IGNORED

A BMW hater rides the 14 RT...

Troppo

Hello all.

I have been an unabashed BMW hater for years. I have ridden various RT and GS models and come away deeply unimpressed. They didn't offer any decent level of performance, the gearbox was tractor-like, the drive train full of slop and the boxer twin was just downright weird. I clearly didn't “get it”.

A bit about me – 53 yo, 41 years on 2 wheels, with a predilection for rockets. Among others, I have owned a GSX-R1000, a Blackbird, a FJR1300, a ZX14, a B-King and a Busa. I like the rush of an i4.

I currently ride a Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer and a Triumph Street Triple R.

The Tiger Explorer is nice, but I am over the whole adventure-bike-on-stilts thing. I’m in the market for a pure road bike tourer.

Said tourer must be relatively light (under 300 kg), handle well, have good weather protection and (of course) good performance.

I have been very seriously considering the new FJR. I always had a soft spot for my 2006 FJR, and the new one looks good. Kind of like coming back to an old girlfriend after a few years away...

That old girlfriend does have a few blemishes in the harsh light of day, though…the FJR seating position is canted forward somewhat, and the slow speed handing is still as heavy as I remember.

Browsing the net the other day, I came across a picture of the new RT. The looks grabbed me straight away, particularly the nose section. I felt a little bit dirty and uncomfortable…. :P

As one does, I then dug around various web reviews and owner web sites. Of course, all the reviews have been universally positive. Yeah, yeah, typical Bring More Wallet fan boys, I thought… :)

What the hell – give it a shot, let’s see what all the fuss is about…. So, I spent an hour on a demo bike today. The weather was typical Australian late summer – 28 deg C and sunny.

Unfortunately, most of the hour was stuck in peak hour traffic, so I have extensive experience of how the bike commutes…..!

The seating position is nice and neutral for my 5 foot ten inch, averaged proportioned body. It was strange having a large dash full of dials and lights in front of you initially, and the big boxer lumps tended to restrict foot movement. However, after the first 20 minutes, I got used to it.

The bike is very easy to ride. The clutch and throttle are light and the brakes work well. The controls do indeed “fall easily to hand”. The levers are particularly good.

Slow speed steering and manoeuvrability are excellent – much better than an FJR or a Concours.

To be very nit picky, the throttle response off idle can be a bit snatchy in ROAD mode, and the clutch take up point is a fair way out, but these issues are easily ridden around by any competent motorcyclist. Part of the legendary “character” I have read so much about I suppose.

I was surprised by the engine. It is the smoothest boxer I have ridden. There is a very slight amount of vibration at idle – you can see the screen shake slightly. None of the violent lateral shake I was used to from earlier boxers, though…

Once moving, the engine smooths out and goes well. There is plenty of grunt off idle and midrange is excellent. Yes, it doesn’t have the legs of an i4, but, as other reviews have said, the abundant torque makes it pleasant to dawdle about on.

There is more than ample shove if you get enthusiastic. It is on par with my Explorer for performance. Dynamic mode makes the engine quite lively, at the expense of some snatch off idle.

The gearbox and drive train are very refined (for a BMW… :) ). There is a small clunk going into first, but shifts up and down the box were smooth, glitch free and very un-boxer-like. Not quite Suzuki standard, but certainly better than my Triumph.

I’m quite experienced with quickshifters, having had one on my Street Triple R since new. I thought that a quickshifter on a tourer would be about as useful as a coffee cup holder on a sport bike…but, no.

The quickshifter works well, surprisingly well for a boxer. As with all of these shift assist devices, you need to be in the right rev range with the right engine load – but if you are, it is very good.

Dynamic mode and the quickshifter make for some excitement….all performance is relative, but for what it is, the new watercooled boxer gets up and goes very well. OK, it isn’t a Busa, but it will pull hard if you ask it to…

Similarly, the clutchless downshifts are an interesting feature – provided you completely close the throttle. The bike gives a nice little automatic blip of the throttle if you get it right... Not something that I would use all the time, but good fun now and again.

