IGNORED

Some thoughts on the new RT so far PLUS color-matched top case

Roadwolf

Today I hit 1800 miles on the new RT making the 50 miles or so round trip to get my color matched top case from the paint shop. He did a great job (Dillashaw's Bikes and Customs in Easley, SC, recommended by Touring Sport BMW in Greenville).

I thought I'd take a moment to not only show pics, but to comment on the switch from the K1600GT to the RT and the experience so far.

Man, it was hard to give up the GT... I have never, ever experienced a motor like that, in a bike OR a car. It was addictive, plain and simple. I never really had a problem with the bike otherwise as well. My only complaint was tire life... anyone who tells you stories of 12,000 miles of life on that bike is just telling you... well, stories.

So, flash forward about 16 months from the purchase of the GT in October 2012. New RT hits the press and when I saw one in the flesh early February at TS, I knew I had a quandary.... it is just a stunning motorcycle to behold. BMW Motorrad nailed it from the get go... the only stylistic complaint is the nose heavy look from certain angles, but they did their best attempt to hide those radiators tucked up under the front, ala GS side blades. Still, it was love at first sight. The Quartz Blue I was looking at that Saturday in my first encounter reminded me so much of that first blue used in 1996 on the R1100RT. Really looks great (right, Pat?). I continued to see more new RTs, especially at the Asheville Club meeting at Eurosport one Tuesday night not long after that first encounter. They had two, sat on them both, with my friends grinning at me as I was grinning from ear to ear. One of them said, "Give him a few weeks and we will see him on one on the next club ride." Well, how right he was as not but a few weeks later that is exactly what happened.

I hemmed and hawed over the switch at the dealership last month, walked away twice because of the inline 6 motor. But the lure of the RT, especially now in the Ebony Metallic paint, was too much to resist. The ride home confirmed that it was indeed the right decision. The difference between the GT and RT was immediate (less weight, more nimble, better wind protection).

The coming weeks was getting adjusted to (and liking very much) the Pro Shift Assist and the Hill Start Control. The Pro Shift I use, maybe, 25 percent of the time and that is only because of muscle memory still wanting to use the clutch. The use of the clutch is smoother for gear transitions, but that may also be because I haven't quite mastered the use of clutchless shifting. The Hill Start control I use not just on grades, but whenever I want to release my hand from the brake and still keep the rear brake light lit up (I have the top case brake light as well, so this is really nice).

A note about the engine. Yes, it is not as smooth as the K series, but what else is? But it is really strong for a boxer. It is really smooth and continues to be at speed. It pulls eagerly and you can lug it down low and still get going. Also, I can't believe I am typing this, but either I did the break in just right or BMW has really improved on oil consumption with the new water heads, but it hasn't used a drop of oil (practically none, compared to my old RTs and GS). It has a throaty exhaust note when you get on it, not so much at idle, but that has always been the case on all my boxers... what do they say, body by BMW, engine by Singer.

All the other bells and whistles work as advertised. The Nav V is a much improved GPS over the old Nav IV. I do wish that they had figured out a way to lock it to the panel like the GT, but I can see why they didn't do it like the GT was. Only hope that someone isn't that smart to figure it out (I leave it with the bike all the time). The accessing the radio and other Audio buttons on the lower left panel is easier than the GT/GTL... those are mounted much lower. I like the storage compartment on the RT, up higher and easier to get at.

The readability of the tach and speedo are A LOT better than the tighter font and hash marks of the art deco styled GT versions. Lighting of the dash is brighter it seems as well (probably the effect of the easier to ready tach and speedo) PLUS the dash is adjustable on the angle. My sales guy didn't even know this when I showed it to him.

And more importantly on the subject of lighting, the visibility of the RT during daytime running is much better with the conventional H7 bulb on the center headlamp over the Adaptive headlight on the K bike. Plus, the angel eyes are several degrees brighter as well.

Stock seat is waiting to be replaced by the BMW high seat coming from Germany (along with the accessory lights and cylinder guards, those in Germany as well). Seating position is actually a little tighter than the final set up I had on my GT (Sargent seat), but with the high seat and the Suburban Machinery foot peg lowering kit, I should be fine (hope that the Suburban Machinery kit doesn't mean I have to figure out how to lower the shifter and rear brake pedal down, although those that have already done so don't seem to mind the new foot positions, will see).

