IGNORED

Tire Choice for Riding Style

jbr7t

I'm curious of the tire combo's and useage people are choosing. After next week my commute to work will no longer be 50 miles 1 way and will be closer to about 5. I've been running Tourance and recently the Shinko 705 on my 04 GS because it was my primary commuter. I'm thinking that since I'm not as concerned about a bunch of miles and tread life, I might go ahead and put something a little more aggressive on for the weekend camping trips. Figured I'd see what you're running and what kind of riding. Also, what kind of treadlife etc. Thanks for the input.

Firefight911

Heidenau K60s will run you for roughly 8-10,000 miles or more. 50/50 tire. I use to run these a lot until the redesign, IMO, ruined anything good they had going for them. They added a center stripe for road use which killed their usability off road. I, personally, will never use them again. I did a 50 CC with these tires on my bike and have run them off road extensively.

TKC 80 will run you roughly 2500 miles on a rear and up to double that on front. 20/80 tire.

Karoo 3 is seeing up to 5,000 miles and is getting good reviews early on. 40/60 tire. Probably my next tire on my bike.

Kenda Big Block, the redesign, are seeing 3-4,000 miles now. 20/80 tire. People seem to like them and also don't. Only listen to those on the redesign as the originals worked well but wore out FAST.

I've got TKC on right now and am about 2,000 miles in with a ton of dirt use. Rear is 60-70% worn. Front is about 15-25% worn. I had these on for my annual all off road Death Valley/Pahrump dirt trip. They work great and the road manners are predictable for the tread. No real complaints.

I have been very undisciplined with the Shinko 705s on my GS and the back is pretty well beat at 3500 miles. I will admit that I have not been very good about checking the pressures on these so I think I have done them a lot of harm in this, and they should be at less than half the wear they are currently showing.

That said, I ran a 30% life 705 rear in the sugar sand and over about 100 miles of offroad on GS in our trans Florida dual sport ride and I was pleasantly surprised with them as a 30/70 maybe 40/60 tire. Especially for the price point.

Matt, I've been really happy with my Shinko 705. I've got just over 4000 miles on the rear. I've been good about keeping air pressure checked and on trying to take the backroads some days for my commute to keep them from squaring off. I'd say it should easily get another 4000 miles..so long as I don't make to many trips to West Virginia.

ncsonderman

I'm going to have some TKCs shoed on this weekend so that I can enjoy the bike off road. I'll keep the Tourances to put on another set of rims for a road trip or commuting duty. My commuting is mostly on the RT, so I'm not so worried about treadlife on the TKCs.

I've heard good things about their off road ability and predictable nature on pavement. I did read a few comments about shaky wet road manners, but I'll be the judge of that.

• 4 months later...

I went in to talk to Patrick at Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg about a few things and started talking tires. As we got talking he said, "I've got a deal for you." One of my favorite quotes from a salesman! He comes around with a set of the Karoo 2's they had left over. Cut me a great price and I'm getting the front and rear installed on Tuesday. Very timely, as I've been nursing that front tourance WAY past my comfort zone of tread..but since my commute is only 5 miles now and I rarely can even get past 3rd gear its all good. Anyway, looking forward to getting the Karoo's and heading out to the farm to test them out.

Morning James

My (personal) tire of choice is the TKC 80, very good on hard pack dirt, OK in soft dirt, OK on road as long as they aren't run too low on air pressure.

The TKC 80's are also fairly quiet for their off road traction.

Down side of the TKC 80 is that they are not cheap.

The TKC 80 isn't real good in deep sand but nothing road worthy, or should I say road legal, is worth a hoot in deep sand.

I have tried a lot of off road tires & the just jeep coming back to the TKC 80 as the best compromise (for me) for being good off-road but lasting a decent time on-road.

I agree with DR, I have been so pleased with the TKC80, that I can't bring myself to gamble with other tire choices. The only exception is that I do like to mount a heidenau k60 on the rear when I'm going to be doing a lot of pavement in between the dirt. For instance, two years ago for the UN in Colorado. I mounted a K60 rear and a TKC80 front for that trip. 2000 high speed miles each way and pretty much all off-road while I was there. That was the perfect tire setup for that trip. I still prefer the TKC80 rear when off-road, but I wasn't sure it would handle the miles I needed for that trip. If I'm staying on the east coast and know I'm getting off the pavement, I reach for the TKC80.

I do cheat a little bit though, I have a spare set of wheels in the garage that let me swap things quickly depending on what's on the calendar.

Thanks Guys. I thought the TKC's looked like a great option. I was actually planning to go that route prior to the "deal" offer. I'm getting both the front and rear Karoo 2 for just a touch more than the rear TKC. The K2 and the TKC actually have a kind of similar lug pattern.

So, my guess is my next set will be the TKC or maybe Keith's TKC/Heidenau combo. Maybe one day I'll have my own garage set up like my favorite Pennsylvania mechanic and I'll have the extra set of wheels too.

• 2 weeks later...

TSa - Yes, quite a few use that combo. OopezoO (keith) would be a good one to talk to. He ran that combo from Pennsylvania out to Colorado. High speed highway out, almost all off road while there, and high speed highway back.

Has anyone else tried this setup, TKC80 in front / K60 in back?

I've been thinking of that as TKC will wore out too soon in back.

That is my favorite setup that I have tried. You are correct about a TKC80 wearing out quickly in the rear......especially if you do any high speed distance riding. I wouldn't expect more than 4-5k miles from one. That is why I switched to the K60 in the rear. I get about 10k miles out of them and they do a nice job off road. Not as good as the TKC80, but I have still been very pleased. The TKC80 on the front does a nice job in just about all conditions. I do notice it getting a little slippy on painted lines in the rain, but that can be said of every tire. I just noticed it more with the TKC80. Suprisingly, I get plenty of mileage out of them too.

That is why I switched to the K60 in the rear. I get about 10k miles out of them

Wow, 10K really? Oh ok, now I see how you did that! :grin:

Let me say one thing about Keith's tire setup, it doesn't hinder his riding style at all, anywhere! :thumbsup: Highways, byways and goat paths included. :grin:

801d_IMG_4362.jpg

For the legal team, this is not Keith. :rofl:

Pat

I feel like the #1 thing holding me back is the stock suspension........oh how I miss the Works suspension I had on my RT. These stock suspenders are abysmal :dopeslap:

Having spent quite a few miles chasing Keith, I concur. And, if you are being "held back" by your suspension, I'm almost scared to try and keep up if you upgrade.

Archived