IGNORED

2014 R1200RT Test Ride - Ebony

simonB

Hi Gents,

I managed to get out on a test ride this morning on the new RT, what a ride! this bike is great. Although I must temper that with my current bike is a R1100rt with a few too many miles!,

First off a few photos,

13308550205_e2e0093163.jpg

13308568795_13d75c0293.jpg

13308584895_9e2ce22820.jpg

The bike was absolutely fab, buckets of power so roll on overtakes in 6th are effortless, the extra power really made the bike perfect for my style of riding. Coupled with the quick shift the clutch less down shifts coming into corners is great and slightly addictive!

Hill start control is great, used it a couple if times on junctions and can really see the benefit as it just lets you relax when n a gradient rather than (as I have found myself)caught in the loop of trying to control the bike along with timing my exit. The Hill start lets you forget about the brake and then just require you to give it a bit of extra throttle in order to get going.

Gearbox is smoooooth and great real improvement over the 1100 box. Bike really lost its weight especially when you stiffened up the shocks and when you put it through a series of corners. For me the ability to immediately switch to a soft setting for a section of road was great and you can feel loads of change and means you can tailor the bike on the go for a long ride.

It has a lovely engine note esp under load higher up the engine range, not quite the response of an I4 but a lot quicker and freer revving. The 'idrive' Control system was great especially integration with sat nav. I spent time using both it's and was very intuitive and not as distracting as I immediately thought.

Hope this is helpful to anyone!

Thanks for the report and pics! :thumbsup: Don't recall the windscreen R1200 RT decal on the US models.

Pat

Pat - from what I have seen, the R1200RT on the screen is only on the Bmw "comfort" windcreen, but I could be wrong. Simon is that the stock screen or the accessory "comfort" screen?

NB

Just for reference, here is my stock screen, his looks wider to me.

ETA - I also just noticed his screen has some tinting or something covering up the dash area, interesting.

IMAG0237-X2.jpg

Thanks for the report and pics! :thumbsup: Don't recall the windscreen R1200 RT decal on the US models.

Pat

Pat - from what I have seen, the R1200RT on the screen is only on the Bmw "comfort" windcreen, but I could be wrong. Simon is that the stock screen or the accessory "comfort" screen?

NB

Ah, makes sense NB. :thumbsup: The screen does look a little large in those pics.

Pat

Gents,

Thanks for pointing the screen out - I was completely oblivious to it, have emailed the dealer to confirm if it was the Comfort scree.

In the case it was the Comfort screen - I can say it seems a good screen, will be interesting to compare when I get my bike in May!

for ebony, sure looks to have some burgundy or brown in it in the sun....

Its a (for me ) great colour - the photos really don't do it justice, in the flesh it has many different hues to it in the sun ranging from burgundy, metallic green, black along with the flake that is in the paint.

Only thing I found strange was that the reach forward to retract the side stand was slightly difficult, a bit like the stand was a few CM far too forward to scoop comfortably.

Only thing I found strange was that the reach forward to retract the side stand was slightly difficult, a bit like the stand was a few CM far too forward to scoop comfortably.

Yep, same "problem" here.

Even after 3000 miles, I'm still sticking my foot behind the peg to hit the kickstand instead of where it really is, in front.

This too shall pass, I hope.

AD

Even after 3000 miles, I'm still sticking my foot behind the peg to hit the kickstand instead of where it really is, in front.

AD

So we all concur, side-stand position sucks. Not a big problem but certainly not as good as it was on previous bikes.

Anybody else noticed the change in getting it on the center stand?

First it's a lot easier and more stable to get up on the stand.

Second, it's lower then my previous Hexhead, as in, you don't have to lift it as high and far, making it a lot more stable.

Third....getting it off now requires more effort but doesn't make it less stable.

Also, is the center-stand narrower? Or is the bike wider? Reason I mention it, the Hexhead was a pain as you had to stand a certain distance from the bike, so that the center-stand wouldn't catch your leg as it came off it.

With the new one you can stand a lot closer, which gives you more control.

Definitely with you on the ease with which you can plop the Wethead onto and off of the centre stand. I was, quite frankly, shocked. Very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

On the 1100 RT I had I remember that I could put it on the center stand while still seated on the bike and ride off the center stand as well. Doubt if it will ever be that easy again on newer models.

On the 1100 RT I had I remember that I could put it on the center stand while still seated on the bike and ride off the center stand as well. Doubt if it will ever be that easy again on newer models.

What!

That, I'd like to see. The 1100’s and the 1150’s I have been involved with over the years would never do that. Possible to believe if you had aftermarket shocks giving an overly high ride height, otherwise you are looking at lifting the bike at least 3".

How does centerstand effort compare with that of the R1100RT? I find my RT to be pretty easy to put on the center stand, with the retractable aluminum lift handle being a huge asset. Does it still have ~50/50 balance (without cases) on the center stand? This seems to be a balance that BMW has always put a lot of effort into, making it very easy to rotate either wheel.

