IGNORED

Hot oil smell

Big D

I bought a 2002 1150RT recently and it currently has 28,300 miles on it of which 750 are mine. When I stop the bike say at a traffic light, I can smell a faint odor of hot oil. I have checked all over the engine and tranny and cannot find where oil is leaking onto anything hot. Any ideas? confused.gif Isn't one of the tubes running under the plastic to the ground an oil breather from somewhere?

If you can't see any oil leak you're probably fine. I notice that if you spill oil on the exhaust during an oil change or transmission oil change that it will smell for a while. If it doesn't go away, keep looking. --Jerry

Check the airfilter box for oil. The drain plug is over the exhaust and can drip.

Typically, the airfilter box gets oil in it when the sump has been overfilled.

I bought a 2002 1150RT recently and it currently has 28,300 miles on it of which 750 are mine. When I stop the bike say at a traffic light, I can smell a faint odor of hot oil. I have checked all over the engine and tranny and cannot find where oil is leaking onto anything hot. Any ideas? confused.gif Isn't one of the tubes running under the plastic to the ground an oil breather from somewhere?

The other favourite place for oil weeping is from the filler cap.

Cya, Andy

Mine did the same thing 04 with 19000. Check with a flash light up under and forward of the rear swing arm. Mine was leaking out of the transmission output shaft and onto the cat. It would burn off while riding so you don't notice any puddles on the concrete when stopped. I think the best view was with bike on the centerstand and from the kickstand (left) side of the bike.

These RTs have so many smells, I think this is the stinkiest bike I every owned.

Does is smell more like road Tar/Asphalt, if so check for road Tar/Asphalt bits on top of the catalytic converter. The smell will burn off eventually. I'm always smelling things like burning leaves, etc. I live in wooded area and always kicking something up on the exhaust header or converter.

But by all means check for leaks.

I seem to notice a smell like burning oil or rubber after I do some riding in the rain. I've come to think that the water from the road that has splashed on the engine, pipes etc contains old rubber and oil and this stuff has to burn off.

Archived