IGNORED

Wiring Accessories

Mike05

Has anyone addressed where to tap in to a power source wire so when you turn the bike off all the added accessories turn off as well? You know the one I mean, not the positive wire to the battery but that other little wire you connect to a live source on the bike that tells the accessory the bike has been turned off.

Said another way, I know I can tap in to one of the fuses under the seat but if I understand it correctly the power to the accessories doesn't really turn off for about another 45 seconds or so.

I'm planning to wire directly to the battery (relay in between) a set of Motolights. That's fine as far as it goes but if I install a Centech fuse panel & use the same power off source then in theory everything running thru the fuse panel could remain on for a while after the key is turned off.

Long-winded way to ask; where do I tap in to a power source (and which one) for the fuse block that shuts everything off when the key is turned off? Always used the parking lights on previous models but am told that won't work on the Wetheads.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike: If you were to install the fuse panel and connect the moto-lights to it then the moto-light relay would prevent a potential battery drain. The relay is tripped by a connection to the headlight or taillight. This wire is also in line with the switch. Very little power is required to trip the relay.

You could also place a relay between the fuse panel and the positive terminal of the battery which is tripped by the headlight. Hope this helps.

Mike: The relay is tripped by a connection to the headlight or taillight.

And therein lies the opportunity. That's the connection I'm looking for. I think one of the wires in the accessory outlet (blue/green? not sure) might work. I've heard conflicting reports about the fuses under the seat (can leave power on for 20 minutes plus?) so still looking.

I've given up on finding an absolute ignition key on/off switch power source & now will be satisfied with one that shuts down in 30 seconds or so. Somebody on the Adventure Rider's Board has done this successfully but I've lost track of the posts describing it.

Hi All,

Finally picked one!

Seems like there are lots of choices depending on who you talk to but I ended up using a Posi-Tap on the red wire for the GPS (behind the GPS in the dash) as a "switched" trigger wire for a Centech fuse block.

• 2 months later...
bubbamoore

Just installed one under the passenger seat and used the rear powerlet positive wire to trigger. So far works great !

Archived