IGNORED

Tools

strataj

I am assuming you are talking about the 2014RT

You are correct, it has basically no storage space now at all.

So I have arranged the panniers to carry tools on one side and wet weather gear on the other side.

The tools I carry include:

1) Tire repair kit

2) Small compressor

3) Adapter to suit your normal Cigarette socket to the smaller BMW socket (for the compressor and other accessories)

4) A full blown special tool roll with high quality tools that include special adapters to change front wheel, rear wheel, Torx socket, Allan sockets, normal sockets for bolts commonly found on the bike, small ratched etc.

Yep, thanks Alfred02 I’m taking about the 14R1200RT, I did make the assumption that we are in the WetHead forum…

I’m hoping someone comes up with a creative place to store tools. I personal need to spend time learning just what I must carry such as Alfred02 mentions. I’ve always been of the option each rider should carry tools to make road side repairs regardless of their ability. If you don’t have the needed tool, help from a knowable person is impossible. Common failed parts are another consideration. The lack of space on the 14R1200RT is really going to impact what I travel with.

When I took delivery of the bike I mentioned the lack of space to the deal, he replied with a smile saying the glove box is your tool kit it holds your phone…

Jay

Yep, thanks Alfred02 I’m taking about the 14R1200RT, I did make the assumption that we are in the WetHead forum…

I’m hoping someone comes up with a creative place to store tools. I personal need to spend time learning just what I must carry such as Alfred02 mentions. I’ve always been of the option each rider should carry tools to make road side repairs regardless of their ability. If you don’t have the needed tool, help from a knowable person is impossible. Common failed parts are another consideration. The lack of space on the 14R1200RT is really going to impact what I travel with.

When I took delivery of the bike I mentioned the lack of space to the deal, he replied with a smile saying the glove box is your tool kit it holds your phone…

Jay

That's all well and good but here in Aus phone reception is patchy at best and it also depends on which carrier you are with as they all seem to offer varying coverage.

I wonder if there is space under the seat for an autocom SPA or do we all have to try bluetooth again?

I'll leave that for another topic, I still haven't decided if I will upgrade yet?

Teddy

Hi jay, the point you observe is well worth the consideration.

I have been pondering what I would do with all the stuff I keep sqirreled away on my 1150. It is stuff which of the longer rides I do, I consider very important. When I tour, the panniers and top box are full, so the secret places are very precious.

In the tail section of the bike I have a set of CO2 bottles, tyre repair string, ropes, compressor, fairly comprehensive but compact tool kit, washing sponge and wax plus chamois. Then below the riders seat I have the autocom unit, a 15 litre collapsible bowl.

In the glove compartment I have a bottle of oil, torch, binoculars, camera, first aid kit, 2 sets of tie down straps, wallet. Sun tan cream and talc.

So what will have to go?

Andy I too have an R1150RT mines is a 02, I’ll put it up for sale soon. I have all kinds of stuff stashed. In the tail I have a batty tender, air pump, CO2’s (3) tire repair kit, tape. Under the seats I have a cable lock set up to lock down my riding suit, all kinds of tools. The glove box I keep an oil site glass, gerbing stuff and a flashlight that I can wear on my head and see what’s in front of me and a couple of rags. I have plenty of room for my wallet and phone.

In my top case I have a first aid kit, fuel siphon http://www.aerostich.com/e-fill-siphon.html jumper cables, clear facesheild and I’m sure I’m missing stuff.

I really like my new RT but I sure do miss the storage.

Jay

14R1200RT

02R1150RT

05DL650

Does the new RT come with a tool kit like the 2013?

If you mean a single small open spanner, a reversible screw driver and a tool to remove the oil filler cup...then yes LOL

I wonder if there is space under the seat for an autocom SPA or do we all have to try bluetooth again?

I'll leave that for another topic, I still haven't decided if I will upgrade yet?

Teddy

The LHS Glovebox can hold your wallet or those "tiny little BMW manuals"..not both. :P

Space under seat for autocom?...Nope, nor in the tail section.

I think that there might be room under the lower side fairings, which are now a lot easier to get off.

At the moment I have a full blown bluetooth arrangement, but also have got an iphone/ipod adapter from BMW (there went another $167,-). Unfortunate it's for the older ihpone3/4 models with the 30 pin connector, while mine is a iphone5 with the 8 pin lightning connector.

Tried a 3rd party adapter but it wouldn't do anything else but charge the phone. I have on order a 30 to 8 pin conversion cable that is supposed to be good for data and audio as well.

If I get that to work, then I will remove the bluetooth pairing of the phone and hopefully drive it via their connector in the RHS glove box.

• 1 month later...
I picked up a tool kit from Adventure Designs http://www.advdesigns.com/ulcotokitfor.html It isn't cheap but it's a very good complete kit. I needed an oil filter cup wrench and spark plug puller (my old plasic one won't cut it on the new RT) so that helped me say why not...

Jay

I am happy to confirm that this is a very high quality tool kit.

Mine is for the Hexhead which is now traded in, so I have to update the plug puller and oil filter wrench.

In this case I can say, you pay accordingly for high quality tools and for once...you actually get what you pay for.

Certainly one of my better purchases in the past.

$250??!!! too rich for my blood. That tool roll has about 30 bucks worth of harbor freight tools - which are quite adequate for most purposes. (unless you don't happen to have a harbor freight store nearby

Archived