Hill assist function? Why would an experienced motorcyclist need such a numpty device? It was almost embarrassing thinking about it…! ;)

Well, I’m a convert. Being able to take your hand/foot off the brake when stopped on an incline is just wonderful. Of course, you need to use more throttle and slip the clutch when you take off…..otherwise you stall it….as I found out….twice….

I’m an unabashed airflow pedant – I fiddled with my Explorer for weeks to get a calm bubble of air behind the screen. Well, those crafty Germans have got the RT airflow management spot on. With the screen all the way down, you get a cooling blast of air right at your visor. Push the button, and the airflow moves over your helmet. That’s it.

The suspension felt plush, but I didn’t exceed 60 km/hr (30 MPH) much, so I can’t really comment.

Fit and finish is excellent. The RT is one of those bikes you always turn and look at after you park it….

The electronics are intuitive and simple to use. I like the dedicated buttons for the ride mode and the windscreen. The radio was interesting, not that I had much time to use it. Similarly, traffic was too heavy for the cruise control.

I want to get another ride on open roads, so I can throw the bike about a bit more, test the airflow at higher speeds and verify cruise control operation.

I’m sure I won’t be disappointed.

I’m a convert….I’m spun out..….

duckbubbles

The suspension felt plush, but I didn’t exceed 60 km/hr (30 MPH) much, so I can’t really comment.

But that's the part I was waiting for!

Frank

Glad you like the new RT, very few negatives reported so far. Welcome to the board and just for the record, you can ride anything you like and still be welcomed here. :thumbsup:

Pat

Thanks Pat.

As an overall package, the new RT is very impressive.

As I said in the review, I need to ride it on a motorway (interstate) for a bit. I plan to do this on Monday.

I will also be riding a possible replacement for my Street Triple R - the new S1000R.... :Cool:

Rgds

If they could just get the styling right. Nice bike, crappy looks.

I'd settle for better colors. Adjustable bars would be nice too.

I thought they finally got the styling right on the new RT. :thumbsup: Now if it had adjustable bars like the K12GT, that would be nice.

I thought they finally got the styling right on the new RT. :thumbsup: Now if it had adjustable bars like the K12GT, that would be nice.

I agree. Style is a personal thing, but I have hated the look of of the pre LC 1200RT's.

The New one is not as beautiful as the R1100RT & R1150RT, but it is so much more appealing than the model it replaces. They have started to get back to making the bike look more integrated instead of the 'bitty' look of the older 1200.

Well, keep the rider reports coming in. we want to hear all the salient points both bad not just the good things.

Andy

Uncle Beemer
That's one of the things I really like about it....the looks.

YMMV...

:grin:

That's just my opinion of course. I just hate the angular look nowadays.

Hate to say it, but as we age, we also mature. A motorcycle can be many things. A "rocket" as you state. A sedate mount for transporting oneself to must-to destinations. And a balanced, comfortable, spirit-on-demand partner to transport oneself to want-to destinations.

I was a fan of the former during my earlier years. Never really had a use for the numbness of must-to riding. And am passionate about my RT (even if it's a generation or three behind the latest one) as my friend and companion in getting me to the places I really want to visit and ride with friends.

Each of us is different, and we arrive at various realizations at different ages. There are riders my age still addicted to the adrenaline blast of a crotch rocket. Try a BMW S1000RR if you haven't yet. But I've never found (having also owned an FJR) a motorcycle that delivers all of the things I want in the balance I want, than an RT.

If it ends up being your choice, it's as much about BMW developing a more refined and powerful RT, as it is about the owner finally developing an understanding of what a BMW RT is all about in the first place.

Clive Liddell

Hi Troppo,

I am mostly interested in the "management" of the hot air off the radiators. If they have managed to keep it off the riders legs and body I would have a serious look at it...

I am asking you because most Northern Hemisphere riders would probably not even get the thermostat open yet.

