IGNORED

Akrapovic sound on 2014 RT

Moto-maineiac

Moto-maineiac

Came across this on YouTube and thought others might find it of interest. A bit too loud with the baffle removed for my tastes.

Thanks, been waiting to hear that pipe. I like how it looks but my money will be going to Sargent when, they get around to building a seat for this bike. Truth be told, I don't even have the bike yet but history has shown that my arse and stock BMW seats don't get along all that well. :/

Pat

ShooterSteve

I think it's very hard to judge the sound from youtube videos. I've purchased lots of pipes for lots of bikes and never found youtube to be a good sampling of the real sound. So far the few RT's I've heard on youtube sound like 50cc Honda's to me. Maybe people are making these videos with their iPhones?

Wow. Can't tell what the sound is like but it looks hideous.

There is no styling continuity from the bike at all.

I agree with the guy the shot the video, the little carbon doofy-dangle at the front end hides the join in a pleasing way.

Note to video takers - shoot in landscape!

Pat,

I actually like the note of the stock can, it has more throat than the model it replaces. The sound in person sounds much nicer than as represented on video.

Thanks Wade, yeah from what I've heard so far, i'm happy with the sound of the stock pipe. Was thinking the Akrapovic gave the bike a lighter appearance though.

Pat

A long-long time ago, when I was 20 years old, I put some sport pipes on my 350 Honda SL and it was one of my favorite mods on a bike. I am not a fan of straight pipes, but I like the sound of Ducatis with sport pipes and HDs with scream’n eagles. So last week I had the Akrapovic installed on my 2014 RT. I like the looks better than the stock chrome, but the first 20 miles didn’t reveal much change in sound at all. However, over 200 miles the baffle loosened up and I could definitely hear a difference when accelerating. Just for fun I removed the baffle and the change in sound was noticeable, but not obnoxious at least in my opinion. Even with the baffle removed the Akrapovic is fairly close to the stock pipe when cruising under constant speed. However, when accelerating the exhaust sound is much more pronounced than the stock pipe. I think the video does a pretty good job of representing the sound for a simple engine rev. This is an expensive mod and obviously not for everyone, in fact it’s the only Akropovic that my dealer has installed on a boxer engine in 8 years of service. Thanks for posting the youtube link.

ShooterSteve

I put a Remus CF slip-on on my K1300S. Makes a bit of a difference in sound but certainly not too loud. I do think it looks much better than the huge stainless pipe that the bike came with. A few riding buddies have put the Remus on their RTs and GTs and they sound good. Akropovic's are common on the S100RR's I see.

I was notified that Revzilla has the Akrapovic in-stock (about $1,100) but I've ordered the "BMW version" of the Akrapovic to come in (was able to utilize a 20% off BMW accessory offer + my dealer added another 10% off) so it was a couple hundred less, but I'll have to wait....

Would like to hear a bit more tone under acceleration, but relatively quiet at speed. One of the main reasons for the change is that the chrome can (and head pipes for that matter) look out of place with the more muted satin colors. I've got the Callisto Grey and I'm hoping the titanium color of the can will fit better with the overall look of the bike. I don't understand why BMW went with a chrome exhaust to begin with.

Archived