IGNORED

2014 R1200RT Oil Analysis

5336G

It's interesting that they are suggesting only 2000 miles before an oil change. Maybe just to confirm that the iron levels are dropping as break-in progresses?

I am not entirely sure what they are interested in which drove them to recommend a 2K sample. What caught my eye was the viscosity; the reduced numbers may be attributed to a blending of the assembly/pre-oil lubricants and the motor oil but other than that, nothing on this sample stands out for me.

I take oil samples on all of my vehicles to include aircraft. I view them as a cheap manner in which to determine a rudimentary health and status of an engine. What surprised me the most was the BMW autos... They must truly do a pre break-in as advertised since there were absolutely no elevated levels of any sort in the samples.

I will likely do another oil change in approx 1K miles since I am still in the break-in process. It is likely overkill but it won't hurt anything. I will be interested in seeing the difference.

Direct from my manual:

Engine oil, capacity Approx. 1.1 gal (Approx. 4 l), with filter replacement

Product recommended by BMW Motorrad:

Castrol Power 1 Racing SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2

Direct from my manual:

Engine oil, capacity Approx. 1.1 gal (Approx. 4 l), with filter replacement

Product recommended by BMW Motorrad:

Castrol Power 1 Racing SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2

Yep, which is what I plan to use. It is also worth noting, that Castrol Power 1 is called Castrol Power RS in North America. You can find it on amazon for about 7 bucks a quart. There is a thread on the MOA forum where a couple of folks contacted Castrol who confirmed.

NB

Beemer Boneyards also has Liqui-Moly in their oil change kits for the wet heads, not recommending just pointing it out.

Archived