IGNORED

2008 R1200RT needs a aftermarket alternator belt.

mjac

I am on the road and need a belt. Time wise I really can't afford to get an OEM belt shipped in. So while am waiting for NAPA and other part places to open, anyone know the part number of one that will work?

It should be the equivalent of 4pk582. NAPA or the others may use that number or have an equivalent number for it.

That may be the generic size number.

Also, check the one that comes off. It should be marked.

dc

I'm interested in knowing how many miles you had on the old belt, and how it failed. It seems to be a maintenance item that leads to posts that say "The old belt looked like new".

Guest Kakugo

Continental part number is 4PK582. Goodyear should be 4PK0580.

If I remember correctly it's a belt used on '90s Volvo cars, so you may want to try a Volvo dealership if everything else fails.

The 582 does refer to the length of the belt, 582 mm. So you may not want to vary from that number.

Second, supposedly it must be 'elastomer'. Some type of elasticity to it, I believe.

dc

Morning Mjac

The common Elastomer belts that match up are--

GATES 4PK580

VOLVO 3485086

CONTITECH 4PK582

DAYCO 4PK580

QUINTO... QBR4580

TRISCAN 8640400580

GOODYEAR 4PK0580

As you can see, all are just a bit shorter than the 582mm (except the Volvo & I don't know on that one ).

Unfortunately the Alternator on the 1200RT is fixed (non adjustable) & the OEM 582mm is at times a real pain to install.

If you just have to use a slightly shorter belt then maybe try putting it in the sun on black asphalt for while to make it a bit more pliable & stretchable.

Personally I just order the CONTITECH 4PK582 from an online source & usually have one hanging on my wall. (unfortunately I used the last one a couple of weeks ago & have been too lazy to order a new one).

Thanks to everyone. The numbers are a big help however not one of the parts houses here had something I could use. I did locate a local mom and pop bike shop and lo and behold they had a wreck and I was able to salvage a belt from it. It is a 582 and went on without too much aggravation, luckily.

I'll be on the road shortly headed to a larger town where a phone call has located a new belt(s). I'll get two.

This bike is a new to me purchase and I know when the belt SHOULD have been changed but now that is a mute point.

Thanks again for the help.

duckbubbles

Just curious. How many miles on the bike/belt assuming it is original? I still had the original belt on my ST at 54+K miles and planned to change it at 60K mi. The belt on the '11 RT has 25K mi. I think BMW says change it at 30K mi. (typically VERY conservative).

Frank

Morning Mjac

GATES 4PK580

VOLVO 3485086

CONTITECH 4PK582

DAYCO 4PK580

QUINTO... QBR4580

TRISCAN 8640400580

GOODYEAR 4PK0580

As you can see, all are just a bit shorter than the 582mm (except the Volvo & I don't know on that one ).

Unfortunately the Alternator on the 1200RT is fixed (non adjustable) & the OEM 582mm is at times a real pain to install.

If you just have to use a slightly shorter belt then maybe try putting it in the sun on black asphalt for while to make it a bit more pliable & stretchable.

Personally I just order the CONTITECH 4PK582 from an online source & usually have one hanging on my wall. (unfortunately I used the last one a couple of weeks ago & have been too lazy to order a new one).

Dirtrider, where are you ordering the Contitech belts from, couldn't find any online NA distributor. Thanks

Afternoon Luma46

I prefer not to disclose my source but Beemer Boneyard should have the CONTITECH 4PK582.

Morning Mjac

GATES 4PK580

VOLVO 3485086

CONTITECH 4PK582

DAYCO 4PK580

QUINTO... QBR4580

TRISCAN 8640400580

GOODYEAR 4PK0580

Mr Rider,

How about a Gates K040233?

TIA

Afternoon Mjac

Sure, as long as it is the correct length, width, & an Elastomer belt.

I can't confirm (IF) it is an Elastomer or not but by the vehicles it fits I doubt it.

Afternoon Mjac

Sure, as long as it is the correct length, width, & an Elastomer belt.

I can't confirm (IF) it is an Elastomer or not but by the vehicles it fits I doubt it.

Gotcha. My side trip to get a belt or two didn't work out so I am still looking. This one will make it home I hope and I'll probably order one from Boneyard. They are very proud of their shipping.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Morning Mjac

GATES 4PK580

VOLVO 3485086

CONTITECH 4PK582

DAYCO 4PK580

QUINTO... QBR4580

TRISCAN 8640400580

GOODYEAR 4PK0580

I have ordered and purchased on Ebay the Contitech 4PK582 belt. However what I have received is 4PK592Elast, this is the label on the wrap, on the belt itself it says 4PK 592 (582) ELAST. Do I have the right thing?

Afternoon Luma46

Not exactly, the stock belt is a 4PK582 so your 4PK592 is 10.0 mm longer.

It might work as they stretch pretty far but there is no adjustment on the 1200 Hexhead pulley spacing so it definitely won't be as tight as the original belt was.

Might make a good back up belt as it should go on easier on a middle-of-the-night roadside install.

