IGNORED

2014 RT Questions

tlc

I just came to terms with my dealer today to trade my '08 RT for a '14 model, and I have some questions: 1) what RAM mounts will fit the '14? I need to mount a radar detector and a SPOT, and I have not yet determined how to mount them. 2) will the BMW sound system play through my Schuberth C3 communication system? I would like to listen to music through the helmet, without having a radio blasting away! 3) is the Shift Assist worthwhile. The bike I ordered doesn't have it, but I understand it can be fitted (for about $700!).

not sure about the ram mount, but it looks like one of those mounts that goes on top of the clutch or brake resevoir would work fine. I don't have one so don't know.

The audio system is designed to work with the Schuberth and the BMW system that attaches to the helmet.. I can't get it to work through my Sena SMH 10 the way it should..That is a real PIA. I have a complaint out to BMWNA and we have had some contact about downloading a standard bluetooth interface, but haven't solved yet. I think the unit is Alpine or Pioneer. I may write those mfg and ask if they can help.

For the shift assist...I love it, makes it really nice when you are getting on the freeway in a hurry and having to look over your shoulder. Not sure I would pay 700, but there was no option on the first few, it came with it. My favorite gizzmo is the hill assist.

will the BMW sound system play through my Schuberth C3 communication system?

Yes but you may not have volume control via the handlebar wheel.

is the Shift Assist worthwhile. The bike I ordered doesn't have it, but I understand it can be fitted (for about $700!)

I probably wouldn't spend seven hundred on it even know I did. :/ Neat toy but unless you have the throttle pinned to the stops, it's not that smooth.

Pat

I'm looking for a couple of RAM mounts myself. I'd rather not have them attached to the reservoirs but I needs my gadgets!

When you turn the Bluetooth on, it turns the speakers off. I think you are golden with the Schberth system.

Shift assist, meh. I have to remember to use it. I wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

I mounted my V1 using RAM-B-309-1U it mounts to the Brake/Clutch. I don't like the one that mount to the top of the Brake/Clutch reservoir.

I don’t remember the Pro Shift costing $700 as a factory installation; I think it’s more like $400. They sell it as a package so you get other goodies. You should ask the dealer. I really like it and use it all the time now, both up/down shift.

Jay

I can't get it to work through my Sena SMH 10 the way it should..That is a real PIA.

No problem with my setup, works well, except having no volume control from the bike handlebar wheel.

Paired mine this way

Phone to Nav

Nav to Bike

Sena to Nav

Sena to Bike

Pat

Tewks.... do you also have the new BMW Nav V....I have had virtually no luck. I use bluetooth all the time on other bike, cars, etc so not new to syncing, but can not get the bmw radio system through sena at all, can occasionally get music on the nav v to work on sena, but then can't get gps... very weird. Very frustrating BMW decided they needed propietary system. Works great on my old Zumo 550...

What helmet are you using Pat? Is the shubet the only helmet that the volume could be controlled from the handlebar? What is the cost of the BMW system that goes with the Shubert and how good is the audio quality for music?

I have the older Nav IV. The one thing I haven't been able to do is play the music I have stored on the Nav when it's on the bike. (GT also) Everything else seems to work fine. Sometimes, but not always I will need to turn off and on the Sena unit to wake up the bluetooh. :S

Are you sure you paired the Sena to the Bike?

Pat

What helmet are you using Pat? Is the shubet the only helmet that the volume could be controlled from the handlebar? What is the cost of the BMW system that goes with the Shubert and how good is the audio quality for music?

David, I have a Nolan 103 which BTW is about due for replacement. Sena SMH 10 for the com system. I priced out a Schuberth with the BMW com system (which is vey similar to the Schuberth com system) and it was about $1100 bucks. My undestanding is yes, you need the BMW com system to operate the volume from the bike and not the helmet.

No first hand knowledge on the sound quality with that system but I really like my Sena unit. :thumbsup:

Pat

Thanks for the link, I am going to give it a look. I am already over budget buying the 2014 RT and now need two helmets a communication setup and probably a seat. I was originally thinking two Shoei Neotec and possibly the Sena SMH 10. Figured it would be expensive but should be no problem with the capabilities of the new bike.

I read reviews on the Shuberth C3 and the only negative was thin padding and possible fitment issues on webbikeworld. If I am spending this kind of money it seems like I should be able to control the volume from the bike. Does the new RT come standard with the Siruis satellite? I am not tech savvy and would like to get this right the first time. What is everyone else using as a Helmet/communication set up and what are your thoughts?

The Shoei Neotec is a nice set up with the SMH 10 but they're in the same price range as the Shuberth. Wouldn't of thought that. Now, I did hear that there were issues pairing two com systems to the BMW radio using something other than the BMW system. The Rocket moto guys may have info on that.

One year Satellite radio free. They will try to tell you three months, tell them no, BMW says one year. Problem solved.

Pat

Thanks for the tip. I will make sure I get the full year. Pat, you mentioned your Nolan needing replacement. What would you consider for helmet and communication if you were starting new. I am open to any suggestions on a new set up for the 2014. Max is currently searching for a bike with the build I want, may be a week or two.

Thanks for the tip. I will make sure I get the full year. Pat, you mentioned your Nolan needing replacement. What would you consider for helmet and communication if you were starting new. I am open to any suggestions on a new set up for the 2014. Max is currently searching for a bike with the build I want, may be a week or two.

When I bought my 2011 RT from Max I negotiated 50% off on a Schuberth and BMW headset....by far the easiest way to go on a RT.

mentioned your Nolan needing replacement. What would you consider for helmet and communication if you were starting new.

I liked the Nolan enough where I'd give a N-104 a try. They did make it hard to fit the Sena because of their placement of sun shield slide lever. I guess there's a way to work around it so, I may still go that route.

nolan_n104_lava_grey.jpg

If anyone is interested in the Nolan 104 and Sena unit.

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=145691

Pat

Not sure I want to cut a slot into the helmet like that. I will have to check the Nolan pricing but think my search continues. I am going to see how much of a discount I could get on the Shubert or something else Max has to offer when I pay for the bike.

Archived