IGNORED

Toll Plaza Easy Tag Mounting

AV8R

I am trying to find a good location to mount my EZ Tag, (Toll Road Express Lane Sensor) on my new '06 R1200RT. On my previous bike I put it inside the Saddle Bag, taped to the underside of the lid. It worked fine. The RT saddle opens differently and I wonder if the metal in the latch may interfere with the sensing of the tag. Have any of you already solved this problem?

Sorry, I did not try mounting the EZ Pass transponder in a side case, so I can't answer your specific question. However, I did try mounting in a few different locations - in various pockets in my jacket; in the "radio box"; the map pocket and in my tank bag. None of these worked consisently. Anoyed by the hit and miss, I covered it with black tape and mounted it with heavy-duty Velcro on the black panel between the windscreen and the instrument panel. It sits between the two movable windscreen stanchions. It's not real obvious there and it works every time.

Next time the tupperware is off, I'd like to see if there's room under one of the front facing panels to mount it completely out of sight.

Brian

Not on a 1200RT, but on my 1150RT and 1200GS the best spot was the windshield. It's the only place that it worked 100% of the time. Also it was out there for all to see, which is good if they get a pict of you running a toll for some reason. And it was easily removed.

Only came off once, when I had not fastened it properly before departure. Lesson learned.

I put mine in the cut off leg of an old nylon and tie it to my tank bag. It seems to work just as well inside the tank bag, but if it doesn't trigger in a manual lane, I have something to point to.

In Illinois, they snap your picture if it doesn't register. Then they check against registrations and if they don't match your license plate, they send you a bill (when you accummulate 6 no-pays.) I know because there's one gate at the River Road plaza that didn't pick me up (even though the Oak Brook and O'Hare plaza did. Or maybe they just didn't get my picture at those. ;)

I also learned that if your plate is not registered as "mcy<plate>" they won't pick it up. But if you call them and give them your account number, they'll debit the tolls and eliminate the penalties.

My point, and I do have one, is if your state registers plates for vehicles that use the transponder, there s little to worry about if it doesn't read reliably. If you're in a location where it has to read to get through the gate, then you need to be a little more concerned.

Oh yeah... My wife told me in front of a bunch of other guys from the club "I left another pair of panty hose for you on your dresser." I said "Good, the other ones are getting runs." And it was a long time before anyone else at the table said a word. blush.gifgrin.gif

-hank

skinny_tom (aka boney)

First, check to see if they will properly debit your account if you go through the toll lane and it doesn't register. That is, instead of sending you a ticket for "toll evasion" , they realize your license plate is in their system and handle it that way.

After you're sure they won't send you tickets, put that thing in a drawer at your desk where you'll never lose it.

Anoyed by the hit and miss, I covered it with black tape and mounted it with heavy-duty Velcro on the black panel between the windscreen and the instrument panel. It sits between the two movable windscreen stanchions. It's not real obvious there and it works every time.

Brian

If you did that here in Florida, the sun would heat it up and cook it. frown.gif

Like it did my black garage door opener velcroed to the top of the tank bag. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

I tried several locations on my 99rt.I have the license plate version-black, about 7"longx2"x2". I finally mounted it to a piece of angle aluminum 2"x2"x1/8" and zip tied the whole thing to the little piece of fairing under the oil cooler.It works every time at the booth and looks a lot cleaner than it sounds.It sits plumb, just the way it would when mounted to a car license plate as intended.

Archived