Hey Clive, I'm not sure that 'most Northern Hemisphere riders would probably not even get the thermostat open yet' comment was a compliment or not. It often gets to a dizzying 21C in the summer. We get a summer every 4-5 years too!

Hello Clive

I rode the demo fairly hard (even managed to have the ASC flash a few times), by riding it through tight sweepers on country back-roads. Temperature was 31C and sunny, hardly any wind.

As Australia is close to Africa's weather condition, when the temps are up, the air temperature is fairly high as well, contrary to Europe where even if it's sort of hot, the air itself is usually quite cool, once you get up to speed.

I know as I am originally from Germany and didn't come over here before the age of 21.

In regards to heat on the new Wethead:

There is "0"(Zero) heat on your legs. I know for sure as I did the demo ride wearing jeans only (to me an absolute NO NO, but I broke my own rules as my riding pants were at a shop to have a new zipper put in.)

But..

I have felt on the demo and now on the way home from the dealer with my own new bike just a slight heat on my left side foot, wearing riding boots.

It is mild and I have no explanation for it as it doesn't make any sense, due to the radiator fan being on the RHS.

It never increased above the just noticeable above ambient outside temp.

Then again, I won't be testing it any further by wearing thongs that I still see some idiots use on bikes.

Hi Troppo,

I am mostly interested in the "management" of the hot air off the radiators. If they have managed to keep it off the riders legs and body I would have a serious look at it...

I am asking you because most Northern Hemisphere riders would probably not even get the thermostat open yet.

Hello,

It was probably 30C in stop/start traffic, and the temp bars were near the top of the scale. I was in jeans, and did not feel a thing.

If it ends up being your choice, it's as much about BMW developing a more refined and powerful RT, as it is about the owner finally developing an understanding of what a BMW RT is all about in the first place.

Thanks. I always have two bikes....and the second will probably be a new S1000R (naked).

:)

Hello,

It was probably 30C in stop/start traffic, and the temp bars were near the top of the scale. I was in jeans, and did not feel a thing.

Wow. Temp bar in the top of the scale!!

I've been stuck in interstate traffic and only seen "7" on the bar count here in Florida.

Also, there is no noticeable heat coming from the outlets on to the rider. You can put your hand down there and feel it but it does deflect out and away, even when the fan comes on in dead stop traffic.

AD

Hello,

Wow. Temp bar in the top of the scale!!

I've been stuck in interstate traffic and only seen "7" on the bar count here in Florida.

Also, there is no noticeable heat coming from the outlets on to the rider. You can put your hand down there and feel it but it does deflect out and away, even when the fan comes on in dead stop traffic.

AD

It's been near 49˚C here in the summer. Don't get stuck in traffic in those temps.

Clive Liddell

Thanks for the comments that are all positive re heat management. Now only a LOTTO win needed :)

Alfred, I was wondering if, on the LH "non-fanned" radiator, the hot air moving slower may be eddying downward onto your left boot? If the warmth is off the small cylinder fins it should be equal on both sides?

Clive

I have added from 41km yesterday to new odometer reading 149km today.

Went up a mountain to a small town from sea level to + 1000feet above.

Slow speed, high speed, traffic stop go etc, haven't felt the heat again.

I am guessing what I felt might have been the sun on my LHS.

Anyway, heat on boot has gone even with the radiator fan coming on.

Temperatures started at 23.5C and went up to 29C, so similar to yesterday.

So same as my previous 2005RT Hexhead, no heat felt coming from the bike.

I felt a touch of heat on warm days here, right on the front shin area of my boots. It was rather mild though and not something that bothered me. We will have to wait and see if this changes as the temps rise.

As far as the radiator fan, I was surprised about this. Based on the shape of the "gill" it looks like the fan would blow the heat diagonally back which may just glance off you, but I have noticed it blows more like straight out, at a right angle to the bike, and stays away from the rider completely.

NB

Archived