IGNORED

clutch cable replacement

BRT Rider

My clutch cable broke while I was riding my 2000 R1100RT yesterday. I was fortunate that I was able to ride it to a friends home several miles away.

I ordered a cable and will be replacing it later this week. I'm checking out the Haynes manual and it mentions removal of the swingarm to access and inspect the clutch cable operating mechanism (clutch pushrod etc.).

My question... is it necessary to remove swingarm for replacing the clutch cable only? I hope not it looks like a PITA. My bike isn't home with me now so I can't check it out. I want to be prepared when travel back to my friends home to do the job.

Any comments, advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

is it necessary to remove swingarm for replacing the clutch cable only?

No.

Just loosen it up at the clutch lever, slip it out at the clutch end. Easy job.

Biggest problem is routing the cable. I don't remember if you have to pull the tank to do it.

Biggest reason for breaking clutch cables is not greasing the parts at the clutch lever. They quit rotating and cause the wire strands to flex leading to breakage.

Stan

Thanks Stan! It's a releif that I won't have to remove the swingarm since I won't be in my own garage where I am more comfortable. Years ago I replaced a clutch cable on my 85 K100RT, by taping the new cable to the bottom of the old cable, and pulled it through. This worked because there were no clips or ties holding it in place. I hope I can do the same for my RT.

hi bruce

you wont have to do that on the rt just take off the rhs plastics release the cable from the clips and as stan says the rest is plain sailing. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

stay upright

derek

Pardon the hijack: 1)On an older '98 RT are you supposed to lube the cable at all (like on a Harley) or do you just pust some grease on the ends like you guys were saying? 2)What sort of grease would be okay w/o buying special BMW grease? White lithium, wheel bearing grease, etc.?

Thanks for any advice.

are you supposed to lube the cable at all

No. The cables require no lubrication, in fact, lubrication can cause problems by trapping dirt.

What sort of grease would be okay w/o buying special BMW grease?

Almost anything will work. I use an old can of Sta-Lube Molybium Multi-Purpose Grease that is so old I can't remember where it came from. I may have been born with it for all I know... at the rate I'm using it up it surely will pass on to my kids.

Stan

Archived