As you can see in the pics, I added the tank bag as well. Not as user friendly as the old RT rail system, but still a very nice bag and really not difficult to take on or off if you are used to either the GS bag or the GT bag.

So, after some miles, I think this one is a keeper. My last RT I put just under 80,000 miles on it in 6 years. I think this one is going be much the same thing based on the rides so far. Loving it and think that BMW is going to have a lot of these in production to keep up with demand.

IMG_2022_zpsbc033baf.jpg

IMG_2019_zps52c75b3c.jpg

IMG_2018_zpsf55c0728.jpg

Topcase looks great Chris, thanks for the thoughts. I am at 1500 miles and also have not seen the oil drop any yet.

NB

Chris,

As for the paint on the topcase, did you disassemble/reassemble it yourself and only take the bare bones plastic lid to the paint shop, or did they handle the entire process?

Nice report Chris. That painted top case really ties the bike together. Integrated instead of an add on. :thumbsup:

Funny story about missing the GT's power or more so, torque. I got off the freeway the other day and doing a (shush) rolling stop at the end of the ramp I stalled the RT whereas the GT would have powered away in that same third gear without protest. MUST DOWNSHIFT NOW! :dopeslap::grin:

Pat

Ditto on the top case match. Looks really good. I went with the smaller 28 Liter case as the standard black doesn't look out of place when paired with the Castillo Grey paint scheme on mine. Loose a lot of space over the 49 liter, but it's mostly for when I carry a passenger (backrest) - I may miss the space when I take on a long trip, but I generally travel solo, which means I use the passenger seat for a soft bag as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Norm LeFevre

That looks great. I have the ebony bike and have a 28 litre box at the paint shop. I'll post some pics when complete.

I think the bike deserves a paint-matched bag.

What type of tank bag is that, Bruce?

If I may chime in here, it is a Bags Connection City bag. I have the same one on my Tiger Explorer.

Mounts to the fuel cap with a special ring. Not too big.

Works really well.

What type of tank bag is that, Bruce?

Yep. SW-MOTECH Bags Connection from Twisted Throttle.com. It is the perfect size for me, just needed something to hold the essentials: wallet, phone, sunscreen, Plexus, etc.

IMG_0280.jpg

Did you get the electrified version?

If it includes the brake light I would say yes as the brake light needs to get power from the bike somehow.

I am thinking of adding the brake light to mine and it is about AU$250.

Teddy :)

Norm LeFevre

Sorry Teddy,

I was referring to the bag. I went on the site for the bags and didn't find a City Bag (lots of other names); I'm thinking the electrified bag will hold and charge a cell phone, plus some other stuff. Don't want anything too big.

Sorry Teddy,

I was referring to the bag. I went on the site for the bags and didn't find a City Bag (lots of other names); I'm thinking the electrified bag will hold and charge a cell phone, plus some other stuff. Don't want anything too big.

No worries, electrified tank bag, that's a new one for me!

I guess why not?

Teddy

Has anyone tried to mount the 35 litre BMW C600 scooter top case on a RT? It looks neat.

I personally feel a 35 litre top case would be perfect for the new WC RT. Just my opinion.

Jaqen H'ghar
Has anyone tried to mount the 35 litre BMW C600 scooter top case on a RT? It looks neat.

I personally feel a 35 litre top case would be perfect for the new WC RT. Just my opinion.

I think that's a great idea, am going to do just that and I will post some pics in about 2 weeks, probably just start a new thread on the subject.

I think I'll ask my dealer to put a 28L and a 650GT 35L on the back and see which looks best (hope they got them in stock!).

I think that's a great idea, am going to do just that and I will post some pics in about 2 weeks, probably just start a new thread on the subject.

I think I'll ask my dealer to put a 28L and a 650GT 35L on the back and see which looks best (hope they got them in stock!).

Were you able to try out the 35L case? I am yet to find one.

