IGNORED

2014 Warranty requirements

Hoghead

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum and need some info. I'm looking to buy this week a 2014 R1200RT and am wondering just how much of the service is required to be done by the dealer to maintain the warranty. I have ridden Harley's the last 25 years and now want to try a BMW. I have always done my own service on Harley's but some have said BMW requires some to be done by the dealer. Also I would like the opinion of everyone as to what color of the 2014 they prefer. I have seen the ebony but not the blue and gray. Any help you could give on this would be greatly appreciated

Afternoon Hoghead

Technically there is NO requirement that BMW do any of the service operations. And according the law they can't force you to use them for any required service unless they provide it for free.

BUT, there are certain things in the service that are set up for the dealer computer interface. In most cases there are acceptable work arounds for the home mechanic but that does leave the door open for no support from them on any "above & beyond" help from the dealer or motor company.

My suggestion to you is to talk it out with your selling dealer BEFORE buying the bike from them.

Some dealers will go out of their way to support & help do-it-yourself home servicers while other dealers see the customer as nothing but a cash-cow & will squeeze & intimidate them to squeeze every penny they can from a BMW rider.

If you have a supporting dealer then you are lucky & will have no problems servicing your bike yourself, maybe even with help from the dealer on special services that require their computer or special tools.

Good Afternoon,

Just purchased a blue 2014 RT. I like the colour because it provides a nice contrast to the other grey and silver colours on the bike.

I live in Ottawa Canada and we just got about 4 inches of snow this morning but this is not going to deter me from having my bike delivered to my residence this coming Wednesday morning (02 Apr 14).

I am going to discuss basic maintenance with my dealer on Tuesday and I will get back to the members after that. I don't intend on doing complicated things on my bike just fluid changes and other basics.

Wish me luck as I haven't ridden a bike since my last one in 1981.

Cheers.

If you do your own service simply keep reciepts and take pics

for documentation.

Warranty coverage may be denied for lack of proper parts, maintenance items, poor work, addition of aftermarket part that causes the problem, failure to perform maintenance in a timely manner, among other reasons.

We have had a board memeber with claim denial due to improper oil/parts.

Enjoy the new ride.

Tallman is right. Keep detailed records when you do your own maintenance. Really, the only thing you need to take it to the dealer for is the critical 600 mile service. After that, if your skilled all you should have to go the dealer for is a fault code check. I haven't had to do that for years thanks to the GS911 :grin:

What is so critical about the 600 mile service? I imagine it would be a valve adjustment? I certainly wouldn't do any internal engine service or adjustments. That is one place I need to stay out of.

Also was wondering about brand of oil most people is using

Harley has always tried to tell customers if they don't use their brand it voids the warranty. Of course that is B.S.?

What is so critical about the 600 mile service? I imagine it would be a valve adjustment? I certainly wouldn't do any internal engine service or adjustments. That is one place I need to stay out of.

Also was wondering about brand of oil most people is using

Harley has always tried to tell customers if they don't use their brand it voids the warranty. Of course that is B.S.?

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. If a manufacturer requires a specific oil, they have to pay for it.

What brand does most BMW owners use?....I'm sure there are several that would qualify….

Who knows and why start an oil thread? It's really not that hard. The owner's manual should list the API and viscosity specifications. As long as the oil meets the API and viscosity specs, it's fine. So, if the specs are 10w-40 SG or SJ, JASO MA (this is hypothetical), then look for an oil that meets those specs. Most auto parts stores have a section for motorcycle oil. If you want to go to a motorcycle dealer, that's fine, or use an online retailer like Beemer Bone Yard, which sells maintenance items for BMW bikes. You'll find that the owners manual will even list how much. Last I looked it was 4L. Make sure you buy a new crush washer for the drain plug too. As far as filters go, get a BMW filter or one made by Mann, who is the OEM for BMW filters. FWIW, I use Mobil 1 20w-50 motorcycle oil or Mobil 1 15w-50 for my 2009 RT. If you are buying a new RT, the specs will be different. Read the owners manual. I am sure someone will chime in about Amsoil, Belray, Motul, BMW oil, Castrol, Valvoline or some other brand.

Bmw recommends this by name in my manual, so I am going to go with it. $7 a quart is reasonable.

NB

So the specs must be 5w-40 API SL rating JASO MA2. That's good to know.

What is so critical about the 600 mile service?

I just took my 2014 in for the 600 mile service on Friday. The service consisted of an oil change and final drive oil change, plus checking for fault codes, and looking at brake fluid, etc. It was nothing I couldn't have done myself, but at $250 I figured I'd let them check it over in case there was anything I was overlooking. I plan to do the rest of the services myself. I enjoy working on the bike, getting more familiar with it, and saving some money. With the nearest dealer 50 miles (of Los Angeles traffic) away, that is a mild inconvenience also.

They put synthetic oil in the engine and final drive. I remember a few a discussion when I had my 2005 that people were not putting synthetic in until 10k miles.

Edit: Forgot to mention, there was a bulletin for a software update that they applied. The dealer said it was related to the seat heating.

I too like to do my own maintenance but this bike will require a reset (or whatever it’s called) at each service interval. In the past you could do this with the GS911, the current GS911 doesn’t work with the WetHeads or K1600. From what I’ve heard it is going to require more than just software update you may need to buy a new GS911. This is the current roadmap http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/roadmap , I’m hoping it’s soon I don’t think my 6000 mile service will be that far away.

Jay

I too like to do my own maintenance but this bike will require a reset (or whatever it’s called) at each service interval. In the past you could do this with the GS911, the current GS911 doesn’t work with the WetHeads or K1600. From what I’ve heard it is going to require more than just software update you may need to buy a new GS911. This is the current roadmap http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/roadmap , I’m hoping it’s soon I don’t think my 6000 mile service will be that far away.

Jay

Just ignore the dealer extortion light.

Thanks to every one who responded. I went to Nashville today and looked at the Gray but still havent bought. Would love to have the Blue but none within 250 miles and have to wait probably 3 mos, so I may take the Gray...Again Thanks very much for the information.....

Thanks for the information in this tread. The tread is very helpful. I will check with my dealer on the software update for the heated seat setting. Since I have a 911, I will also check on the needed software for my beautiful Grey R1200 RTW. If anyone has more information on the 911 requirements please post. Today, was a beautiful day to ride in north Georgia.

Archived