IGNORED

How to change oil in final drive & spline lube - 2009 R1200RT

MTRMAN63

Nice Job... One question, if your not dropping the drive (spline lube) why remove the speed sensor?

Unless there was a change from 09 to 2010, I have a fill plug, I've never removed the speed sensor to fill my FD.

Morning Phil

His 09 has that same final drive fill plug (you can easily see it in his video).

You can fill it through the wheel speed sensor hole as he does but that is extra work and there is always that chance of nicking the speed sensor "O" ring at re-assembly (especially if the "O" ring is swelled up slightly).

Morning Phil

His 09 has that same final drive fill plug (you can easily see it in his video).

You can fill it through the wheel speed sensor hole as he does but that is extra work and there is always that chance of nicking the speed sensor "O" ring at re-assembly (especially if the "O" ring is swelled up slightly).

Yep, my '09 has the fill plug. You don't need to pull the ABS sensor unless you're dropping the drive to lube the splines, as DR and Phil pointed out. I noticed that yesterday when I was watching the video (excellent work!).

One thing to watch out for: the fill plug is a hex socket, and the drain plug is a Torx. Don't assume that the Fill Plug Design Engineer and the Drain Plug Design Engineer talked to each other and try to use a hex on the drain plug. It will go in, feel seated, and promptly round off the socket. Don't ask me how I know that ...

JayJay

Archived