IGNORED

Yellowstone in end of May?

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

I have a couple of friends who want me to join them for a ride from Los Angeles area to Yellowstone (and possibly Mt Rushmore), after Memorial day(end of May). I have never been to either.

Concerns -

- Weather that early in summer?

- Hotels? (They want to "wing it" and just find a room each night)

- Slabbing between here and Yellowstone... all the way up 15? (Boring)

Comments? Thanks! :wave:

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Dave

Route wise, you're sort of hosed until you trade time for routes. Maybe 93 to Twin Falls and then 84 over to the East? I took that from 80 then up 15 into Canada last year and it was not unpleasant.....for slabbing. Perhaps don't cut over there and go up a bit farther....Arco and then start going east/northeast?

Maybe 395 all the way up until you get into northern climes and then cut straight east to Boise and then 84?

I didn't have any issues not pre-booking hotels.

Also, there are some must do roads up that way. A couple out of Yellowstone (I think, haven't been on and don't have my maps). Northern MT, above Missoula, has some amazing country that I have been on.

Best wishes.

Weather should be ok.

But late May last year in Jackson WY there were no rooms available. Nowhere.

And people were just wandering in looking for rooms. So certain places may be a problem without a reservation.

dc

Have you considered taking in the UnRally in Moscow on June 16 to 18th during your trip? That would let you ride some of the great roads in NE Oregon on your way to or from and only put you a days ride from west Yellowstone over some great roads (including Lolo Pass - Highway 12). If I was choosing between Moscow area and Mt. Rushmore, I'd pick Moscow for the variety available, although there are some nice roads once you get to the Black Hills.

The weather in mid-June is usually fairly warm and sunny, although it can be rainy and cool. Most roads should be open by the end of May, although some of the high elevation passes that aren't maintained over the winter may still be closed due to snow. At that time of year, we generally wing it for our motels except for right around Yellowstone where it can be fairly busy from mid-June to mid-September.

You haven't said how much time you have available. If it is really short, you could ride the slab 1 way and stretch it out a little more for your return trip.

If you would like specific route suggestions, I've ridden most of the roads in the area.

Archived