't get distracted by the term 'Water Cooling'. The engine sounds really similar to previous ones. The water cooling is really localised into a VERY small area around the valve gear and spark plug, other than that the bike is oil and air cooled as before. The internals of the engine are VERY different in terms of Clutch and internal mechanics involving shaft in shaft translation of movement but the overall sound of the engine is as familiar as ever.

+1

It is still a boxer. It is still a twin opposing engine, as it has always been.

If anything, it now has a bit of a "growl" under hard acceleration, which some of us like while there are others who had a test ride, seem to think that it makes the engine sound "loud".

Like everything else in life: You either like it/hate it/ or it makes no difference to you at all.

If anything, it now has a bit of a "growl" under hard acceleration, which some of us like while there are others who had a test ride, seem to think that it makes the engine sound "loud".

Tactfully handled there Alfred!

yellowledbetter

I just left my deposit for a wet head last weekend, upgrading from my 2007 hex head. Only six short (tortuous) weeks to wait.

Archived