Jaqen H'ghar

RTster,

Well I went over to my dealer yesterday and talked with my salesman and the parts dept. guy and we came up with this: it won't fit, the scooter tail end is completely different so no way to secure the base plate properly, parts guru said it could be done, anything can be done, just get your C/C out and give him approx. 300 smackerroonies and it's mine to try all I want, they don't want to order it and pay for it just to find out I don't want it cause it won't fit and then they get stuck putting it into their stock to maybe sit forever before a scooter buyer buys it.

I don't want it that bad so I ordered the 28L. Jaqen

Norm LeFevre

I just got my 28L bag; had it painted Ebony Metallic. Really beautiful. I think it's a good size for the bike, and I don't really need any more room.

brucewinter

what is the ebony color code?

What was the approximate cost to paint?

any suggestions of a painter in palm beach or broward county, Florida?

Norm LeFevre

Took some nice photos; I've got to figure out how to attach or imbed them. The first step is complete. They're in photobucket, but I can't quite get it done on my iPad.

I think I have a nice solution for garage door openers as well. Really low-tech but works well.

I'll get on my laptop later and attach.

In photobucket, enlarge the pic and then copy it. Paste in the photo icon above. That's how I do it.

Pat

RTster,

Well I went over to my dealer yesterday and talked with my salesman and the parts dept. guy and we came up with this: it won't fit, the scooter tail end is completely different so no way to secure the base plate properly, parts guru said it could be done, anything can be done, just get your C/C out and give him approx. 300 smackerroonies and it's mine to try all I want, they don't want to order it and pay for it just to find out I don't want it cause it won't fit and then they get stuck putting it into their stock to maybe sit forever before a scooter buyer buys it.

I don't want it that bad so I ordered the 28L. Jaqen

Thanks for the update.

I wrote to Sierra BMW and they also confirmed that the scooter case won't fit the RT. I may also take the 28l route.

Um...Not quite right on the photo link.

The link you posted looks like it's for an album. I think that has to be posted as a 'url' not an 'img' type link.

Also, there's no "http:" at the beginning, so it's not a valid address.

Here's what you posted:

[img=//s1001.photobucket.com/user/NormInTX/media/imagejpg1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2#/user/NormInTX/media/imagejpg1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2&_suid=1399298895944015278757969386525]

Changing the 'img' to 'url' and put back the http:, it should instead look like this:

[url]http://s1001.photobucket.com/user/NormInTX/media/imagejpg1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2#/user/NormInTX/media/imagejpg1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2&_suid=1399298895944015278757969386525[/url]

Which will look like this:

http://s1001.photobucket.com/user/NormInTX/media/imagejpg1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2#/user/NormInTX/media/imagejpg1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2&_suid=1399298895944015278757969386525

If you want to post an individual picture from photobucket, just click on the IMG link in the "Links to share this photo". That will copy the url for the photo. When you're composing a message here, you can just paste that link right into the post.

Like this:

[url=http://s1001.photobucket.com/user/NormInTX/media/imagejpg5.jpg.html][img=http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af134/NormInTX/imagejpg5.jpg][/url]

Which will look like this:

imagejpg5.jpg

hmmm, I would be concerned that with that and your address (from 'home' on your gps or from the bikes registration) would give the thief access to your residence.

I just Velcro one inside the glove box. Take it with me or lock it when I'm not on the bike.

just my opinion.

regards,

Len

Norm LeFevre

That's a great observation, and I may move it. My GPS "home" (just for that purpose) is about 2 blocks away from my actual home.

I know some that program "My GPS Home” the location of the local police. Think about it, if you drive a car to a restaurant, valet park they have you home key (most wont' separate it form car key) and your home location from you GPS.

Get smart and be safe.

Jay

Norm LeFevre

Yes; combined with the key. I have a tie-wrap on the key (tightly), so that it doesn't flop around.

Locking bags and alarm are pretty slick.

• 2 months later...

Yes the seats were done by Rick. Huge improvement over stock.The backrest added about 2+ hours of riding comfort for my wife.

That does look nice but your seats look to be of Rick Mayer's doing.

10451169_10202273372461216_2911915305147706938_n.jpg

Pat

Archived