IGNORED

Tool for lead connectors

johnlt

Does anyone know where I can buy a tool that will allow me to make custom length leads with either the mini or submini (1/8” and 3/32”) plugs either straight or at right angles. I know I can buy the connectors at RS but it just isn’t as good as the ones that seem to be vulcanized. Thanks,

johnlt

Jerry Johnston

If you find a place I'd like to know myself where to get them. I usually buy a cable to get one end that is molded and end up cutting the other end to put the (not so great) solder type connector on the other end.

There are many types of heat shrink tubing, find the stuff with the adheasive inside (harder to find) , its real thick tubing.

Check marine supply stores for the waterproof, adhesive shrink tubing.

Does anyone know where I can buy a tool that will allow me to make custom length leads with either the mini or submini (1/8” and 3/32”) plugs either straight or at right angles. I know I can buy the connectors at RS but it just isn’t as good as the ones that seem to be vulcanized. Thanks,

These plugs are not "vulcanized". They are "insert molded". That means you need a plastic injection molding machine (tens of thousands of dollars) and a steel mold (minimum $5000, and more like double or triple that).

Insert molding is a process where a part (like your raw plug with wire hanging out of it) are inserted into a mold and then plastic (usually vinyl in this case) is injected at pressures up to 20,000PSI.

It is possible to do it with near-zero pressure with a silicone mold and the correct grade of polyurethane such as the Devcon's "Flexane 60" 2-part urethane. I have done this, but it requires a fair amount of skill and some vacuum de-airing equipment.

Bob.

Archived