IGNORED

Shipping to Canada

jsmith

I'm about to order a jacket and pants from Aerostich, but was wondering if I will have to pay duties, GST and PST. confused.gif Has anyone here done this?

Jim

I understand that any merchandise MADE in the USA does not pay duty in Canada. Any merchandise made somewhere else (China?) would pay duties even if imported from the USA. Good thing is that as far as I know Aerostitch garments are still made in the USA.

Jim,

I had a (used) RCU shelf UPS'ed to me from the Chicago area, just to find out that I had to pay 'bout Can $30.00 in duty. The item was tagged as a US $100.00 value.

Needless to say, I returned it to sender and he was kind enough to mail it to me via U.S. Postal service. I got it and several other items mailed on other occasions, no problem.

If they have a slow day at the border, they'll open the parcel, assess the value and charge you duty (and handling (and maybe taxes?)). Mailing it with the U.S. Post, you have a better chance of slipping under the radar.

Increase your chances of a dutyfree shipment by asking Aerostitch to mail the jacket and pants to you and mark it low $ and 'Sample'?.

Good luck

Jurgen

When I bought my Roadcrafter 1 1/2 years ago I paid no duty but did pay GST. I used the company UPS account to ship. I just had a cable shipped up and I paid both GST and PST. I find that if you ship via UPS you will generally not pay. Postal Service you will pay.

But like the man said I suppose it depends on who is looking? eek.gif

It's under 1,000 miles each way...why not wait for some decent weather and ride down and try it on in person? I seriously doubt they would question you riding back into Canada with your new gear....plus (as I am sure you know) that is a sweet area (I rode through there in June).

If you want to avoid rediculous brokerage fees, have anything from the US shipped by the US Postal Service - ground parcel. At the post office, all you'll pay are the taxes and a $5 handling fee.

The minute you get UPS or FedEx involved, break out the wallet. Also note that even if you use the USPS and have it shipped ultra quick, you might have to pay brokerage fees as well.

You will have to pay PST and GST on the Canadian value of the goods. The CCRA use better exchange rates than those posted on any site.

If you live close to a border, have your order shipped to The UPS Store on the US side. This way you can try it on and if the fit isn't right, ship it back without the hassles of Canadian charges. It gets complicated if you have to exchange something you order; you've already paid taxes and when you get the replacement, you have to pay all over again and then submit paperwork for a refund.

There is a UPS Store In Niagara Falls, NY.

Duty No but GST and PST yes.

I bought a Roadcrafter a couple of years back and it was shipped by US Postal airmail which then got transferred to Purolator Courier on the CDN side. Brokerage was done by PBB Global they only charged $7.50 fees as the item was duty free.

Just make sure the customs declaration says "motorcycle safety clothing" as the description else you may have to pay duty.

Enjoy!

I suppose the few Canadians who regularly buy items for their rides from the U.S.,(where else??), are going to agree, U.S. Postal is the only way to go.

I will not purchase from a vendor who will not or can not ship USPS.

It is perhaps better now but after paying a $35.00-$50.00 brokerage fee at FedEx a couple of times for a $10.00 item...well, I swore I would never use a courier again.

The UPS Store is a great idea, we have one in Massena N.Y., just over the bridge from Cornwall Ont. Unfortunatly the bridge tolls are now $6.00 each way...so you have to factor in the gas, tolls, and taxes if you decide to bring the items home...which is what you bought the stuff for anyway, right? You might look suspicious sitting in a SUV wearing a one piece 'Stich blush.gif

Jim

Thanks for all the replies. No matter what you want to do, there's always someone on this board thats been there, done that. I appreciate the help. thumbsup.gif

Jim

US postal is the only way to go. Canada Post will collect the GST and PST, and a $5 fee.

Sometimes smaller items go through without the above.

I ordered Mitch's tire bar, and FED-EX added $44 to the prepaid shipping. I know that UPS and FedEx work well in the states, but if you ship internationally, look out!!

Gadget Magnet

I was gonna say what the others said about shipping by post office, not UPS.. but about 3 weeks ago, I received a package shipped by UPS. When they knocked at my door, they only collected the PST/GST, I was surprised. Previously, it was break out the wallet and pay them some sort of brokerage fee... Maybe because it was a low value, that's why there was no brokerage fee.. don't know...

I was gonna say what the others said about shipping by post office, not UPS.. but about 3 weeks ago, I received a package shipped by UPS. When they knocked at my door, they only collected the PST/GST, I was surprised. Previously, it was break out the wallet and pay them some sort of brokerage fee... Maybe because it was a low value, that's why there was no brokerage fee.. don't know...

If you paid for the item by credit card check in about three weeks for the "Customs Handling Fee" that gets tacked on.

I use US Postal Service if possible, but FedEx and UPS seem to have lowered their fees recently. I just got some replacement computer parts shipped FedEx from California for GST plus only $7.00 Cdn. But I have paid as much as $25.00 Cdn with UPS in the past.

Mike Cassidy

Eckhard Grohe

I bought something from First Gear, the Autocom folks, in the fall and it came up by UPS Express. If you get it sent by UPS Express there is no brokerage fee. You can also call UPS and prepay the GST/PST with your credit card so they can just leave it at the door. Check their site for all the details.

In the summer I drive down to the UPS store in Plattsburgh if I have the time. Ahhhh, the summer.

Archived