However what I have received is 4PK592Elast, this is the label on the wrap, on the belt itself it says 4PK 592 (582) ELAST. Do I have the right thing?

Does the 582 refer to the relaxed length, with the 592 indicating the maximum stretched length?

Afternoon lkraus

I haven't ever seen an Elastomer belt marked that way as the belt supplier has no idea on the belt usage.

On the BMW 1200 Hexhead the relaxed installed length would be the exact same length as a new belt installed length as the pulley spacing is fixed.

I'm about due for a belt change myself, so I'll try to remember to measure. Maybe I was not clear, but it seems like an installed (stretched) belt would be a bit longer than the uninstalled (relaxed) belt. Maybe I'm incorrectly assuming that "elastomeric" implies "elastic". I thought belt stretchiness is what allows BMW to eliminate a tensioner mechanism.

RealOEM and Max BMW both show two part numbers. The first, 12317690571, is shown as superseded by 11318528385. This matches the info on another site: http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Alternator-Belt-R-Oilhead-Belt-4K582571-p/belt-4pk582571.htm. Their "Technical specs" show:

Length = 582mm

Continental / Contitech Part #4PK592ELAST

Application: BMW R Series Hexhead

Make/Model: BMW : R900, R1200

Model Years: 2005-2011

BMW Part #: 12 31 7 690 571 Superseded by (12 31 8 528 385)

EME Part# Belt-4PK582571

Interesting that the Conti 4PK592 part# translates to their internal part# 4PK582. And, links from Googling 4PK592 all reference boxer alternators. I'm thinking maybe the 4PK592 was an older (less tension) spec. Have not seen any mention of problems with the old spec, except maybe for the occasional squeal when wet complaint, though I don't know what belt was used in those cases. I could not find any better info on Conti belt sizing on the Continental websites.

I'm thinking Luma46 will be OK with the belt he received. Personally, I'll probably order mine from beemer boneyard and trust them to get it right.

Afternoon Mjac

I show the 4 PK 592 used on the R1200R, R1200S and R1200ST & some (specific alternator) GS with the 4 PK 582 used on the hexhead 1200RT.

No doubt the 4 PK 592 would probably work as that would more than likely be 4mm or less pulley to pulley stretch difference but the BMW parts book does show 4 PK 582 for the hexhead 1200RT.

The belt I ordered from Beemer Boneyard for my 08 RT is marked "Contitech 4 PK 592(582) Elast. Made in Germany"

This is exactly what I got from this ebay guy. He seems to be a BMW parts distributor in Greece and he claims that this is a belt for my bike. Maybe this belt meets specs of both 592 and 582 ..., just guessing. I still have at least 10k kms to go before replacement, so hopefully by the time I need to change it the spec will be clear.

Evening Luma46

No doubt it will fit, & more than likely work but it is it CORRECT?

You might call or E-Mail Mike @ BeemerBoneyard as BeemerBoneyard sells both belts (at least according to their listings) 582 for the 1200RT & 592 for 1200 S, ST, & some GS.

Afternoon Mjac

I show the 4 PK 592 used on the R1200R, R1200S and R1200ST & some (specific alternator) GS with the 4 PK 582 used on the hexhead 1200RT.

No doubt the 4 PK 592 would probably work as that would more than likely be 4mm or less pulley to pulley stretch difference but the BMW parts book does show 4 PK 582 for the hexhead 1200RT.

Beemer Boneyard's web site will not allow me to copy the description of the belt but it is here:

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/12317690571.html

It says if your stock BMW belt is 4PK582, this the one you need.

The belt that is on the bike, is a 4PK582.

Evening Mike

Beemer BoneYard will allow you to copy you just need to use the EDIT/COPY in the page top bar as Right click is disabled.

There ya go.

New Continental E-Last alternator belt. Fits all R1200RT models as well as all R1200GS ADV bikes. Also fits all R1200GS bikes from 2007 with 55 or 60 amp alternators. If your stock BMW belt is 4PK582 then this is the belt you need. Please check your application to be sure you order the correct belt.

I had the same question a few months ago and contacted Mike at Beemerboneyard.

Hello

A while back (actually quite a while), I had purchased from you a alternator belt, along with some other items for my 07 R1200RT. I had been keeping it as a spare and got around to installing it this past weekend. I had noticed the belt that I had removed was a 4PK582

and the belt which I received was a 4PK592. I checked the diameter of both belts and the 592 is smaller in diameter. So I am not sure I can use this belt, seems too small. Could you please advise.

Thanks

Ed

Here was his reply.

Hi Ed,

BMW has different markings on their BMW branded Continental belts than Continental does on their Continental branded belts which makes things confusing. If you look at the markings on the actual belt you will see 4PK592 <582> Elast. It is the correct belt for your '07 RT. The new belt will be smaller than the old belt as the old belt has been stretched already. Placing the belt out in the sun for a couple hours or warming it in a bucket of really warm water will make the belt more pliable and easier to install but it is the correct belt. Thanks,

Mike

Worked out for me, the belt was quite easy to install.

Ed

Archived