AD

So we all concur, side-stand position sucks. Not a big problem but certainly not as good as it was on previous bikes.

Not an issue for those of us that don't have stubs for legs. After lowering the standard seat to a ridiculous level for the vertically challenged there is still something to complain about. Note, this is sarcasm.

What!

That, I'd like to see. The 1100’s and the 1150’s I have been involved with over the years would never do that. Possible to believe if you had aftermarket shocks giving an overly high ride height, otherwise you are looking at lifting the bike at least 3".

I used to ride my K100RS always of the center stand, no problem. Not so with the R1150RT + R1200RT (Hexhead).

It might be possible with the new Wethead, but I think the bike is too heavy and the risk for me personally that I could break the center stand is too high.

How does centerstand effort compare with that of the R1100RT? I find my RT to be pretty easy to put on the center stand, with the retractable aluminum lift handle being a huge asset. Does it still have ~50/50 balance (without cases) on the center stand? This seems to be a balance that BMW has always put a lot of effort into, making it very easy to rotate either wheel.

Never had the 1100, but did have the 1150/1200 Hexhead.

The new wethead is a "lot" easier to lift onto the center stand, but harder to get off then the old hexhead. Balance seems to be around 60/40 front/back?? Just guessing.

With the new one requiring less vertical lift then the previous ones, it makes it a lot easier AND more stable. Getting it off is a bit harder then the Hexhead, so I have gone back to be ON the bike when I take her of the center stand. Not sitting but standing over it when taking her off.

The above is with side panniers and probably 3~5kg of gear in them.

Hi Alfred,

+1 on the ease of which the new bike goes on the stand.

Also I have no problem believing you could ride a stick 1100 off the stand ( with the right technique), I was saying I was struggling to believe you could put the stock 1100/1150RT ONTO the stand while seated...maybe if you were very tall.

Anyway, that is a re herring. The issue is, the new 1200 is a breeze to put onto the centre stand.

Hi Alfred,

.....I was saying I was struggling to believe you could put the stock 1100/1150RT ONTO the stand while seated...maybe if you were very tall.

I am quite tall at 6foot two, but there is no way I was able to get a 1150 seated of it's stand. So you are correct, I just misread it.

fourteenfour

Compared to my K1300GT the new RT is a breeze to put on the stand.

Norm LeFevre

I'm 5'7" and 175# and can get the bike on the stand pretty easily. I will say, though, that I miss the beautiful aluminum handle that my 1100RT had. It was a work of art. I'm finding it easiest to get off the stand while stradling the bike.

On a separate note, I have a Park n Move dolly, and the bike hops right on and off, with me on the side.

My bike (Ebony), is absolutely gorgeous in the sun. It's the kind of machine you look back at when you walk away..... sometimes I have to go back - just because!

I'm 5'7" and 175# and can get the bike on the stand pretty easily. I will say, though, that I miss the beautiful aluminum handle that my 1100RT had. It was a work of art. I'm finding it easiest to get off the stand while stradling the bike.

On a separate note, I have a Park n Move dolly, and the bike hops right on and off, with me on the side.

My bike (Ebony), is absolutely gorgeous in the sun. It's the kind of machine you look back at when you walk away..... sometimes I have to go back - just because!

I'm 5'10" and 175 and find this is the easiest RT yet to get on and off the center stand. I also have a Park n Move dolly but for some reason using the old wedge style door stops does not stop my dolly from moving. I just prop a closet rod on the center post of the garage doors and run the dolly up against it and drop the bike off the center stand. Have tried several sizes of door stop with no joy. I had the Wilber 40mm lowering shock kit on my 2009 RT and rather modify the original center stand I bought the OEM low stand. It was difficult to get the bike on the center stand because the OEM low bike was only 30mm but hat seem to make a big difference. The only way to get it up on Park n Move was to first roll the rear tie on to a 2x4.

I too seldom walk away with a second and third look at the beautiful Ebony machine. At various time and light situations I have had people comment about the good looking , Black, Choclate, Brown, Cherry or Purple bike ... I always just say Thank You ... There has been ample critizem of the new colors by BMW on the 2014 RT but I for one think they are are all very special and cover the spectrum. I paid big bucks for the custom paint to have my 67 Chevy El Camino 396 painted with black, silver and cherry diamond cut paint mix. It has the same effect as the motorcycle constantly changing shades. I guess it's all in the eye of beholder.

I have no problem getting any BMW off of the centerstand whilst seated on it.

YMMV

:wave:

I guess being able to stand flatfooted over them on their centerstands isn't so bad...

I still have my 02 R1150RT with the handle and boy do you need it, my new RT 2014 is cake. The handle on the older RT's made for some good converstion too. Lot's of folks didn't know what it was for.

Jay

Archived